Everybody knows that a commercial pilot must first get a waiver to fly at night. But my question is, do hobbyists fall under the same criteria?  If you're licensed pilot but you're not flying at the time for money can you fly at night without a waiver?   Can a hobbyist that is not a commercial pilot flight at night? 

Any help to clear this up would be greatly appreciated. 

R Martin    75
9 hours ago, Derrick Ward said:

Everybody knows that a commercial pilot must first get a waiver to fly at night. But my question is, do hobbyists fall under the same criteria?  If you're licensed pilot but you're not flying at the time for money can you fly at night without a waiver?   Can a hobbyist that is not a commercial pilot flight at night? 

"8. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations."

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

Spitfire76    197
9 hours ago, Derrick Ward said:

Interesting question. Here is what I found from looking on the FAA and AMA websites.

"Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  4. Give way to manned aircraft
  5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization"

Regarding #2 above the AMA provides a set of safety guidelines and I noticed the following at line B-6.

"RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations"