Hi Everyone,

I just wondered what tips you might have on how to sell your services. I hear from a lot of folks that this is one of the hardest things for them to do when they get started in the business. Do you suggest they offer discounted or a free shoot, or do you feel that will detract from their value in the long run? What has worked best for you when it comes to closing deals?

Thanks!

That's really tough to say.  It really depends on the realtor, the products or services your offering and whether the realtor values marketing at all.  I'm amazed at the number of realtors who's idea of marketing is cell phone pictures on Zillow.

But then I'm equally amazed at the number of 107 operators who just want to shoot the roof from a drone...

I've found that most of the realtors in my area who have the $2M+ listings are older and just believe in working their Rolodex, they aren't willing to pay much above $250 for anything.  I'd suggest finding three or four younger, ambitious realtors in your area that are looking for ways to get the bigger listings and show them how you can help them accomplish that.     

In order to do that you're going to have to do more than aerial, you'll need to be able to shoot the stills, video, color correct and produce media that can provide them with marketing materials that separate them from every idiot on Zillow. 

I've done a lot of property video's, but keep in mind that I don't rely on this for my income so maybe the thing to do is offer them some incentive, but it's been my experience that most realtors won't appreciate it.  They'll just go with the next person to offer an incentive.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

I'd suggest finding three or four younger, ambitious realtors in your area that are looking for ways to get the bigger listings and show them how you can help them accomplish that.     

I like this idea. I typically suggest reaching out to the higher producers as they are more likely to see the value and be willing to pay for the service, then the other realtors will often follow suit. If I wasn't able to get in the door with the bigger producers this would be a nice new angle to take. Thank you for the input.

I totally agree with you Av8Chuck. It totally depends on realtor, on the way he makes efforts for selling a house. When one chooses to become a commercial real estate career NJ, they get to know about the tips and tricks which gives the profit during the selling of house. It is always a better way to get a guidance from an experienced faculty.

It's a tough market, indeed.  You want the high producers, but the fact is the high producers already have a solid relationship with their marketing media provider.  And we can all relate to the concept of not fixing things that aren't broken, so personally I would NOT recommend chasing only the big fish.  Rather, I'd find people who are still producing decent sales, but are hungry for better listings.  Appeal to their sense of improvement and show them how you can bring them to the next level of listing quality.

Remember, these showcases are not only for the purpose of selling the home.  They're also for the purpose of the realtor obtaining better listings down the road, based upon how they can represent a property.  Attack it from that angle, and you'll be more successful.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:44 PM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

It's a tough market, indeed.  You want the high producers, but the fact is the high producers already have a solid relationship with their marketing media provider.  And we can all relate to the concept of not fixing things that aren't broken, so personally I would NOT recommend chasing only the big fish.  Rather, I'd find people who are still producing decent sales, but are hungry for better listings.  Appeal to their sense of improvement and show them how you can bring them to the next level of listing quality.

Remember, these showcases are not only for the purpose of selling the home.  They're also for the purpose of the realtor obtaining better listings down the road, based upon how they can represent a property.  Attack it from that angle, and you'll be more successful.

I agree that the approach you mention is a good approach, but the state of the realtor's relationship with their media company shouldn't be assumed, If the big producer needs a property shot right away and their current provider is booked there could be a door open. If their current provider is a little bit lazy in their business practices there is another possible opening. There are also plenty of realtors out there who simply need to be made aware of the value high-end photography/videography bring to the table.  That being said you mentioned that you would not recommend "only chasing the big fish". That I agree with, but I feel photographers should be actively seeking out those opportunities. 

Edited by RTV, Inc. - Jay
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RTV, Inc. - Jay said:

I agree that the approach you mention is a good approach, but the state of the realtor's relationship with their media company shouldn't be assumed, If the big producer needs a property shot right away and their current provider is booked there could be a door open. If their current provider is a little bit lazy in their business practices there is another possible opening. There are also plenty of realtors out there who simply need to be made aware of the value high-end photography/videography bring to the table.  That being said you mentioned that you would not recommend "only chasing the big fish". That I agree with, but I feel photographers should be actively seeking out those opportunities. 

