Av8Chuck

Property Videos: Past, Present & Future

On 7/20/2017 at 4:15 AM, ApexV said:

Wow--just beautiful. The property is amazing! Shot choices and aerial footage are really nice, video inside is silky smooth--are you using a Ronin? That's a learning curve I'm trying to scale right now... :) Inspiring work sir! 

Sorry for not replying to your question sooner.  As you might have gathered, a pet peeve of mine is can you make money with all this drone technology?  

In order to be able to shoot efficiently you need to be able to  disconnect the gimbal from the drone and attach it to a jib, car mount, or use it hand held and change lenses seamlessly without having to rebalance, tune or losing the horizon.

We use the Gremsy H3 for the GH4 and Sony a6500 and the H7 for Sony a7RII and Canon 5d.  We can use it on all platforms without changing anything and can change cameras and lenses in under a minute.  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 5:35 PM, Av8Chuck said:

Here's my latest property video.  I generally don't do property video's but I have a realtor friend who has about six of these types of listing and he asked if I would do the video and photography. I really enjoy it but this took me two days of shooting and another in post and realtors, friend or not, are not willing to pay what it would take to do this type of work.

I'm guessing if I did more of it I could cut the production time in half but even then it would be tough to be profitable.  I really enjoyed shooting this place.

Nice one Chuck! 

That particular property is rather large, and would definitely be something I'd charge a bit more than the normal rate. In post, do you color grade? I find myself spending a good bit of time in that world because of the constant need to see views out the windows.

Thanks for sharing, it's a good one! 

• Like 1

I use DaVinci Resolve for color correcting.  Learning curve's a bit steep but you can start with just primary correction and start to add all the secondary correction tools as you get more familiar with it.  

I found this really interesting: 

I tried it on a couple of shots from this recent shoot, I got it to work on one but not on several others.  It wouldn't sync parameters.  But on the one that it did I really like the look.  Probably not feasible to correct an entire project, the place I'd like to use this is on the high contrast shots but apparently it won't sync local adjustments.

• Like 1

This is a second video for the same property.  The first video was intended to be kind of a trailer to get people to the property.  This one show's more the property.  This brings up a bit of an issue.  I think if a video shows too much of a property the viewer might be less inclined to actually visit the property.

http://iplayerhd.com/player/6ea89a05-fb58-4337-941b-62be39c86be6

Edited by Av8Chuck
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2017 at 7:03 AM, Av8Chuck said:

I use DaVinci Resolve for color correcting.  Learning curve's a bit steep but you can start with just primary correction and start to add all the secondary correction tools as you get more familiar with it.  

I found this really interesting: 

I tried it on a couple of shots from this recent shoot, I got it to work on one but not on several others.  It wouldn't sync parameters.  But on the one that it did I really like the look.  Probably not feasible to correct an entire project, the place I'd like to use this is on the high contrast shots but apparently it won't sync local adjustments.

I use LR now and again to grab a frame from a video and edit it as a stock photo (i.e. aerial shot from a large condo development or subdivision).  I've done a bit of editing video in LR, but for the most part I find that it's a total resource hog on my computer, so I keep my color grading to FCPX.  PP has great color grade adjustments with sliders exactly like you'd find in LR, but I just don't use PP.  It's WAAAAYYYY more editing program than what I typically need, and the user interface just isn't that intuitive to how my brain works.

I've heard others speak highly of Davinci Resolve.  I'll have to check it out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

This is a second video for the same property.  The first video was intended to be kind of a trailer to get people to the property.  This one show's more the property.  This brings up a bit of an issue.  I think if a video shows too much of a property the viewer might be less inclined to actually visit the property.

http://iplayerhd.com/player/6ea89a05-fb58-4337-941b-62be39c86be6

Nice video, Chuck, I like what you did with the creative transitions.  You bring up a good point about how much of the property to show vs how much to keep in the realtor's pocket.  Most people aren't quite aware of the sales dynamic that goes with selling real estate, so it's good that you are.  The number one thing a video is designed to do is bring potential buyers to the property to see it for themselves.

Regarding the trailer vs full feature concept, I find that if I keep the trailer to 1min max, it forces me to show only the supreme money shots of the property.  Plus, it gives the client something they can share on Instagram (capped at 1min currently).  

Great lookin' set, none the less.  Thanks for sharing!

- Jonathon

• Like 1

@Av8Chuck - I use my mobile device to upload a video that resides on said mobile device. Needs to be limited to about 15 seconds. Sometimes, I'll put a link to a longer youtube video in my profile and mention the link in my post of a photo from the video...

