Kirk

Drone Insurance?

I know this question gets asked a lot, but this isn't a question. I've been seeing on the Facebook drone pages that more and more pilots are getting "personal article insurance" to cover their potential loss or damage to their drone. I like the idea of using my local/personal insurance (State Farm) for as many things that I can because they are right here. I went in to my agent sat down and asked a million questions. I never like to skirt the real fact that I run a Drone photo business. With that clear in my agents head she told me that a personal article insurance policy was not possible because it is for a residential not commerical person. Now that might all be obvious to all of you but here comes the zinger in my mind. Are all of us that fly with a part 107 license not commercial. Therefore no one with a part 107 license can be insured under a personal article policy?

It seems to me, if I'm interpreting what you wrote correctly, that your broker was saying: "I'm not going to insure you or your drone on your personal policy because you are using it for commercial purposes." Maybe you should have asked, do they offer commercial insurance for drones?

State Farm does not offer commercial drone insurance. But that's not the point of my thread. Point of thread is this. People buying personal artical insurance that have a part 107 (commercial) certification is not the correct coverage.

Admittedly I've never heard of "personal article" insurance, but I believe what you're describing I've heard called "hull" insurance. The idea is that if you're a commercial sUAS operator, you should absolutely have a liability insurance policy that covers damages and claims by third parties.

And then hull insurance would cover your actual aircraft. I actually don't chat with too many pilots who have hull insurance. My own thoughts are that there's a big difference in insuring a $30,000 fixed wing system or a $50,000 high-end cinematography system vs. something like a DJI Phantom or Inspire.

We put together this guide here which you might find helpful:

http://uavcoach.com/drone-insurance-guide

AMA's insurance does not cover commercial operations whatsoever.  They are a great organization for recreational pilots only. So the annual membership would provide that coverage when you are flying as a hobbyist, but NOT as a Part 107 Certificate holder.

Good point Alan made, I cannot see paying the extra for hull insurance on something that like a DJI Phantom, Inspire or in my case the typhoon H and Q, .  you wind up paying a lot more for the insurance than the replacement cost of the unit. My current coverage is with http://www.aerialpak.com/ 

Good coverage and I found it to be cost effective.  Just like getting your homeowners or vehicle coverage , everyone should look around ask a lot of questions and see what is best for your situation.

• Like 1

My company, http://www.verifly.com offers instant, on-demand drone insurance for personal and commercial pilots. It offers third party liability and invasion of privacy cover regardless of whether you are flying for fun or for profit. No application process - just search "Verifly" in the App Store or Google Play. All policies are underwritten by Global Aerospace.

Jay Bregman

CEO

• Like 1

I just participated in a beta program for the coming updated version of Verifly that provides a way to extend coverage to restricted zones when you have permission. Jay's company is to be commended for responding to the needs of the commercial drone industry. Thank you, Jay!

https://www.TheDroneProfessor.com

Edited by Drone Professor

1 minute ago, Drone Professor said:

I just participated in a beta program for the coming updated version of Verifly that provides a way to extend coverage to restricted zones when you have permission. Jay's company is to be commended for responding to the needs of the commercial drone industry. Thank you, Jay!

This version is now live on both app stores. Thanks again to our beta testers! More coming soon!

9 hours ago, Jay Bregman said:

My company, http://www.verifly.com offers instant, on-demand drone insurance for personal and commercial pilots. It offers third party liability and invasion of privacy cover regardless of whether you are flying for fun or for profit. No application process - just search "Verifly" in the App Store or Google Play. All policies are underwritten by Global Aerospace.

Jay Bregman

CEO

Verifly coverage for liability beats the $1,000 I paid last year. Now use Verifly exclusively...

• Like 1

I've decided that Verifly is the way to go for me. I like the option of different coverages for job to job.

• Like 1

I have similar questions but I live in Europe. In Europe the requirements are varied by each member country. Some are easy and some extremely difficult. Here in Hungary there are pretty loose requirements for flying but they will change in 2018. Currently, you must be a licensed pilot to legally fly (although unless you are actually stopped which doesn't happen unless you do something bad, no one checks). I am a FAA licensed pilot SEL but way out of currency. I took the ALC-451 course but cannot apply it to the UAS license as I am out of currency and the FAA has removed all designated examiners out of Europe. So, I do not have the license yet for the UAS. I plan to take the test in May when I am in Las Vegas as a tourist so I will have that problem more or less solved and can then transfer that certification over to the EASE UAS license. The $155 test is a lot less expensive than the over 1,000 Euro course and test here in Europe.

I carry along with me my FAA license, my certificate of completion of the Part 107 course, operator's handbook, and a logbook which shows maintenance etc. and so far that has been enough. However, I don't attempt to break the laws.