I agree, the realtors' media provider relationships should never be assumed, but definitely worth understanding.  Sure, there will be windows of opportunity, which should be seized, but it's a fact that top producing agents prefer to stick with a solid media provider.  My point was more so trying to convey the idea that simply walking in and saying 'look how great I am' is akin to doing the same in the music industry...you'll find yourself holding an armful of demos and not much more most times.

With that said, absolutely, seek those opportunities and rock on!  Never say never, and book up your calendar :)

• Like 1

As an active REALTOR for 35 years, I have personally always thought it to be better to hire a professional and pay a fair price for photos and videos.  My time is better spent marketing the property and myself.  But over the years, I have been greatly impressed by several different photography services and have enjoyed the field myself.  When the Mavic Pro first came out, I had to have one and part of my justification for purchasing the drone was to enable me to take aerial shots that were, at the time, quite expensive as I had to hire a helicopter pilot and photographer.  The Mavic Pro was a great solution to that once high cost for those photos.  Along the way, I have begun to work in my spare time on developing a business plan for providing the same services I have for so long purchased from others.  After 35 years in the business, I am looking toward reducing the time spent in the industry selling homes and commercial properties. I will not give up opportunities resulting from so many years in the business, but I intend to refer more business to others and devote more time to my passion for photography.

So I am diving into final Cut Pro X and steadily developing the skills to provide the same services to others that I used to purchase for myself.  The best part is that there are so many other skilled photo and video professionals to learn from.  Success leaves clues and figuring out how to recreate the great videos produced by others is simply a learning  and a practice experience.

I see that this is turning into a long answer to a short question, so I offer this advice.  Find some agents like me and take them out for coffee or lunch or whatever.  Do not take NO for an answer.  And they will say NO.  Or that they already have their own vender.  Ask them to try you out one time at no charge and if they like your product, well then you may have the opportunity you seek.  But before you ever make that call, be sure you have the skills to provide the product they expect.  Until you do, be sure to market yourself on social media sites with displays of your product as it develops.  It may start with one great photo or video, but will rapidly grow as do your skills.  Be sure to have at least one good marketing video that showcases your skill. Then go for it.

You can view my Facebook site at: https://www.facebook.com/northshoredroneservices/

I've only been adding to it for less than a year.

Also: http://www.northshoredroneservices.com

And my fist complete property video:

Best of luck,

Jay

Edited by Jay Burnham
  • Like 2

Jay,

Great video.  Nice slow reveal shots.  I noticed you said you do "surveys" on your website.  Search the threads on here about drone surveys and surveyors.  Good info.

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you for your insight Jay. I have heard some folks who are vehemently opposed to do anything for free. They feel it detracts from their perceived value in the long term. I don't subscribe to that point of view myself. Of course, you can't give your services away forever, but sometimes it takes a little bit extra to get your foot in the door.

On 11/17/2017 at 4:51 PM, Alan Perlman said:

Wanted to post this resource from the RTV crew here as well:

https://uavcoach.com/real-estate-marketing/

Thank you very much Alan!  I have been trying to find back here in the community where to post our next couple shows that we have coming up at RTV.  I suppose here is the best logical spot.  So we have a show coming up tomorrow and anyone back here is welcome.  This show tomorrow will teach you how to do virtual staging and you can register here https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8668201516552871682  What we have found over at www.BlueLaVaMedia.com is that the more you can offer real estate agents the better.  You become their personal assistant on a per-listing basis and that's HUGE.  You are their FIRST phone call when they get that listing because you can do everything to help promote and market their properties online.  

Ok show number two is next week.  Register for that here - https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7447741410847624707   Next week's show will be all about picking up jphoto and drone jobs from RTV.  Last year we pushed out several thousand jobs and this year it's likely to be even more since we just picked up Best Western. 

