Kirk

Cities starting to require permits in my area!

I accepted a job shooting an event last weekend, don't normally do events but this was a big real estate office owner how could I pass that up. While going over the details of the event to plan my shooting I slip in the offer to shot drone photos as well as normal photography. Client has many listings in a neighboring city called Hermosa Beach. She tells me in that city they need a permit to fly drones, I told her that was good info but in your city we are just fine. Everything was great packed up, went home, looked up Hermosa Beach. I'm going to try and do business with this business owner so I need info. Sure enough she's correct. I go down to city hall where they redirect me to the police department, pay my $145 dollars, the officer stickers my drone and gives me the appropriate permit paperwork. Now this is not a filming permit like every city in my area has . This is a straight up city ordinance to allow commercial or amateur to fly a drone in their city. I told the officer this is exactly like telling someone you may have a drivers license that allows you to drive in any city in this country but you'll need a permit to drive thru ours.

• Like 1

Calling all of the city halls in my perspective work areas to verify there are no other cities with a drone ordinance so I don't run into another issue. The city of El Segundo, ca gave me some weird answers that didn't make sense. Drove down to their city hall, I ended up in front of the city business guy. He had a lot of questions for me as well. Turns out he regards me as a drone expert (don't know about that) and wants me to come speak in front of their city council meeting so that I can educate the body with insight. My fear is that I'll say something that triggers more regulation on our already overly regulated industry. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 3

I had a commercial to shoot in Hermosa Beach near the"Strand" pier.  Saw that it was a fly zone, so I (stupidly) just figured that there wouldn't be any issue with my  faa license.  Long story short I had a long discussion with the police and the life-guards.  It only seemed to irritate them as I explained that it's national airspace in class G airspace.  They wouldn't have any part of it and told the talent and my assistant to go home.  Didn't even mention that I "could" get a permit!  I may give them a call tomorrow explaining that this is my job and livelihood.  Was actually thinking of moving there, too.  Their loss.

I only found out by accident that I needed a permit in that city. The funny thing is that the police officers that issued me the permit were more interested in my underwater photography. I do both.

• Like 1