KHAWK

Drones and Law Enforcement

Hey guys - new to the drone world and I'm quickly finding out its a big one!

Any insight on what (if any) types of drones are being used domestically by law enforcement agencies for recon, extended surveillance, suspect immobilization etc?

Im looking into manufacturers, cutting edge tech , FHA requirements etc. that is shaking up this sector for a possible business venture on my end.

Thanks!

KHAWK

Thanks for posting, @KHAWK. The sky is the limit...ultimately depends on what you're looking to get into, specifically. Some good examples are listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_UAVs_in_law_enforcement#United_States

Here are some specific sUAS being used:

https://www.policeone.com/police-products/investigation/video-surveillance/articles/7067279-5-UAV-technologies-for-police/

Hope that helps. Happy to offer assistance with any FAA / regulatory questions since it looks like you're in the U.S.

Excellent thanks! That L3 is along the lines of what I referring to, basically a multi stage system that gives long range surveillance but can deploy assets on a target. Yep I'm in the US and from my novice understanding the FAA and private sectors are figuring out best use regulations and licensing?

Another words I can just start launching drone systems into the sky huh lol.

4 hours ago, KHAWK said:

Excellent thanks! That L3 is along the lines of what I referring to, basically a multi stage system that gives long range surveillance but can deploy assets on a target. Yep I'm in the US and from my novice understanding the FAA and private sectors are figuring out best use regulations and licensing?

Another words I can just start launching drone systems into the sky huh lol.

Yes, there are existing regulations in place, but they're in the process of being updated. More information here:

http://uavcoach.com/drone-certification

Ala, I'm in the same boat as KHAWK.  I'm an elected official in our county and want to become a(the) certified UAS pilot for our EMA/Sheriff.  Can you provide clarification as to the process necessary for me to attain my certification or exemption from the FAA.

Thanks,

Kerry 

• Like 1

Hey @Commish,

As a public entity, you do have the option to apply for a public Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA), but based on my understanding it would be easier to get certified and to operate under the same provisions as non-public, civil sUAS operators. So, to go through Part 107 - take the Aeronautical Knowledge Test, apply online for your Remote Pilot Certificate, then be good to go.