SaraBell

SkyVector "DROTAMs"

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I'm still studying up in order to take the test and decided to pop over to the SkyVector website to have a look-see.  I'm in the Jacksonville area and noticed some purple rings. Most importantly is one that is 60 NM around Jax (city not the airport). How do I decode the details in this item? (pic attached)

I'm guessing that GNV_01/133 is the number attached to look up the details for the DROTAM? Where can I input the code to get more details? SkyVector doesn't really give much info on how to utilize this information.

Clicking on the ring makes a new box open with this info:

NOTAM UAS Operating Area GNV_01/133 
DEFINED AS  60NM RADIUS OF CRG  
SFC-400FT AGL 1701091542-1702282200.

2-16-2017 3-03-09 PM.jpg

Edited by SaraBell
Add information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The purple rings are added to live sectional VFR maps to indicate UAS flights in the area. I've never seen one that huge though! These NOTAMs should appear on any live VFR service like http://www.iflightplanner.com/AviationCharts/Default.aspx?Home=1 or https://skyvector.com/ 

If you could provide a state, I might be able to provide more info (Jacksonville is in every state I think, lol)...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, yeah I found that too. It's either a mistaken entry by someone or someone has a 333 exemption with a COA to fly that area. 

Think of the purple areas as NOTAMs to pilots in the area that sUAS activity might be happening inside that purple zone and to avoid it laterally or vertically. You can create your own UAS NOTAM via https://www.1800wxbrief.com/Website/uoa - something I do when flying professionally even though I'm not required to do so.

The area that gets me really excited is just to the south south east of this area - they have a notice for SPACE LAUNCH in 1day 16hr!!! :D Having watched a space shuttle launch from Cape Canaveral will be a memory I'll never forget.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaraBell said:

Hi everyone, I'm still studying up in order to take the test and decided to pop over to the SkyVector website to have a look-see.  I'm in the Jacksonville area and noticed some purple rings. Most importantly is one that is 60 NM around Jax (city not the airport). How do I decode the details in this item? (pic attached)

I'm guessing that GNV_01/133 is the number attached to look up the details for the DROTAM? Where can I input the code to get more details? SkyVector doesn't really give much info on how to utilize this information.

Clicking on the ring makes a new box open with this info:


NOTAM UAS Operating Area GNV_01/133 
DEFINED AS  60NM RADIUS OF CRG  
SFC-400FT AGL 1701091542-1702282200.

2-16-2017 3-03-09 PM.jpg

Holy crap! That is either an error or the biggest COA I ever saw!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirming that you're still allowed to fly in this area! It's simply a formal notice that there might be other activity in the area. Unlike a TFR, where you can't operate. Thanks for posting here, @SaraBell! Let us know if you have any other questions about this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Steve Bennett, that launch warning is for Space-x CRS-10 (ISS re-supply) which is scheduled to launch at 10:01 EST Friday.  Interestingly, it will be the first flight to launch from pad 39a since the final Space Shuttle launch in 2011.  So CRS-10 is launching from the same pad that the shuttle launch you viewed came from.  I just wish this launch was a night one-launches to ISS are very visible where I live at night.  The booster will attempt another controlled return to Kennedy Space center.  Since it is controlled from the ground with no human aboard, it's a UAV I suppose as it returns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also of note.  After the Space x explosion in September, the launch of CRS-10 was pushed back initially to somewhere from early Jan to late Feb which corresponds to that Drone NOTAM area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

Also of note.  After the Space x explosion in September, the launch of CRS-10 was pushed back initially to somewhere from early Jan to late Feb which corresponds to that Drone NOTAM area.

Yes, you could consider the spaceX rocket a UAS. However, If the spaceX rocket lands at the same launch location, wouldn't the NOTAM be further south?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No sorry - what I was thinking was that someone wanted to use a drone to video the whole thing.  Just a thought though - pay no attention to me!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the pop-up box on the site says "UAS Operating Area GNV_01/133". Good to know that it's just a notice of other stuff going on in the area but how do I find specifics on what the "other stuff" is??  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be a UAV testing site.  I'm in ND and we have manufacture and testing of military UAVs here.  We have a large DROTAM in the Grand Forks area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hate to necro-bump this thread, but i want to understand more about submitting my own Hobby NOTAMS.

I used https://www.1800wxbrief.com/Website/uoa to issue one of my own, but was surprised the ONLY map that displayed it was skyvector.com

What is the purpose if local Airports don't receive this, nor is it view-able on FAA maps?  Not even viewable on the most popular AirMap.com (app.airmap.io)

thank you,

n

 

 

 

 

Edited by ndsoemthig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ndsoemthig said:

hate to necro-bump this thread, but i want to understand more about submitting my own Hobby NOTAMS.

I used https://www.1800wxbrief.com/Website/uoa to issue one of my own, but was surprised the ONLY map that displayed it was skyvector.com

What is the purpose if local Airports don't receive this, nor is it view-able on FAA maps?  Not even viewable on the most popular AirMap.com (app.airmap.io)

thank you,

n

 

 

 

 

I file all my NOTAMs via the EN2 FAA site (https://notams.aim.faa.gov/en2/).

There are a few sites that support NOTAM filings but my understanding is that they don't all talk to everyone that they should. The ENII site is set up by the FAA and talks to all the players (skyvector, 1800brief, ect...). It did take 2 days to get set up because they do contact you and verify the information and contact numbers (but that is a good thing too right?) but the information is disseminated and everyone has access to it. I still use SkyVector heavily in planning as well as 1800wxbrief and iFlightplanner to name a few.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  I just visited https://notams.aim.faa.gov/en2/.

