Spitfire76

Autel Robotics laying off US staff

7 posts in this topic

Greetings Spitfire76,

Agreed, I almost did the same thing!! WHEW!!

This seems to be a re-occurring theme and with DJI discontinuing some of their line (Phantom 4) in favor of what appears to be more commercially applicable products (more expensive) there will eventually be an ever growing market gap leaving only toys at one end and high-end systems at the other.

Clear Skies

I purchased a X-Star premium and I'm glad I did.

Camera is better than the Phantom 3Pro, you don't have to get permission from anyone to arm, it just works as advertised.  

The hobby-toy market is flattening out, its why DJI is trying to move into the commercial space.  DJI seems to be trying to leverage their existing consumer value chain in the commercial market.  The problem for DJI is that their current value chain is not capable of delivering order-of- magnitude benefits or creating sufficient barriers to entry to all but technology enthusiasts and hobbyists. In fact the more they leave the safety of consumers, with their unbridled optimism, in favor of commercial operators, with outright hype, there’s too little gain for too much pain. For commercial operators, DJI products are not very compelling and are leaving potential customers equivocal to their true value.

The problem for both DJI and AUTEL is that you can't turn a toy into a professional tool. 

Posted (edited)

@Av8Chuck, I must admit I was and maybe still tempted to get a X-Star premium. I do like the idea of being able to upgrade the camera and they announced that a 20MP camera would be available later this year. Also, at least until the end of this month, if you purchase one they give you a $150 refund for the Part 107 exam so effectively making it $649.

Edited by Spitfire76

People often get hung up on features when choosing a drone rather than its ability to complete a mission.  I think the Original camera is better than the camera that comes on the Phantom P3Pro but the drone itself is not as feature rich and is not as responsive while flying.  But for simple aerial i just works great.

For the price, reliability and the fact that it ISN'T a DJI, if it does what you need it to do its pretty hard to beat.  

1 person likes this

I agree Av8Chuck, I fly the Autel X-Star premium also. So far I have been happy with the performance.I use my X-Star for commercial purposes and it meets all my needs. Although I must admit that I have never flown a DJI or any other system, so I guess I have nothing to compare it to.