Brent

Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K

Hello Everyone!

After much deliberation and countless hours of research through forum after forum I have made my decision. I have placed my order for the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K!! (It didn't hurt that places like B&H Photo knocked $300.00 US off the sticker price - that's huge for us here in Canada at today's exchange rate 9_9) But as I look out my window as I write this and observe the swirling snow mixed with the freezing fog, the -17C temperature (with a -28C windchill), it occurs to me I will have some time to focus on learning as much as I can from other UAV enthusiasts and in particular fellow owners of the Q500 4K prior to spinning the rotors for the first time.

So I open this topic up to any and all who have experience with the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K to share tips and tricks you have discovered during your time with this model.

I am new to this field. My only experience with a quadcopter is with the Blade Nano QX and that only since Christmas. I have a Private Pilot's Licence, but this is a totally different beast. I'm not convinced that having a PPL is an asset or not except for the application for exemptions or operating certificates.

Your thoughts and experiences are encouraged and very welcome.

Brent

• Like 1

Spent a lot of time flying the Typhoon G. Same transmitter and overall flight experience as the Q500. I was pretty impressed with how easy it was to unbox, calibrate and get into the air, but don't forget to spend time reading through each of the smart shot options you have. I think it's a great introductory professional system, if that makes sense. Happy to answer any particular questions you have Brent!

• Like 1

Alan I wish I would've known you flew the typhoon g, a little while ago it might've saved me a few learning curves. 

Brent, great choice in the 4K, I have one and love it. Even though its just like the Typhoon G it(Q500) adds little more convenience. I purchased mine for the purpose of taking photos/videos and figured since I had a gopro already the G would be a better choice. I soon learned you couldn't use the photo capture or video capture buttons on the controller. So to take photos I had to set my camera to a 10 second time interval, hoping I would get pretty good shots. Similar to pre setting the camera when taking video you have to begin recording prior to takeoff. The Q500 is ready to snap and record right out of the box. I do recommend getting two micro sd cards 32gb for the st10+ and 64gb for the camera. It's easy to change camera setting mid flight the aircraft will just hover in place. I also agree with Alan get use to the three flight options it offers. I suggest learning to take off and land in smart mode, but fly in angle mode as soon as you get a good feel for things. It's an awesome aircraft I'm lucky enough to live in Florida, so I get to get out on a daily basis unless it's raining. There's so much more about the q500 but I'll let someone else tell you what they find most interesting. Let me know if you have any other questions..

Happy Flying 

Will

• Like 1

Brent, I'm a very happy owner of a Q500+, Q500 4K as well as the Blade Chroma 1080 (made by Yuneec). I agree with Alan's assessment that it's a great 'prosumer' option, and the videos/still I've shared with others outside the industry are constantly impressed with the image/video quality, smoothness of flight, etc.

Similar to Will, there's plenty more I could say about these 'majestic birds', but I don't want to gush too much too early ;-) If you have any specific questions on the Q500 though, feel free to ask, and I'll certainly share any insight I can :-)

IMG_2640.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for responding Will and Kris. I'm looking forward to the Q500 arriving. Should be delivered in a week or so.

I'll be sure to pick up the SD cards, Will. And Kris, I was on the fence between the Chroma and Q500. I figured I couldn't wrong either way but then I noticed the price drop on the Q500 and that sealed the deal.

I'm sure I'll have questions once I get my hands on it and really appreciate the open invitation to bounce questions your way.

I believe this will be an excellent platform to learn on and if nothing else, expand into a different photo/video perspective than what I am used to. I've taken hundreds of aerial photos but they were all from fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters and all very clinical (no artsy stuff allowed).

So, I am, in a word, excited.

And thanks to Alan for putting this forum together so fellow enthusiasts have a great place to network.

Brent

I think you'll be happy with your purchase, Brent! I like all my birds, but the Chroma and the Q500 definitely do have different flight characteristics. They're subtle, but I find that my Q500s are just a bit more stable and smooth in the air, and they seem to have a better GPS lock than my Chroma, which tends to move around both horizontally and vertically when just 'hovering'. My Typhoons on the other hand, are nearly motionless when hovering. That being said, I think the Chroma seems to cut through wind a bit better, and when I fly it with the prop guards on it seems to get a bit more stable (but still nothing like my Typhoons :-) ).

They're both excellent birds to learn with, but I'd say one feels a bit more 'at ease' when flying the Typhoon vs. flying the Chroma, as it's just that much more stable/reliable/etc.

Just got my Wizard over the weekend, but haven't had a chance to give that a try quite yet. I'm almost as excited about that as you probably are about getting your 'New Q'! ;-)

Awaiting my first Yuneec Q500 4K.  I started on a Syma X5C-1 (love this thing) and still waiting for my Hubson X4 Mini FPV from Amazon.ca. (China - ordered Dec 31, expecting to receive by 2019)  lol

Glad to join this forum and cant wait for everything new and exciting to the world of DRONES!!

Cheers!

Pete

• Like 1

Hey Kris, you'll have to let us know how the Wizard performs. I think I'll take my time and log hours conventionally before venturing away from the ST10+. 

Does the one Wizard work with both the Typhoon and the Chroma?

Brent

Welcome aboard the Yuneec Q500 portion of the forum Pete. Where the weather is CAVOK and the destination is ... endless!!

• Like 2

Hi Pete, I am in Okotoks, Alberta (20 min. South of Calgary). Grew up in London, Ontario, lived there for about 20 years. But I think my new "back-yard" has it's draw!Backyard.thumb.jpg.9dee08d51460d6f5c43ee

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brent said:

Hey Kris, you'll have to let us know how the Wizard performs. I think I'll take my time and log hours conventionally before venturing away from the ST10+. 

Does the one Wizard work with both the Typhoon and the Chroma?

Brent

I'll be the first to say that part of my excitement is mixed with more than a tinge of nervousness. I feel quite comfortable with my ST10 transmitters, but the Wizard is a bit of a paradigm shift. Also, since it's a 1st Gen. product (even though Yuneec seems to have a quite a good record so far), I'm a little hesitant to do more than 'baby steps' when using it for the first few (many?) times. Between me getting my head around its controls/interface and it being 'bleeding edge tech', I have a feeling I'll be warming up to the Wizard quite slowly...

To answer your question, they're now shipping a version of the Blade Wizard for the Chroma, and I've read in the documentation that they're nearly identical to the Typhoon Wizard (except for the color schemes), and can be interoperable with both the Q500 and the Chroma. I'll have to give it a try soon and report back :-)

For me, I'm pretty sure I'll be using the Wizard in very specific cases, (e.g. composing short 'fly-by/fly-over' shots of stationary or slowly moving objects), so I'll probably use it more with my 4k Typhoon than with the Chroma, at least at first. The Chroma is a bit more agile and speedier though, so for tracking faster moving subjects, I'd probably use the Chroma (if it indeed works as suspected ;-) ).

Kris, maybe it might be helpful to make notes as you progress with the Wizard. What works, what doesn't, what's good, what's not as good, etc. It may become a useful guide for the rest of us thinking of adding the Wizard to our tool-belt. Just a thought ;).

Brent

• Like 1

Agreed, Brent! I've recently started doing more detailed flight logs, documenting everything from my batteries to props/motors to transmitters, with notes for each flight. As I get out there and put the Wizard to use, I'll definitely be sharing some of those notes :-)

In the meantime, I just found a good report over on RCGroups from someone who actually strapped his Wizard to another RC plane of his and had relatively good success (his post is near the bottom of the page...). This is not something I would even want to do, but his notes are certainly helpful in getting to know the Wizard's capabilities :-) Talk about a 'stress test'!

My 2 cents about learning this, or any new copter is,

#1 PATIENCE!!!

#2 Do NOT try to learn to fly it in anything less than a large field or parking lot!

I got mine in November and since I'm in the Northwest US very near Canada, it snows, a lot, and it get pretty cold so much of the fall and winter here have been getting some flights in but more often watching all the videos of everyone else flying!

I did take a chance and flew on a day I shouldn't have, I too am a licensed pilot and fell for the "I've got to fly - itis", which resulted in a 2 minute flight ending when the winds got the quad into the side of a building because I was a bit over confident and took a chance flying in an area too confined and too windy for my second flight, around our house! I knew better but also wanted to fly the copter so badly I let it take my better judgment, to the cost of over $100.00 in parts and shipping for them from Yuneec. 

No problems since that day but I'm still at the high stress level every flight! These aren't inexpensive!! When I crashed mine fell from only about 6 feet up and while they are all somewhat strong they're still very fragile, a lot of videos of those crashes too! 

I am very glad I have chosen the Yuneec brand and really love the flying characteristics. I have found for me using the "turtle" mode while recording video makes the pans and transitions very, very smooth. They can become a bit jumpy in "rabbit" mode but I guess you could just edit those out. 

Good luck in this new flying adventure!

Hello from Southern California!

It's great to have such a forum to be able to refine our knowledge of this fast growing industry!

A couple of things on my Q500 4K aircraft:

Something not discussed much that I have seen is that when you video in 4K, the file sizes get HUGE, and you must be sure that your computer & graphics cards can handle the video....Don't ask me how I know this! My desktop is a few years old, a Dell 3.2GHz, i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, etc. and it will NOT play 4k. I have to ratchet down to 1080p, 24 FPS, and it works great. It would be interesting to hear from others on this subject.

The Q500 4k has a feature not discussed anywhere that I see that prevents you from taking a picture while video is on. The screen requires you to select an icon (either video or picture), wait a few seconds, then you can take your shot. It is advertised that you can take pictures WHILE videoing - Does anyone have comments on this? Am I missing something?

Great forum, more to come.

