Kirk

LAX airspace question help.

9 posts in this topic

So I have a need to shoot photo in a city called El Segundo, ca. It is located directly south of LAX. Now as I study the map I note the area that is the city limit does not extend to the beach, shows a obstacle 462 ft (buildings), 2,500 ft floor east of the city, and the B airspace has a 5,000 ft floor. In my estimation I have no airspace issues with this city. My only issue is the 3 mile from airport rule. So when asking for waiver do I only ask for relief to operate within the city limits of El Segundo? I know you guys are smarter Then I am so you'll have some input.

Isn't it five miles?  Not that in this case it really matters.  The link you provided is for Seattle.

@Av8Chuck the link I provided is of the entire US. It's interactive so just go south of where you were to Los Angeles.

That's a pretty cool map..

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

So I have a need to shoot photo in a city called El Segundo, ca. It is located directly south of LAX. Now as I study the map I note the area that is the city limit does not extend to the beach, shows a obstacle 462 ft (buildings), 2,500 ft floor east of the city, and the B airspace has a 5,000 ft floor. In my estimation I have no airspace issues with this city. My only issue is the 3 mile from airport rule. So when asking for waiver do I only ask for relief to operate within the city limits of El Segundo? I know you guys are smarter Then I am so you'll have some input.

5945b428c664e_ScreenShot2017-06-17at3_56_59PM.png.28ca83fadfdef591ad6149467f1cf557.png

According to the UAS Facility map that area is class D from 0 to 2500 ft 

See this is why I asked the question here. Just looking at the sectional there is a lot going on in that area. @Spitfire76 I've not seen the "UAS facility map" you screen captured here. I'm going to google it but while I'm here. Where did you get that app or software?

Posted (edited)

@Spitfire76 ahhh! That is the FAA's maps. When they first went online I tried to use it put their maps were not online and I haven't been back since. That sure makes things a lot easier to work with. Thanks!

Edited by Kirk

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Kirk said:

See this is why I asked the question here. Just looking at the sectional there is a lot going on in that area. @Spitfire76 I've not seen the "UAS facility map" you screen captured here. I'm going to google it but while I'm here. Where did you get that app or software?

Its a new set of maps that the FAA is providing for UAS pilots to help with airspace authorization particularly around airports. Click on "The maps" link in the first paragraph. 

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/uas_facility_maps/

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 7.44.33 PM.png

The sectional map is not so clear as that section of D airspace borders B airspace on 2 sides. The [25] of course means a D airspace ceiling of 2500 ft.

Edited by Spitfire76