Anyway, I was planning to take my DJI Phantom 4 with me to Austria in a few weeks but Austria has what I think are the strictest requirements yet. It is wildly complicated as only the Austrians or Swiss can do, but, basically if you take pictures at all it must be registered as an aircraft (250 Euros plus depends on processing time), you must have a UAS license, you must submit 3 photos also showing controller, an airworthiness certificate (the DJI manual is sufficient) and you also must have insurance coverage of at least 750,000 Euros t get registered and approved. Failure to do so results in a 12,000 Euro fine for EACH photograph. Once you get approved then you must comply with the more or less ordinary regulations which are similar everywhere now.  Anything that goes over populated areas is automatically bumped up to higher requirements and of course additional approval and an additional 250 Euros. The costs are based on time required to process the application and any translations.  I did find the Austrian Model Aircraft Club provides coverage but as far as I can tell is not worldwide. I decided it isn't worth the hassle and I don't have the months required to get approval so will not take my drone to Austria this trip.

I do a lot of travelling and it is a daunting prospect to try and get the drone registered for every country but that is apparently how it is going to be for a while. I am also travelling to Namibia in December and they have similar requirements of licensure and insurance although appear to be less restrictive on use (maybe). I am still in the process of getting approval through their civil aviation organization.

So, I am looking for the cheapest worldwide coverage that covers even insane requirements like Austria. The AMA membership seems the way to go for me but I cannot tell if they provide coverage outside the US. Here in Europe ordinary insurance is only available for commercial usage. I do not plan to do any commercial work at all.

• Like 1

Sorry we are not aware of any recreational-only policies for all of Europe. But if you do find something let us know. Longer term we are evaluating expansion of Verifly into Europe.

Jay

On 2/25/2017 at 0:39 PM, Jay Bregman said:

Jay Bregman

CEO

Verifly doesn't cover damage to the airframe - right?.

As far as I know, no one is covering damage or loss of airframes during flight. This is probably due to the large variety of airframes and high risk of damage.  On the other hand, most commercial insurers will cover loss of airframes due to fire, theft, etc.  Verifly does not provide this coverage and it's an as needed temporary policy covering 3rd party liability for property damage and bodily injury.

I assume that someday someone will figure out how to insure airframes. Until then, we "self insure" our airframes.

We cover liability and invasion of privacy only because that's what clients need. We are evaluating how to offer "hull" insurance but as equipment is getting cheaper, and it's not regularly requested, it's not a short term priority.

Jay

8 hours ago, Earthman said:

Verifly doesn't cover damage to the airframe - right?.

As far as I know, no one is covering damage or loss of airframes during flight. This is probably due to the large variety of airframes and high risk of damage.  On the other hand, most commercial insurers will cover loss of airframes due to fire, theft, etc.  Verifly does not provide this coverage and it's an as needed temporary policy covering 3rd party liability for property damage and bodily injury.

I assume that someday someone will figure out how to insure airframes. Until then, we "self insure" our airframes.

Quite a few UAV insurers offer hull insurance if you want it. It's expensive.

10 hours ago, Jay Bregman said:

We cover liability and invasion of privacy only because that's what clients need. We are evaluating how to offer "hull" insurance but as equipment is getting cheaper, and it's not regularly requested, it's not a short term priority.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Great service.  Cold you insure drones weighing more than 15 pounds?  Also what about the payloads?  We often fly sensors that are in the tens of thousands of dollars.  

Hello @Jay Bregman great concept. I have seen a couple of interviews you have had and my one question is this , Currently I have an annual policy through AerialPak which covers me 24/7 flying both commercially or for fun testing etc.

So if I go out say 3 times a week or so ( this would be if I had NO insurance coverage elsewhere ) to test cameras, equipment etc. flying around all good and then for some unknown reason an oh crap something happens and causes the drone to loose control a bit and hits a parked car, I am not covered with the Verifly unless I paid the 10 bucks or so for that test flight correct.  Your thoughts?...  I can see me possibility using your program in the future. My current policy expires.

thanks

Dean

Dean,

I was paying $1,000 per year until Verifly came along. To your question, when I "flight test" I use a secure area well away from people and skip the insurance. I have been fortunate enough to be allowed the use of a public safety training facility (only on Sundays) , surrounded by an 8 foot fence and gate, 15 minutes from my house; once the gate is closed, no people, no cars. :D Plus in Arizona there's plenty of desert to get away from folks. (full disclosure-I was chief of police of the college PD with the public safety facility before retiring)

Luis

Hey Luis you gotta have your perks, lol and thanks for the input, I also use an open area, safety is always my first concern, that's the x cops in us. note: that is not to say others are not flying safe ,for the record.

I was opening that up to those who may not have any coverage or think of it if they are only using Verifly. Looking over their concept it looks pretty good, I need to read through it completely, I need to make sure that I can add an additional insured as some of my clients ask for that. Luis PM me if you get a chance

You may add a Company (representing your company) and two additional insureds for each Verifly policy. Adding additional insureds is instant and free. They will be added as named insureds on the policy itself rather than through endorsements which many clients prefer. Details here: https://support.verifly.com/kb/article/134-how-do-i-add-an-additional-insured

Jay

• Like 1

Hey Jay, wow thanks for the quick response and thank you for the information. I will go to your site today and read up on everything. 

Thank you again

Dean