My first experience with Typhoon Q500 G (GoPro version) on a mountain bike using wizard in watch me mode. Using iPhone app with phone mounted on handle bars. Included some of the things that are typically not good with the G model and the more editing that tends to be required. It has sample footage showing some of the issues. 
You can use the iPhone app to turn on/off the GoPro just before take off/landing, but the range is shorter than using the ST10+ remote. You can't turn the GoPro camera using the ST10+ but you can get a greater distance from the video link. Also using the ST10+ on a mountain bike would be problematic. The biggest challenge with the Typhoon G is its tendency to reveal rotors and skids. I've Included the addition of the CGO3 camera (Typhoon 4K) in the last sunset clip which shows no skids or rotors. The Typhoon G is a great way in train and get more experience, before upgrading to a 4K camera.  dllvATBNKqs

Christian, 

Please find my "Work in Progress" reposted. My biggest challenge is the color correction in cloudy conditions and Editing the rotors and skids from the Typhoon G GoPro shots. Thank in advance for your feedback

-Scott

Scott-

Awesome. Sorry for the slight delay in feedback. Things have continued to be busy with the holidays.

First off, I think the color in a lot of the shots is done very nicely. Did you color correct everything in this video? I think it looks especially nice in some of the sunset shots. It is a little hard to color correct in shots with uneven lighting, like the cloudy shots as you mentioned. Are you coming across any particular problem when trying to do this? I want to know more about your process and the particular issue you are facing.

Second, I think for what you are trying to do with this video it works well. Correct me if I am wrong but you are trying to showcase the follow me mode on the aircraft as well as the quality and kinds of shots it can get? The only major thing I would change for this type of video is to add some cross dissolves maybe between the shots that way it doesn't just cut right into the next thing. Might make it look a little bit more polished.

Also, good work with the titles/notes for each shot, maybe just expand the textbox background area a little more so the words are not right up to the edge of the background box?

Lastly, pay attention to shots that have a weird or incorrect movement with the drone or camera, like an adjusting move. In one of your shots, at 00:00:48:00, the drone turns to the left to get the shot you want. Showing that random left turn to adjust for the shot is not necessary and it looks much more cinematic to just have the shot fade right into where it is looking straight after that left turn. In general with aerials it is always best to edit out movements like that that are not actually contributing to the shot and are there only for setting up the actual shot you are trying to show.

Let me know if this makes sense and what you think!

Looking forward to seeing another cut.

Best,
Christian

Christian, 

Good to know about color correction in cloudy shots. I'm a bit torn with too much green for the sage brush, when most everything is actually brown, but for purposes of this demo I agree with you. No one wants to see a Panorama of ugly brown brush. The sun shining on it made and especially challenging.

Couldn't find the function to adjust the text box background. Pulling my hair out on that one. 

Yes I'll edit that left turn out. On some of this, it's just seeing the forest from the trees. I'm learning less is more with aerials. 

Also just to confirm, it is better to shoot with the camera settings set to "natural" rather than gorgeous or raw, when using The CGO3 camera?

Happy Holidays!

Scott

• Like 1

Scott,

I would say, whatever setting is the default, normal no-frills setting, that is what you should use. On that camera, I am not sure if it is natural or raw or something else but you want whatever setting doesn't give you color correction in the camera. You always want to record without the camera doing anything by itself, like color adjustments, so you have maximum latitude to adjust things on your own in post.

Christian