Hi Everyone,

I just wondered what tips you might have on how to sell your services. I hear from a lot of folks that this is one of the hardest things for them to do when they get started in the business. Do you suggest they offer discounted or a free shoot, or do you feel that will detract from their value in the long run? What has worked best for you when it comes to closing deals?

Thanks!

That's really tough to say.  It really depends on the realtor, the products or services your offering and whether the realtor values marketing at all.  I'm amazed at the number of realtors who's idea of marketing is cell phone pictures on Zillow.

But then I'm equally amazed at the number of 107 operators who just want to shoot the roof from a drone...

I've found that most of the realtors in my area who have the $2M+ listings are older and just believe in working their Rolodex, they aren't willing to pay much above $250 for anything.  I'd suggest finding three or four younger, ambitious realtors in your area that are looking for ways to get the bigger listings and show them how you can help them accomplish that.     

In order to do that you're going to have to do more than aerial, you'll need to be able to shoot the stills, video, color correct and produce media that can provide them with marketing materials that separate them from every idiot on Zillow. 

I've done a lot of property video's, but keep in mind that I don't rely on this for my income so maybe the thing to do is offer them some incentive, but it's been my experience that most realtors won't appreciate it.  They'll just go with the next person to offer an incentive.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

I'd suggest finding three or four younger, ambitious realtors in your area that are looking for ways to get the bigger listings and show them how you can help them accomplish that.     

I like this idea. I typically suggest reaching out to the higher producers as they are more likely to see the value and be willing to pay for the service, then the other realtors will often follow suit. If I wasn't able to get in the door with the bigger producers this would be a nice new angle to take. Thank you for the input.

I totally agree with you Av8Chuck. It totally depends on realtor, on the way he makes efforts for selling a house. When one chooses to become a commercial real estate career NJ, they get to know about the tips and tricks which gives the profit during the selling of house. It is always a better way to get a guidance from an experienced faculty.

It's a tough market, indeed.  You want the high producers, but the fact is the high producers already have a solid relationship with their marketing media provider.  And we can all relate to the concept of not fixing things that aren't broken, so personally I would NOT recommend chasing only the big fish.  Rather, I'd find people who are still producing decent sales, but are hungry for better listings.  Appeal to their sense of improvement and show them how you can bring them to the next level of listing quality.

Remember, these showcases are not only for the purpose of selling the home.  They're also for the purpose of the realtor obtaining better listings down the road, based upon how they can represent a property.  Attack it from that angle, and you'll be more successful.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:44 PM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

It's a tough market, indeed.  You want the high producers, but the fact is the high producers already have a solid relationship with their marketing media provider.  And we can all relate to the concept of not fixing things that aren't broken, so personally I would NOT recommend chasing only the big fish.  Rather, I'd find people who are still producing decent sales, but are hungry for better listings.  Appeal to their sense of improvement and show them how you can bring them to the next level of listing quality.

Remember, these showcases are not only for the purpose of selling the home.  They're also for the purpose of the realtor obtaining better listings down the road, based upon how they can represent a property.  Attack it from that angle, and you'll be more successful.

I agree that the approach you mention is a good approach, but the state of the realtor's relationship with their media company shouldn't be assumed, If the big producer needs a property shot right away and their current provider is booked there could be a door open. If their current provider is a little bit lazy in their business practices there is another possible opening. There are also plenty of realtors out there who simply need to be made aware of the value high-end photography/videography bring to the table.  That being said you mentioned that you would not recommend "only chasing the big fish". That I agree with, but I feel photographers should be actively seeking out those opportunities. 

Edited by RTV, Inc. - Jay
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RTV, Inc. - Jay said:

I agree that the approach you mention is a good approach, but the state of the realtor's relationship with their media company shouldn't be assumed, If the big producer needs a property shot right away and their current provider is booked there could be a door open. If their current provider is a little bit lazy in their business practices there is another possible opening. There are also plenty of realtors out there who simply need to be made aware of the value high-end photography/videography bring to the table.  That being said you mentioned that you would not recommend "only chasing the big fish". That I agree with, but I feel photographers should be actively seeking out those opportunities. 

I agree, the realtors' media provider relationships should never be assumed, but definitely worth understanding.  Sure, there will be windows of opportunity, which should be seized, but it's a fact that top producing agents prefer to stick with a solid media provider.  My point was more so trying to convey the idea that simply walking in and saying 'look how great I am' is akin to doing the same in the music industry...you'll find yourself holding an armful of demos and not much more most times.

With that said, absolutely, seek those opportunities and rock on!  Never say never, and book up your calendar :)

• Like 1