• Announcements

Willie

Looking for private instructor

Willie    0

Looking a private coach to teach basic, intermediate and advanced drone flying skills. There are various workshops listed on line but they are either at bad times or the focus primarily on the part 107 certification test.   I want to develop my skills as a pilot, and a private coach might be quicker than reviewing YouTube videos and practicing on my own. I live in Long Beach, CA about 25 miles south of LA. 

Steve Bennett    142

Hi Wilie,

I work in Long beach near the airport. If you are flying as a hobbyist and looking to fly in the area, you'll need to be about 5 miles away from both LB airport and El Monte Army Airfield along with the numerous helipads in the area, unless you already have agreements with these facilities to fly in the area. As a part 107 pilot, I've got similar restrictions unless I get an airspace authorization from FAA and that takes about 30-90 days. Best to go slightly outside the area and look for a clear spot using the FAA smartphone app called B4Ufly.

That being said, what type of craft do you have that you are looking for lessons with?

• Like 1

Av8Chuck    166

We have a field where we do testing and training.  Most training is for our customers but if you wanted to come to our field for training we'd be willing to consider it.

this is about the only video I have on YouTube that shows the facility.

we're located in Thousand Oaks so it'd be an if of a drive but if you arrived early we could do two or three hour blocks.  Also we don't really teach people how to dumb thumb, it's more autonomous mission based training but we have a couple of hotdogs who could certainly help you improve.

• Like 1

Willie    0

This sounds great. To get there early I would probably come up the night before. I have lots of hotel and RCI points so finding a place in the area should be no problem. I consider myself a beginner who has just flown recreational in local parks. I have a DJI Mavik and access to an Inspire 1 I have flown a couple of times. I have an older Phantom 2 and a really old DJI 750 (I think) Hexacopter that I don't think I even recall how to fly. I took the FAA 107 test just to learn more about safety, airspace, etc. and passed. But I don't kid myself, I'm a basic beginner who wants to get better. I'm near retirement age and want to do something with drones when I retire next year.  I would love to learn from your hotdogs as well as more about autonomous mission work. Do you guys work on weekends or just weekdays?  My job is pretty much all-consuming but I can get a vacation day in here and there. Thanks for responding. 

Av8Chuck    166

Unfortunately, we just fly on the weekdays.  Do you have a field near you to practice?

The Mavic is about the easiest drone there is to fly.  One of the things about DJI's is that in general, they're all pretty easy to fly.  The issue with DJI is that they're quirky, one day they work fine and the next they might not, so the more you practice the more you begin to recognize their foibles.

As stupid as this sounds, paint, tape, chalk two one foot rectangles on the ground about 20 ft apart.  Standing about 20ft away with the tail in, take off from one and land in the other.  Do that as many times as you need to to make it one smooth continuous motion.  When you get good at that, back up 20ft and do it again.

Once you've concurred that, move the boxes 50ft apart, rinse and repeat.  After that, rotate the drone 90 degrees to the right, rinse and repeat.  Do this until you can take off and land with the drone in any orientation.  Then add two more rectangles and then fly a circuit.

You'll get a lot more from your training when you don't have to think about the orientation of the drone.  With a Mavic, you can practice this in the garage or possibly a large room. 

• Like 1

Steve Bennett    142

@Willie, what @Av8Chuck said is probably the best place to start since you have a mavic. Getting really comfortable with recognizing where your drone is, the orientation its in with relationship to you and moving it in the direction you want is crucial to not running it into something.

Jim Brammer    11

Hello @Willie,

I am a Part 107 pilot and live in the San Fernando Valley. There is a great RC flying field up here - near the intersection of the 405 and 101 freeways - where where we could meet and I could provide some flight training. Please send me your phone number and email in a private message from this forum if you'd like to connect so we can discuss further.