Hello GHawker, 

I debated the Q500+ versus the 4K when I was buying mine. As we don't have any 4K TVs and I already knew 1080p video files are very large files to begin with, learned that from my HD camcorder and it's SD card files, I decided to get the Q500+ Pro version. I'm hoping that at some future update they might add the variable camera settings of the 4K, to the CGO2 otherwise I'm very happy with the 500+. 

That said, with the recent cost cuts, if I was buying now, and also now knowing more fully about the 4K camera then I did then, I think I'd just get the 4K version and downgrade the footage as you mention.  

Yes to the inability to take video and photos at the same time, that in itself isn't a big deal to me and many editing programs can do "screen grab shots" from the paused video. It is talked about a bit in the manual that comes with the craft or you can download the manual off the Yuneec site. I had gotten the manual several weeks before getting the Q500+ so I could be more familiar with it when I actually got it. I also can't say enough about the many tests and how-to videos on YouTube and there are some good videos on the Yuneec site also. 

I grew up and lived in Southern California until retiring and moving to North Idaho 10 years ago. I'm only missing California now because I haven't been able to fly much at all over the winter up here!

Enjoy the flying!

JTBrn and GHawker - Great advice and info! As this thread grows it looks like I might have to invest in more notebooks :/. Or maybe add separate Topics for easier navigation. Just as an example, maybe Kris could start a Topic on the Wizard and GHawker could start one on 4K issues. What do you guys think?

Brent

• Like 1

I think that's a great idea Brent, this is about to change subjects a few times depending on the question at hand.

GHawker my computer experienced the same thing and I have a 3yr old Mac Book Pro, even when I put the footage on my desktops I got the same problem. I just brought the 4K down to a lower resolution. Concerning the photo while videoing problem, what JT said was correct, the easiest solution is taking a snap shot from the video. 

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with the Yuneec UAV Pilot Simulator Wi-Fi USB Stick? I guess it has been out awhile but just available from US suppliers recently. It appears decent for the price and has some good features. 

PS - My Q500 expected arrival day is this coming Thursday!!

Edited by Brent
  • Like 1

Hello Brent, and everybody else, I just today was finally able to get the simulator program to work. I had gotten the USB in the mail during the week but was having a lot of problems getting the actual program to work for me, including calling Yuneec USA and getting help from them. Although Yuneec USA now sells the dongles they do not have any US download site, it defaults back to the Yuneec.de site for the download link. 

It took a great guy in my opinion, Duane Davis of Sky Drones USA in Iowa, to help me get going with it. He tried everything and spent several hours of his Saturday on the phone with me and on the computer including "team viewer" to see if he could directly get it working on my computer, the downloads kept coming up with "cannot open file" error messages when attempting to open the Zip files. He finally determined that for whatever reason, and probably a slow Internet connection, the file was never entirely getting downloaded to any of my computers, just a guess though as I couldn't get it to work on a computer at work with a 5 Gb download speed either.  He finally found a program and was able to send the entire 107 MB file he had, via email, then it loaded, and worked right off.

The video is above is the same one he later sent me a link to when I couldn't get the transmitter paired with the dongle and program, this video shows exactly what you have to do and the steps to make it work as well as demonstrates the program in use. 

Now that it's working it is great and very realistic! As it was snowing all day today here it was really nice to be able to "fly" the Q500+ and get some practice in!

So, when all installed, you start the Simulator program, insert the dongle, a pop up will say "turn on transmitter" and if you have previously "bound" the transmitter to the dongle, and haven't flown the real Q500 since, it will connect right away and you're good to go. As the video shows you are in essence making the transmitter able to connect with another Q500 that is the 'virtual' Q500 so you will have to connect with each one to fly it, the real and the virtual and back and forth. There is basically no instructions with the program or the dongle so others experiences and videos like above are your best bet! I hope it will work right off for you!

• Like 1

Thanks @JTBrn for that info. With that in mind, I downloaded the software, and noted the file size did not match. I downloaded again and this time it did match the 107mb advertised size. I unzipped it and it installed properly. i guess I have no choice but to order the dongle now ;). Thanks again.

Brent

• Like 1

Hello all,

I'm a bit new to this forum and more specifically, the Yuneec forum.  I've been flying off and on for a year or two (my son's Blade nano) and then my Blade 350qx3.  Now I've sold that last week and my Q500 will be here today (couldn't pass up Horizon Hobby's sale).  I'm pretty excited to see this thing in person and get it up and flying.  Everyone's experiences above in this forum have given me the realization that I made the right choice in this quad.  I don't plan on using it for professional reasons, just recreation and the "Follow Me" feature should prove to be an asset as well.  Any tips or tricks from anyone would be most helpful.  Thanks, and happy flying!

Welcome @Aaron M to this part of the forum. My Q500 4K arrived yesterday (it took some resolve not to stay home from work today!), so other than what's in this thread so far, I can't help with any tips yet. But, I'm going to make notes as I progress and will be posting any questions I have on this forum. There is a lot of experience gathered here and not just with the Yuneec platform. These are exciting times!!

Brent