Just to clairy, I'm simply a hobbiest DJI P4 UAS operator.  Does this still pertain to me? i.e. it asks for a "User Role" which i don't comprehend.  I can only assume, i'd apply as an "airport user" -- I just want to safely fly my drone in my town by abiding by FAA regulations, but calling the "airport" is a hassle, and sometimes don't even answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ndsoemthig said:

Thank you.  I just visited https://notams.aim.faa.gov/en2/.

Just to clairy, I'm simply a hobbiest DJI P4 UAS operator.  Does this still pertain to me? i.e. it asks for a "User Role" which i don't comprehend.  I can only assume, i'd apply as an "airport user" -- I just want to safely fly my drone in my town by abiding by FAA regulations, but calling the "airport" is a hassle, and sometimes don't even answer.

As long as you are not flying for profit (commercially) and are flying under 336 rules (AMA) you are not required to file a NOTAM. You need to have a COA in order to file to my understanding (which may or may not be correct). I always call the tower to inform them that I am flying 15 minutes prior to takeoff, and while this is not necessary it is in accordance with a deal we struck when I began flying. 

You might contact the local airport manager and meet with him face to face and see how he wants to handle it. It could be something as simple as a letter of agreement or just a call to the tower (or no contact at all in some cases). At least give him/her the option and you should not have any problems.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2017 at 3:44 PM, SaraBell said:

Hi everyone, I'm still studying up in order to take the test and decided to pop over to the SkyVector website to have a look-see.  I'm in the Jacksonville area and noticed some purple rings. Most importantly is one that is 60 NM around Jax (city not the airport). How do I decode the details in this item? (pic attached)

I'm guessing that GNV_01/133 is the number attached to look up the details for the DROTAM? Where can I input the code to get more details? SkyVector doesn't really give much info on how to utilize this information.

Clicking on the ring makes a new box open with this info:


NOTAM UAS Operating Area GNV_01/133 
DEFINED AS  60NM RADIUS OF CRG  
SFC-400FT AGL 1701091542-1702282200.

2-16-2017 3-03-09 PM.jpg

KGNV = Gainesville Regional airport; that is the airport the NOTAM was filed for

If you go to this site (https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/) and enter KGNV in the search box it will tell you all the NOTAMs filed within that airports airspace that is currently active. Save the link. Its useful during preflight planning. You can use this link to check TFRs (http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html). You can also check special use airspace there as well (SUA).

Edited by R Martin
Addition
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, R Martin said:

You might contact the local airport manager and meet with him face to face and see how he wants to handle it. It could be something as simple as a letter of agreement or just a call to the tower (or no contact at all in some cases). At least give him/her the option and you should not have any problems.

@R Martin  just to clarify for @ndsoemthig and others reading this, contacting the local airport is what the FAA has asked hobbyist operators to do if they are flying within 5SM of the airport.  

However, commercial operators MUST obtain authorization or waiver directly from the FAA via the UAS site if you are trying to operate within controlled airspace.  For commercial operators, an airport manager or ATC does not have the authority to approve flights within controlled airspace.  The FAA approval process is now taking well over 4 months!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ScottF said:

@R Martin  just to clarify for @ndsoemthig and others reading this, contacting the local airport is what the FAA has asked hobbyist operators to do if they are flying within 5SM of the airport.  

  The FAA approval process is now taking well over 4 months!  

My latest round of three renewals was received within 45 days. Pays to know whom you are dealing with like I have been saying all along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@R Martin I know you've said this several times on these forums, but each FAA FSDO must be operating differently because the Denver FSDO has nothing to do with the FAA Authorization requests.  I've talked to them.  In fact, many of them are friends of mine because I flew Army Helicopters in the local area and a couple of my Army aviator friends are now working at the Denver FSDO.  In fact, a couple months ago, they confirmed that they have called the FAA office back East two separate times trying to get questions answered and they don't even get their calls returned from the FAA office.

So, count yourself lucky if your local FSDO office is able to help.  I have three Authorization requests that have only been assigned tracking numbers with no other information available from the FAA; one of them has now been in review for 5 months.  I've contacted them, providing the reference number, and they just say, "sorry, but we are backlogged."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottF said:

@R Martin I know you've said this several times on these forums, but each FAA FSDO must be operating differently because the Denver FSDO has nothing to do with the FAA Authorization requests.  I've talked to them.  In fact, many of them are friends of mine because I flew Army Helicopters in the local area and a couple of my Army aviator friends are now working at the Denver FSDO.  In fact, a couple months ago, they confirmed that they have called the FAA office back East two separate times trying to get questions answered and they don't even get their calls returned from the FAA office.

So, count yourself lucky if your local FSDO office is able to help.  I have three Authorization requests that have only been assigned tracking numbers with no other information available from the FAA; one of them has now been in review for 5 months.  I've contacted them, providing the reference number, and they just say, "sorry, but we are backlogged."

Guess so. The Fort Worth FSDO is on top of things and makes it happen. I am talking of authorizations too; not waivers. If you are getting waivers in five months count yourself lucky and be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, R Martin said:

Guess so. The Fort Worth FSDO is on top of things and makes it happen. I am talking of authorizations too; not waivers. If you are getting waivers in five months count yourself lucky and be happy.

@R Martin  Would you be willing to provide me with contact information for your POC at the FSDO you use?  I'd like to put our Denver FSDO guys in contact with yours.  Texas doesn't have a FSDO in Fort Worth, so maybe you meant Irving, Texas?  You can send me a private message if you don't want to post here.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Welcome to UCCF.

    The UAV Coach Community Forum is actively moderated by the UAV Coach team and offered to help serve those in the UAV industry. Use this space to meet and greet, to ask and answer questions, to share what you're working on, etc. Have fun, play nice, and fly safe! :)

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      2,871
    • Total Posts
      14,371