Steve Bennett

DJI Spark used to build 3D model

You can build a model from the pictures of any camera.  I have not seen a Spark, but we are testing the MAVIC Pro and so far the camera is not good enough for decent photogrammetry or video inspection.  

Have you used a camera and photogrammetry or it was a 3d scanner attached to a drone. I have a mad idea of attaching a handheld 3d scanner used to scan huge industry objects like planes. Now I use this scanner to scan part of plane. Engine and other by moving it with my hand, what if use a drone to scan the whole plane? 

I map professionally using the Phantom 4, Mavic Pro and now the Spark.  The camera quality is good enough to get most job tasks completed, including 3D models.  I successfully use the data with FARO 3D Laser scan data.   3D maps of land and roadways are easy for most any model and camera, 3D modeling is more challenging with lower quality cameras but can still be achieved.  The phantom does the best job overall followed by the Mavic Pro, but the spark surprisingly does a great job for the money and is less noticeable, smaller, quieter.   Good luck. 

On 20/8/2017 at 2:48 AM, Reconguru said:

I map professionally using the Phantom 4, Mavic Pro and now the Spark.  The camera quality is good enough to get most job tasks completed, including 3D models.  I successfully use the data with FARO 3D Laser scan data.   3D maps of land and roadways are easy for most any model and camera, 3D modeling is more challenging with lower quality cameras but can still be achieved.  The phantom does the best job overall followed by the Mavic Pro, but the spark surprisingly does a great job for the money and is less noticeable, smaller, quieter.   Good luck. 

Thanks Reconguru,

What app do you use to fly to take photos for maps with the spark?
The ones I know: drone deploy, Pix4D, Precisionmaper, it seems that they do not work for the spark.
Thank you!