I also want to say a BIG thanks to the first students through the course. We LOVE the feedback. I've already uploaded two new videos relating to sidelap/overlap, and a quick tutorial on scanning a structure into the Mapping Concepts lecture. I can't promise as rapid of updates in the future, but wanted to get those out ASAP on our first day live!

• Like 2

Lewis, great course. Thank you for being open to topic enhancement/bolstering considerations for this course. I look forward to monitoring any updates to it. 

Alan, nice job rolling this out.  Its a sector many of us are interesting in but not sure how to get started.  This is a perfect 101 class.  Now we need 201 class that dives into business model, pricing, contract negotiation, risk insurance, 3D printing services that do great work, comparison of cloud based 3d dashboard models to use with clients w/pros/cons of each.  There are tons of data layers in the DroneDeploy/MapsMadeEasy - could we focus on how best to price some of these premium layers.  Volumetric calculations should cost ? vs. Mapping an area.   

• Like 2

Lewis - Looking at your use of aerial images to calculate 3D volume specific measurement information for your clients is really impressive. I am less than experienced with this process, but am soon to receive an Inspire 2 with X5S. Your technology partner, Skycatch, does not have this drone + camera listed in their product lineup. Would this equipment serve well as a platform for this type of application? If yes then what size lenses and at what flight altitudes would you recommend for use of the I2 + X5S?

I also assume that your online mapping course details how to adjust for the least accurate dimension provided by DJI drones and their EXIF files, the Z axis, which is crucial for volume calculations.

Thank you sir,

Michael Watson

Michael,

I'm sitting next to the same setup that you have currently (although I use it more for visual work). You can use it, I'd advise using Drone Deploy or the DJI GS Pro app. The shorter the lens the better. If you put on a 45mm lens, that is a very narrow FOV. I'd go with a standard shorter lens of 12/14/15 or whatever their packages currently are. We discuss parameters that will drive what altitude you want to fly at. With the x5S you could fly 200-400 and still have great outputs, which should be above most obstacles. 

The course does not cover correction for the Z axis. That starts to go beyond automated processing into using Pix4D or a similar program, which is another can of worms. We've had success not doing corrections and using ground control points and come very close to what surveyors have measured. It ultimately comes down to how accurate you are hoping to me. 

Hi Lewis, I read something about a course being given online? Two questions: (1) is this related to drone surveying and mapping; (2) is this course given online; (3) am I too late to register?

I just joined today. Sincere apologies if any of the above questions are misguided. In any event, thanks for your time and attention to these questions. 

Frank

Frank, 

There is an online course, you can find it here: https://learn.uavcoach.com/p/mapping-and-modeling

1) It is related to drone "surveying" and mapping. "Surveying" because it is taking known measurements the way a surveyor typically would. The level of accuracy is not as absolute as these methods. That said, it is still quick, cheap, actionable, and "good enough" for many applications. 

2) The course is online!

3) It is NEVER too late to register. The course is self paced and available 24/7. 

Let me know if you have any more questions! 

LB