Jonathan E Spence

Convincing Real Estate Agents

7 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone. I started my aerial photography company about 2 months ago. I focus primarily on real estate. In the 2 months I have been operational the response as been great, but its still not where I want to be. I often run into real estate agents who just don't seem to get it. Given, most real estate agents are part time and are just trying to make some extra money on the side. These are the same people that take pictures of their listings with their phone so I'm not expecting them to pay for my service. However, what about the full timers? How do we convince them? All of my clients have loved my work and are returning customers. My prices are low, I have my FAA license, I have the waivers, my work is great. So how do I get more customers? Any advice is very much appreciated!

Just an idea, instead of approaching real estate agents, hit the brokers instead.  

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply. I contact brokers also, but it's ultimately up to the real estate agent 

Been at this since Dec 2015, Jonathan. Real estate aerial photography is a nut breaker, hard, but not impossible to make a profit, they want a lot for very little. (and yes, for the most part, they are  cheap...) No offense to any realtors reading this; they are trying to make the most while keeping you cut as low as you'll go. Sometimes I just say no and walk away.

3 people like this

@Jonathan E Spence, have you tried swimming upstream? Meaning, going after higher-end real estate like golf courses, commercial property managers, real estate developers, luxury homes, resort properties, hotels, restaurant chains, car dealerships, etc.?

You can also experiment with doing more technical work like mapping / modeling, teaming up with a roof inspector, asphalt repair company, etc.

Keep at it. Keep searching. To use @Uaviator53's comment, you'll crack the nut eventually!

1 person likes this

On 3/14/2017 at 11:19 AM, Joseph said:

Just an idea, instead of approaching real estate agents, hit the brokers instead.  

Excellent suggestion! Find the high producers who understand the value and other agents will typically follow. You won't be able to convince them all, but I think you will find you won't want the hassle working with the super frugal agents anyway. Typically MLS boards will invite their affiliate members (those who are selling services to realtors) to some networking events and you may even get a contact list of all their members.

1 person likes this

I shoot a lot for real estate agents.... I also concentrate on high end properties (I shot a lot of little stuff to progress to where Im at).  They usually have larger lots... so aerial is a benefit to them.  I also use aerial as an ad on service.... most of my work/money is from shooting ground level.  Not sure I could make aerial a business by itself.  

Real estate agents are a funny breed.... if you are good and reasonable prices, it will eventually come together.  They work so much with referrals... one agent will see another agents work... and find out where they got it done.  And remember, there are a lot of Realtors... but only a small percentage are Sellers Agent... the Listing Agent. Because it also takes a lot of work on their part to get the listings.... and money (photography, marketings, etc.).

Go after the agents with five ore more listings. Do a few free shoots to show them the benefits.... especially if they have a lot of listings.... and always deliver more than they expect.

Below is one I shot last week.... again, I also did ground level interior and exterior.

0101.jpg

1 person likes this