Brent

Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K

7 hours ago, Brent said:

Welcome @Aaron M to this part of the forum. My Q500 4K arrived yesterday (it took some resolve not to stay home from work today!), so other than what's in this thread so far, I can't help with any tips yet. But, I'm going to make notes as I progress and will be posting any questions I have on this forum. There is a lot of experience gathered here and not just with the Yuneec platform. These are exciting times!!

Brent

You didn't stay home from work? Shame on you @Brent.

Hi all!  Jim Burns from Salisbury, Maryland.  New to drone piloting, but am fascinated  with the variety of machines, technology, video equipment, size and amount of skill necessary to fly these.  After much investigation I chose the Typhoon Q500 4K and spent two evenings familiarizing myself with its operation.  After two short flights I have to say I'm glad I chose this one.  It's idiot proof features and quality make it perfect for a recreational pilot.

I love reading the many and varied stories in these forums and appreciate the "instructions" offered by experienced pilots.

Jim

Here's a friendly suggestion to all the new FPV operators...I have a 4k as well and wished someone had suggested this to me...if you are new to this hobby and not sure what to do first do this: TAKE OFF THE CAMERA and PACK it AWAY. :) There is way too much going on when you first get started...you don't need the FPV distraction...there is a very good reason that the higher end UAV's come with two controllers - one is to fly, the other is to operate the camera. LEARN to fly FIRST...then worry about the camera...My last youtube video has some great shots...it ends with me crashing into a tree...what you didn't see, secondly, is me crashing again and breaking the frame in two and cracking my camera good (I bought a replacement frame - that's all done - a LOT of work but I flew it yesterday and today and it fly's great). The camera smokes when I connect it...not good - sending it to Yuneec this week for repairs that are all my fault. I REALLY wish when I first bought this that someone had told me to just leave the camera off and focus on learning how to fly the aircraft - sounds silly - I got caught up in all the youtube videos and glory shots like a lot of us do - 'I can do this no problem...'...ok...maybe you can but I wished I hadn't. the flying skill set will come and come quickly as you spend more time with your bird. I'm learning in reverse - needed the adjustment - and am back flying again yesterday and today (bought a set of the carbon Aerial props made in Germany - sweet by the way). We'll see what happens to the camera - will keep you posted. Good luck and fly smart AND safe.

• Like 2

@Jon Hovey, that is great advice regarding learning to fly without the camera. It is another piece of expensive equipment you needn't have to worry about. Initial anxiety is bad enough as you practice maneuvers with ever increasing difficulty. It is especially true when learning to fly the Q500 with the GPS disabled. It is entirely a different beast and you don't want the extra stress of having to control the camera as well.

I, personally, would shy away from carbon fibre blades until one is very confident in their ability. From what I understand, the stock blades are designed to break at a much lower threshold whereas the CF blades will resist snapping which translates to a higher probability of motor or frame damage from the translated energy should there be an unfortunate mishap. Just my 2 cents worth (1 dime American!)

• Like 1

On 3/20/2016 at 6:46 PM, Jon Hovey said:

Here's a friendly suggestion to all the new FPV operators...I have a 4k as well and wished someone had suggested this to me...if you are new to this hobby and not sure what to do first do this: TAKE OFF THE CAMERA and PACK it AWAY. :) There is way too much going on when you first get started...you don't need the FPV distraction...there is a very good reason that the higher end UAV's come with two controllers - one is to fly, the other is to operate the camera. LEARN to fly FIRST...then worry about the camera...My last youtube video has some great shots...it ends with me crashing into a tree...what you didn't see, secondly, is me crashing again and breaking the frame in two and cracking my camera good (I bought a replacement frame - that's all done - a LOT of work but I flew it yesterday and today and it fly's great). The camera smokes when I connect it...not good - sending it to Yuneec this week for repairs that are all my fault. I REALLY wish when I first bought this that someone had told me to just leave the camera off and focus on learning how to fly the aircraft - sounds silly - I got caught up in all the youtube videos and glory shots like a lot of us do - 'I can do this no problem...'...ok...maybe you can but I wished I hadn't. the flying skill set will come and come quickly as you spend more time with your bird. I'm learning in reverse - needed the adjustment - and am back flying again yesterday and today (bought a set of the carbon Aerial props made in Germany - sweet by the way). We'll see what happens to the camera - will keep you posted. Good luck and fly smart AND safe.

New owner of Q500. Had to scrub first flight after 2 min due to high winds. 22 to 35 mph winds today too. Hope to get out on Sunday. Good Idea, I'm gonna remove camera for initial flights.

Hello Brent:

I recently picked up a Q500 4K after flying a Sharper Image DX2 indoors for a while. I agree that taking the camera off in the beginning is a great idea, but you know you had to have that video from your first flight. Love the view from your yard. I am in Lethbridge and mine is similar. Unfortunately, this is January in Lethbridge which means 100 K (63 mph for our American friends) winds with a chance of some snow. Way to much wind to even consider flying (launch in Lethbridge, retrieve in Taber). Any advice on flying areas common to us would be greatly appreciated. I have learned that National and Provincial parks are no fly, as well as all of Lethbridge. I am planning a trip to the Crowsnest Pass when the winds die down some.

Here's to flying our birds all...

• Like 1

Hello @ChuckBridges,

Here is a link to Recreational access to Grazing leases https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAccess/Viewer/?TermsOfUseRequired=true&Viewer=RecAccess. There is also an app IHUNTER AB with basically the same info. You can locate leases and determine the leaseholder contact info as well as any restrictions for access. Worked well for me. As long as you fly within the guidelines as set out by Transport Canada, you should be good. You should also check for a MAAC club in your area (Windy West RC Club springs to mind) which will have some resources perhaps.

I, unfortunately, have been grounded. Apparently both my knees have reached the end of their service cycle and replacement parts are on back-order.

Good luck with flying your Q500 4K. I had a blast while I was able.

Signing off.

Brent

• Like 1

On 1/19/2016 at 9:00 AM, Brent said:

Kris, maybe it might be helpful to make notes as you progress with the Wizard. What works, what doesn't, what's good, what's not as good, etc. It may become a useful guide for the rest of us thinking of adding the Wizard to our tool-belt. Just a thought ;).

Brent

I agree, and it would be really great if you could share those "Wizard" notes too!    Took mine out for the first time yesterday, looked at it for a minute or two, and then tucked it nicely back in the case.  I do know for sure there is a "Binding" process, and in the directions for doing so, it said that if the process fails repeat until it's bound.  That was about exactly the point when I said Yeah? No.  Not today, at least.