Sign in to follow this  
AIFrank

Phantom "No Positioning" During Flight Ops

AIFrank    0

I have noticed a curious trend with "no Positioning" error when flying Phantom drones. During 3 seperate flights while a commercial aircraft flew over for approach to landing my drones went "no positioning" and the drone began to fly away erratically.  I was able to recover two missions without incident. The third ended up with a total loss of control with the drone flipping upside down about a foot off the ground.  I wasn't able to shut the power off with the remote and watch in horror as the aircraft blades spun to destruction.  Has anyone else had this happen with commercial aircraft in the area?  

Steve Bennett    142

Questions to your question:

What UAS system?
What geographic location (lat/long)?
Estimate of how high the aircraft was above you?

In short, areas I operate in for class G surface have a couple jet routes above me, but I've never had what you describe happen.

RicardoGray    5
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, AIFrank said:

I have noticed a curious trend with "no Positioning" error when flying Phantom drones. During 3 seperate flights while a commercial aircraft flew over for approach to landing my drones went "no positioning" and the drone began to fly away erratically.  I was able to recover two missions without incident. The third ended up with a total loss of control with the drone flipping upside down about a foot off the ground.  I wasn't able to shut the power off with the remote and watch in horror as the aircraft blades spun to destruction.  Has anyone else had this happen with commercial aircraft in the area?  

I'm guessing these aircraft are probably closer to you than just flying several thousand feet over you correct? You do say they flew over your approach to landing your phantom. Just where are you flying that you are that close to these airplanes. Sounds a little suspicious to me. Not trying to be critical of you. Be aware that the GPS for your drone in located in the top of the aircraft. If the overhead aircraft is blocking your GPS signal I could see why you are getting the error, but again, it would have to be right on top of you so to speak. I have never had anything like this but any aircraft I have ever been around would be hundreds if not thousands of feet higher than me. As far as the flipping over.....I don't have an reason as to why, but there have been those operators that tried to land their bird and upon shutting the motors off they gave a CSC command instead of the left stick down and outward or inward (depending on which model you have) and it will have this effect. The phantom will flip over and no commands will be recognized by the aircraft and you have to manually pull the battery out of it.

AIFrank    0
8 hours ago, RicardoGray said:

I'm guessing these aircraft are probably closer to you than just flying several thousand feet over you correct? You do say they flew over your approach to landing your phantom. Just where are you flying that you are that close to these airplanes. Sounds a little suspicious to me. Not trying to be critical of you. Be aware that the GPS for your drone in located in the top of the aircraft. If the overhead aircraft is blocking your GPS signal I could see why you are getting the error, but again, it would have to be right on top of you so to speak. I have never had anything like this but any aircraft I have ever been around would be hundreds if not thousands of feet higher than me. As far as the flipping over.....I don't have an reason as to why, but there have been those operators that tried to land their bird and upon shutting the motors off they gave a CSC command instead of the left stick down and outward or inward (depending on which model you have) and it will have this effect. The phantom will flip over and no commands will be recognized by the aircraft and you have to manually pull the battery out of it.

Firstly I'm a current rated private pilot with a couple thousand hours logged in various aircraft.  Trying not to giggle here and no disrespect but approach to land can be called from a very far distance from the the airport depending on airspace and traffic.  However, on final indicates you're  in the pattern, in the airspace at pattern altitude or lower and you're cleared to land.  I live outside the 5 mile key so the commercial aircraft approaching to land are 2,550ft msl. Sorry if your suspicious but this is simply not the case.  Thanks for your input with the inverted drone control failure, that makes sense.  

Edited by AIFrank

RicardoGray    5

AlFrank, I was not trying to imply that you didn't know what you were doing. You didn't offer anything in your first post about you being a pilot. I know your picture shows you with a headset on, so I hope I didn't offend you. I am not one ,but can totally appreciate your expertise in this area. Obviously you are very aware of your surroundings. I am also somewhat close to an airport, and I understand and thank you for the explanation about the "approach to land". I cooperate a lot on the DJI forums and you can't imagine some of the questions that are posted! LOL Anyway, I have never experienced anything like you are describing. I have been flying for a couple years now and have been pretty close to high voltage power lines, and have also had aircraft fly over me but at least 2000 ft. high. I can't imagine the aircraft is blocking the GPS signal, but have you noticed it anywhere else? You didn't mention what drones you have. I assumed they are in the Phantom family. You may have a GPS going bad? Does your RC signal completely drop off? You would know better than anyone, but is the aircraft that is on approach putting off any type of signal that would be jamming the drone? I guess that is what you are asking too. I do know that depending on which model you have, but the RC signal is either 2.4ghz or .58ghz.

Hope you get it figured out. Doesn't make flying much fun when is goes out of control on you. Do you have the latest firmware on all of your drones? Sorry for all the questions but just trying to offer up some help. I am just thinking after the fact here, but if by chance you have a "Standard", of course you know it uses "WiFi' for control and might be more sensitive to any stray signals than some of the other models that use the "Lightbridge" technologies. Good Luck! 

• Like 1