• Like 1

Great videos you got up here, congrats.

One point if I may is that the videos feel like they are still images with some post processing to give them the zoom in or the pan effect, I think after the first couple of shoots you really should do some actual movement inside and out and really walk around the property.

Just my 2 cents...Nice videos again :)

1 hour ago, Gabriel Yee said:

Great videos you got up here, congrats.

One point if I may is that the videos feel like they are still images with some post processing to give them the zoom in or the pan effect, I think after the first couple of shoots you really should do some actual movement inside and out and really walk around the property.

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment.  A couple of things to consider.  If there's not much going on in the image it appears to be a still, 95% of the outside shots and 75% of the interior shots are video.  I used stills where the contrast ratio was to great to get well exposed video.

Also, keep in mind that my objective isn't to impress home buyers with my production prowess, I'm trying to capture the essence of a property and communicate a lifestyle, quality of life, etc..  I agree that there are cinematic techniques that might improve the video but you also have to balance that need with my need to be profitable.  It Would have taken much longer to light the scenes where I relied on stills to expose videonto get the same .

• Like 1

Its a slow New Year...

Thought I'd post another video in the hopes of starting some conversation...

Holy batman what a house.

@Av8Chuck you win the prize for the best music in your videos, hands down.

Love the variety of shots, particularly the ones at 2:00 that coincide with the guitar solo.

I don't care how much this costs...I want to live here. Let me know where to sign.

Such a classy video. You even managed to sneak in a shot of Veuve Clicquot!

Wowww....BRAVO, sir! Amazing. LOVE the interesting detail shots, and music really pulled me into the shots!  Agreed, Alan... I NEED to live there!! 

Well, since it's titled past present and future...Chuck influenced me to add another as well, although I'm not able to use such fabulous music for our commercial shoots. lol

Out of 206 properties in 2017, this one was one of my favorites.  No added lifestyle beach/golf/surf/etc stuff, just the home.  

• Like 1

What you talking about Willis!?  That was great.  

So much of what we do is working around whatever limitations we have on a project, whether its budget, time, location, technology etc..  

You have this great way of using creativity to pull it all together and make the property your shooting look so inviting.  As you mentioned, it might have been nice to add some lifestyle elements for the people who aren't familiar with the area.  

Because honestly, I'd probably choose that property over the last property that I posted.  

Regarding the music, the footage from that house was for another project, this was just something that I edited together for myself.  The music used in the project this footage was licensed.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

What you talking about Willis!?  That was great.  

So much of what we do is working around whatever limitations we have on a project, whether its budget, time, location, technology etc..  

You have this great way of using creativity to pull it all together and make the property your shooting look so inviting.  As you mentioned, it might have been nice to add some lifestyle elements for the people who aren't familiar with the area.  

Because honestly, I'd probably choose that property over the last property that I posted.  

Regarding the music, the footage from that house was for another project, this was just something that I edited together for myself.  The music used in the project this footage was licensed.   

I appreciate that, Chuck, thank you!  Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing the same ol' thing, which gets a little bit monotonous from time to time.  You know how it is...kitchen, stove, fancy hood and faucets, fancy bathroom and fixtures, fancy pool and hot tub, yada yada...   

Occasionally a client will request something more of a 'best of' showcase, with little attention to floorplan, but for the most part people tend to like knowing how a home is laid out.  Some properties, however, simply are wonky, and no amount of video will convey a floorplan, especially on Maui.  When you start shooting homes in Kula (about 3,000ft up the side of the volcano), it gets very interesting.  This is when I push for a Matterport 3D tour. lol

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 12:01 PM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

When you start shooting homes in Kula (about 3,000ft up the side of the volcano), it gets very interesting.

OH YOUR LIFE IS SO HARD.

(But seriously, great video and thanks for sharing :))

• Haha 1

Another exterior only video.  Often times a client will ask for drone-only video.  Well, most of y'all know by now that I struggle with simple, so...here's what I usually deliver when they say 'drone-only'. :)

Working with realtors who lack the vision to produce property videos that better represent the property must be frustrating, on one hand this type of video is easier and quicker to produce, if you can charge enough for the service you can probably make more money, but on the other, when working with an amazing property you just want to show more from all perspectives because it makes your work so much more interesting.

It must be hard in an area where most of the properties are Kodak moments.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Av8Chuck said:

Working with realtors who lack the vision to produce property videos that better represent the property must be frustrating, on one hand this type of video is easier and quicker to produce, if you can charge enough for the service you can probably make more money, but on the other, when working with an amazing property you just want to show more from all perspectives because it makes your work so much more interesting.

