Spitfire76

DJI Spark ?

Alan Perlman    511

What do ya'll think? I just ordered one to be delivered on 6/15. I love my Mavic too much to switch birds, even for more fun / recreation, but it's still an interesting strategic move for DJI and a bet on the continued growth of the hobby side of the industry.

Also, was watching this review from Casey Neistat and thought it was interesting that he mentioned he was under FAA investigation and can't fly in NYC anymore.

Alan Perlman    511
7 hours ago, Up Sonder said:

It's like a super selfie drone!

Does anyone know if it has obstacle avoidance sensors on it?

Yep, it does.

Alan Perlman    511
On 5/27/2017 at 8:18 PM, Av8Chuck said:

This guys does some funny reviews and honest, this one is no exception.

Ooh, great share. I like this guy's YouTube channel.

Cravenfan    2

I'm brand new to the drone world...was considering a Mavic Pro, but went with the Spark.  Being a novice, I found that based on the fairly decent price point of $499 and with the included extras (extra battery, prop guards, carrying case, remote) for the $699 "fly more" combo, it was too good an offer to pass up.  I also like the versatility of the ability to control via hand, phone, or remote, depending on the range you are looking for.  I also bought the "Care Refresh" program, which has it's advantages for a newbie and at $59, wasn't that much to invest in.  (Indeed, if I crash, it's another $49 to replace, but my insurance deductible was $500, so no sense in that.)

Technology is moving so fast, indeed I assume by this fall, or into winter, there will be something better out there, but for something to document my outdoor adventures this season, I thought it was a great unit to start with.  Along with hunting, snowmobiling, kayaking, I'm sure I'll use it to capture a lot of photos and videos of my twins and dog.  I also took advantage of the PayPal, no interest, no payments for 6 months, so by this fall, if indeed something crazy comes out to trump it, I could try and sell the Spark and get into something newer.  But, I think I'll have it for a while.  

The only drone I've piloted to date was a foam AirHog Millennium Falcon quad (don't judge me), so this Spark as a, "gateway drone" is very exciting!  I think it ships mid-June, but estimated delivery time for me was 6/30.  

I'll be sure to learn as much as I can from this forum in the meantime...thanks for all your contributions.  

Edited by Cravenfan
  • Like 1

Alan Perlman    511
6 hours ago, Cravenfan said:

The only drone I've piloted to date was a foam AirHog Millennium Falcon quad (don't judge me), so this Spark as a, "gateway drone" is very exciting!  I think it ships mid-June, but estimated delivery time for me was 6/30.  

Lol at "gateway drone" - mine was the either the Hubsan X4 or the Yuneec Typhoon G depending on how you look at it. Now flying (mostly) the DJI Mavic Pro and experimenting with FPV racing as well. Looks like my (and yours as well?) Spark will be arriving on 6/15. Look forward to testing her out! Congrats on your purchase and see you in the skies.

Cravenfan    2
11 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

Looks like my (and yours as well?) Spark will be arriving on 6/15. Look forward to testing her out! Congrats on your purchase and see you in the skies.

I'm wondering if those who only ordered the drone by itself will get it 6/15 and those (like me) who ordered the, "fly more combo" will get it 6/30.  I asked their customer service folks about another battery to purchase with my order, but the said they were allocating everything so that these orders could ship first.  (Which kinda stinks, as I'll have to pay shipping on my one (third) battery when available.  

I had watched the YouTube video review above and several others and although no drone is all things for all people, this sure seemed like the way to go.  I also liked this article, which I will need to use when mine arrives:

https://www.tomstechtime.com/single-post/2017/05/19/DJI-Spark-How-to-convince-your-wife-that-the-drone-is-a-wise-investment

But, no payment due until December, so Merry Christmas to me!