Sign in to follow this  
CurtL5

DJI Phantom 4 Pro+ Class E Authorization Problem

Went to fly a job yesterday and found myself approx 100 yds inside of the 5 mi circle of an uncontrolled airfield in Class E airspace.  This is the first one I've had in that proximity and I quickly found that there is no apparent on-the-fly method of accepting responsibility on the control screen and acknowledging, etc the way there is on a data-connected tablet or phone.  This is the Phantom P4 Pro+ which has the integrated controller and thus, no data connection in the field.

Today, I reached out to DJI Tech Support (ya... them!) and was immediately instructed to send an email instead.  I have another job in the morning in similar airspace and am hoping someone has some experience in this process.  

The description above should provide enough info for the generic question, but the sectional for the airport is included here as well...

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 8.25.04 AM.png

Follow-up just for others in the future.  I spoke a 3rd time with DJI (a different person each time) and finally figured out that it is really no different than getting the code on a non "+" bird.  You just have to do it either from a different device such as a phone, or do it ahead of time.  The same process works - the same 3-day authorization is there.  Just cannot use the controller as you would in a Pro (non plus) version...

Case closed ! :) 

Wait, I don't understand the question/problem. That airport is Class G airspace from surface up to 700FT AGL, then transitions to Class E at 700FT. I fly plenty, including last week in the exact same type of airspace with a P3P with current firmware and don't need any "unlock" code or authorization.

Sorry - yes... G.  The problem was that as soon as I was inside the 5-mile radius of the Airport, DJI gave me a cannot takeoff message.  I had to get a manual clearance code from DJI in order to fly.  It prevented flight within the airport circle.  Period.  Not the first time I'd heard of such things.  Have a colleague that went through this 50 mi's down the road with his I-2 bird as well...

*adding...

my V/O brought along his P4 bird (not a Pro) and had the same results.  However, having a cellular tablet, he simply logged in and got an unlock code from DJI on the fly... all worked fine at that point

Edited by CurtL5

5 hours ago, CurtL5 said:

Sorry - yes... G.  The problem was that as soon as I was inside the 5-mile radius of the Airport, DJI gave me a cannot takeoff message.  I had to get a manual clearance code from DJI in order to fly.  It prevented flight within the airport circle.  Period.  Not the first time I'd heard of such things.  Have a colleague that went through this 50 mi's down the road with his I-2 bird as well...

*adding...

my V/O brought along his P4 bird (not a Pro) and had the same results.  However, having a cellular tablet, he simply logged in and got an unlock code from DJI on the fly... all worked fine at that point

Yuck, this must be new to the 4's as I did not have this last week on my P3...

Just an FYI: If you have a hotspot on your mobile phone you can join the Pro+ built-in android to your mobile hotspot. This way the DJI Go 4 app has an internet connect when you're out in the field.

Curious - I am supposed to fly near the outer edge of a class D airspace.  I'm probably less than 100 feet outside of it.  I fly a Mavic Pro.  

Thoughts on if you think I need an unlock code or not?  I'm going to try and get by there before I have to fly and just turn on the Mavic and see what comes up on the app.