It must be hard in an area where most of the properties are Kodak moments.  

Everything you said here applies.  The dollar per hour is greater on this type of work, but the overall price tag is lower per property.  It challenges me to see what I can do with exterior only stuff, but definitely doesn't show squat about the home, other than 'Here's the outside, here's the top, here's the view around.'  But hey, sometimes that's all ya' need, especially in a place where most everything is a Kodak moment!

Iv’e had several realtors ask me to shoot stills and video and talked them out of doing a video.  If the property is a real dog then video is only going to make it tougher to sell.  

I posted this video earlier but this is basically a $13M fixer-upper.  I shot the interior, against my better judgement it was empty and didn’t show well, and ended up not using any of it in the video.  

I’ve discouraged quite a few realtors who have basically a run down expensive track home to not post a video and be very selective in showing stills.  Not with the intention of misleading buyers but to improve the odds of getting buyers to walk the property and hopefully they will see something in the property that I can’t convey in the video.    

38 minutes ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

The dollar per hour is greater on this type of work, but the overall price tag is lower per property.

Depending on your focus this could be more profitable.  I tend to take pride in the photography and cinematography so I focus on that aspect of the project.  That doesn’t make it better, in fact it makes it much more challenging to be profitable. With exterior only there’s potentially much less setup and you can get in and out of the project much faster.  But as you say the challenge there is figuring out creative ways to do exterior only videos.  

Most of your projects that I’ve seen certianly have much better curb appeal, that helps.  If you want to study the intersection of creativity and efficiency check out wedding cinematography. They have limited time, budget, and they get one shot at it. The result is usually a well defined shot list that they know they have to get in every project.  Although that sounds very formulaic, it’s amazing to see how creative they are at getting the same shots. There’s probably a certain amount of creative freedom when you don’t have to focus on determining what shots you need but can focus on the predefined shot list and be as creative as time allows for that specific shot. 

22 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Iv’e had several realtors ask me to shoot stills and video and talked them out of doing a video.  If the property is a real dog then video is only going to make it tougher to sell.  

I posted this video earlier but this is basically a $13M fixer-upper.  I shot the interior, against my better judgement it was empty and didn’t show well, and ended up not using any of it in the video.  

I’ve discouraged quite a few realtors who have basically a run down expensive track home to not post a video and be very selective in showing stills.  Not with the intention of misleading buyers but to improve the odds of getting buyers to walk the property and hopefully they will see something in the property that I can’t convey in the video.    

Depending on your focus this could be more profitable.  I tend to take pride in the photography and cinematography so I focus on that aspect of the project.  That doesn’t make it better, in fact it makes it much more challenging to be profitable. With exterior only there’s potentially much less setup and you can get in and out of the project much faster.  But as you say the challenge there is figuring out creative ways to do exterior only videos.  

Most of your projects that I’ve seen certianly have much better curb appeal, that helps.  If you want to study the intersection of creativity and efficiency check out wedding cinematography. They have limited time, budget, and they get one shot at it. The result is usually a well defined shot list that they know they have to get in every project.  Although that sounds very formulaic, it’s amazing to see how creative they are at getting the same shots. There’s probably a certain amount of creative freedom when you don’t have to focus on determining what shots you need but can focus on the predefined shot list and be as creative as time allows for that specific shot. 

I recall this video, very interesting place.  Love the music too...sounds a lot like Mark Knopfler?

RE: Shot list

I've tried this several times, and I do have a very general shot list for every home...particular parts of kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms and bathrooms, aerial formats, etc.  Where it gets jumbled is 'Hey we can't show this cracked countertop' or 'Don't shoot this room, it's where we piled everything we own in order to stage the home.'  

Another one that happens often, but admittedly is a royal pain in the arse is, 'We gotta move things from each room to the next because we don't have enough staging gear.'  This is where you miss shots, become a little rushed if not careful, and MUST practice leading the shoot.  Otherwise, you'll be running all over the place, re-shooting rooms because they forgot one flower on a table or some other silliness.  

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the current shoot / turnaround time.  For a home up to about 3,000sqft, I can capture photos & video inside of about 3-4hrs, including aerial work.  Turn around times are 2 days for still photos (often times sooner) and up to 5 days for video.

For exterior only video work, it's more like 2 day turn around (sometimes sooner).  I never promise same or next day turn around, unless they pay for rush edit service...and most don't. lol