Steve Bennett

Positive news related to content with drones

I saw this blog post from @Zacc Dukowitz and thought, what if we started a collection of positive stories in the media that focused on great out comes with drones? 
http://uavcoach.com/7-ways-drones-do-good-around-the-globe/

Does anyone have more they can share?

If you come across good articles in the future, we could stash them here for reference in the event we need to point to good interactions with drones.

• Like 2

Great idea @Steve Bennett that should be a category, not only is it nice to here the positive side of the use of UAVs but I am sure it will spark some more ideas from those reading about them and maybe help some in their own business or for those not sure as to what area they may want to get into this may help.

Lets all look for these stories and post them.

• Like 1

Here is a project that I just started - using drones to search for people using an avalanche beacon. Currently I have only completed a rough prototype just using an avalanche beacon attached to a phantom 3. 

My plan is to develop a full working system sometime later this year.

Here is a link to a brief blog post and video: http://www.silverdynsoftware.com/single-post/2017/02/26/Project---avalanche-beacon-openCv-and-DJI-Phantom-3

• Like 2

This might not be what you mean.  We spend a lot of time and money promoting and supporting local High schools and universities in environmental studies and STEM curriculum development.  If we're going to get qualified employees into this industry we're going to have to grow them.

• Like 1

Alright off to a good start, there you go @Steve Bennett two good post . And for @Av8Chuck you are very correct, our future depends greatly on our teaching and getting the kids interested and involved and a young age, they will no doubt come up with some great ideas. If you clicked on the link that @Steve Bennett posted that started this section A 14 year old boy in India named Harshwardhan Zala made the news recently for inventing a drone that could detect and detonate land mines.

I look forward to following this topic

• Like 1

This is AMAZING - so much great stuff on here. Thanks everyone for sharing, and here's to keeping this going! (I'll update the blog post as we collect more material too and/or create new iterations of it.)

Last week I came across another great story about drones doing good in the world in an interview with Uttam Puadasaini (http://uavcoach.com/interview-nepal-flying-labs/), who lives in Nepal. It turns out a number of drone companies (DJI, Parrot/Pix4D, UAViators and local Kathmandu Living Labs, as well as Smartisan at Kathmandu University) teamed up in 2015 to map disaster areas after a massive earthquake hit the entire country of Nepal. 

This video tells the story:

• Like 1

So here's a link to a Flying Magazine article that hit today.  It has to do with Trump's proposed budget and privatizing the Air Traffic Control System here in the US. This could affect the whole world of UAV's down the road.

http://www.flyingmag.com/wait-for-atc-privatization-is-over-as-white-house-budget-emerges?BhfjxUWDLxVmDGe3.03

Edited by Ed O'Grady
additional comment
  • Like 1

I've been a pilot for 30+ years and the idea of user fees for ATC services and how to afford the modernization of the ATC system has been out there for as long as I can remember.

Before retiring (the first time) I worked for a company in England and would fly every chance I had.  It's a beautiful place to fly but the process of flying in Europe sucked.   They have user fees and restrictions up the wazoo..

If pilots don't want user fees in the US then they need to vote the beuaracratic idiots that have made a career out of cost over runs of the ATC Modernization Act out of office.  Like I said l, there's nothing new here.  This dance has been going on for a long time.  There's no doubt that user fees suck, but if ATC was privatized things would change, maybe for the better.  

Great points @Av8Chuck.  As you said "if ATC was privatized things would change, maybe for the better." Not faulting the current system, but I am inclined to agree with you that "maybe for the better." That change might also have an impact on the world of UAV's.

Edited by Ed O'Grady
additional comment

Ed, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not in favor of user fees, but I'm so tired of the same crappy reasons for why things have not improved.  I'm also tired of AOPA  and all the other alphabet organizations claiming the sky is falling and that we need to donate to protect our rights.  It's a scam.  

When I joined AOPA there were 635,000 members, today, by thier own admission there's about 290,000. They have lost more than half their membership in less than 15 years.  Yet AOPA and ALPA damn drone operators with faint praise at every opportunity.  The only organization that seems to support drone operators is the EAA.  When you talk to just about any drone operator you can't get them to shut up about their experience.  I don't know too many drone operators that wouldn't give there right arm to fly a manned aircraft and considering the fact that AOPA's membership is trending in the wrong direction you'd think they would embrace drone operators.

So I kind of think that user fees might not effect drone operators as much as you might think.  It would be interesting to know if the number of aircraft/ATC transactions is down as much as AOPA's membership.  

Sorry, another pet peeve of mine.  I'm old so I complain a lot...

Thanks for complaining!  I too am old and complain all the time - just ask my wife.  My takeaway from the article was simply that privatization off the ATC system MIGHT improve our ability to get waivers and authorizations in a more timely fashion.  But that is down the road, if at all. Happy St. Pats!

I saw this one in the news today on drone operations in Class B airspace at Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

http://blogs.autodesk.com/recap/historic-uav-operation/

This is exactly what we want to see when professional companies reach out for approval from the FAA to fly in controlled airspace: a dialog between the company, ATC & the FAA to establish safe procedures that allows the team to operate.

Here is a bit more info on this flight:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/02/14/drone-flight-atlanta-airport-commercial-use/97748194/

Looks like they had an actual licensed pilot do the drone flight and remained in contact with ATC during the flight via radio along with 3 VO. Now we have an idea of what it takes to get approval to fly over airport property under Part 107. 

I've posted this video before of aerial being shot at John Wayne airport. In the thread it was initially posted there was a lot of debate regarding what type of permission was required and if you could do this under rule 107, I did this under a 333.  

In forums we often lose sight of what's important.  The regulations are being implemented as a means to allow you to accomplish a particular thing.  They are not there to stop you from doing your job.  There is always a way to get permission to fly anywhere.  I'd bet if they needed to survey a construction site at the White House you could get permission to fly. 

I guess my point is that there are lots of positive examples of people doing things with drones that aren't in the headlines of local media that we as a community tend to filter out with debate about the regulations or the details of how something is done.

i didn't do this video because I wanted to fly at a class B, I actually don't remember, maybe it's a class C airport.  I did it to help a company that donated its product and people who donated their time to restore a bitchen airplane.  

This is AMAZING - so much great stuff on here. Thanks everyone for sharing, and here's to keeping this going! (I'll update the blog post as we collect more material too and/or create new iterations of it.)

Last week I came across another great story about drones doing good in the world in an interview with Uttam Puadasaini (http://uavcoach.com/interview-nepal-flying-labs/), who lives in Nepal. It turns out a number of drone companies (DJI, Parrot/Pix4D, UAViators and local Kathmandu Living Labs, as well as Smartisan at Kathmandu University) teamed up in 2015 to map disaster areas after a massive earthquake hit the entire country of Nepal. 

This video tells the story:

Well crud guys - I thought I hit submit on that DJI in Nepal post a long time ago but just hopped in to see I never did. Hope you enjoy that one!

I actually logged in today to share a Facebook post on the Drones for Good topic we just shared. Matternet is delivering blood in Switzerland - check it out: 

• Like 1