Anyone is more than welcome to attend these shows.  Jay and I are here to help you with any and all marketing needs!

Sincerely,
Jason 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlueLaVa said:

Next week's show will be all about picking up jphoto and drone jobs from RTV.  Last year we pushed out several thousand jobs and this year it's likely to be even more since we just picked up Best Western. 

Sweet!

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2018 at 11:54 AM, RTV, Inc. - Jay said:

Thank you for your insight Jay. I have heard some folks who are vehemently opposed to do anything for free. They feel it detracts from their perceived value in the long term. I don't subscribe to that point of view myself. Of course, you can't give your services away forever, but sometimes it takes a little bit extra to get your foot in the door.

Just wanted to give you my take on offering a free sample. 

Several years ago I started an auto reconditioning business in my backyard shop, I went to the area car dealerships talked to the general managers left my card and a price sheet and went home to wait for the phone to ring. 3 weeks nothing, decided rather than sitting around with nothing to do I could try some free stuff at least I wasn't sitting idol. Went back to all the dealerships offered to clean 3 cars for each dealership for free, how could they loose. I impressed them so much with the quality of my work 3 out of the 5 dealerships had me as there exclusive detail shop and 2 of the dealerships paid me for the free ones. Within a month I had to hire help, at 6months I hired a second person and a book keeper ran that operation for 3 years and turned it into an auto body shop for another 3 years. All from cleaning 15 cars.

I'm going to approach my drone photography with that same idea since I have my real estate license and have met a lot of the agents through classes. My First shoot is with the office manager who in also the board President and my mentor, I have offered to shoot a couple of Her more expensive listings when the weather improves and see how it goes. Any feedback or thoughts would be helpful. 

Dave Corcoran 

Fingerlakes region NY

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, David Corcoran said:

Just wanted to give you my take on offering a free sample. 

Several years ago I started an auto reconditioning business in my backyard shop, I went to the area car dealerships talked to the general managers left my card and a price sheet and went home to wait for the phone to ring. 3 weeks nothing, decided rather than sitting around with nothing to do I could try some free stuff at least I wasn't sitting idol. Went back to all the dealerships offered to clean 3 cars for each dealership for free, how could they loose. I impressed them so much with the quality of my work 3 out of the 5 dealerships had me as there exclusive detail shop and 2 of the dealerships paid me for the free ones. Within a month I had to hire help, at 6months I hired a second person and a book keeper ran that operation for 3 years and turned it into an auto body shop for another 3 years. All from cleaning 15 cars.

I'm going to approach my drone photography with that same idea since I have my real estate license and have met a lot of the agents through classes. My First shoot is with the office manager who in also the board President and my mentor, I have offered to shoot a couple of Her more expensive listings when the weather improves and see how it goes. Any feedback or thoughts would be helpful. 

Dave Corcoran 

Fingerlakes region NY

This is a fabulous story, Dave, thanks for sharing!

I think your approach is solid.  I did this exact same thing when I started our real estate media biz.  It all began with photos alone, and I rang the phone off the hook trying to solicit realtors.  My pitch:  Lemme shoot a property pro bono and see if we like working together.  Whenever they said, 'I don't have anything coming up but I'll call if I do', I responded with, 'No problem, and another thought is that if you have an old stale listing that isn't moving, maybe I could shoot that to give it a fresh new look?'  

A few took me up on the offer, some never called me back, and those who did propelled us into an actual business.  

During the first year, I ended up shooting about 75 properties, which included vacant lots, tear-downs, fixer-uppers, nice homes & condos, and a few high-end luxury homes in the $10-20M range.  We finished our second year (last year) with 206 properties captured in some way shape or form, and we're looking to break over the 300 mark for this year.  

From the very start with still photos, it didn't take long until clients wanted video, so I self-learned and began offering that.  Immediately after video, they wanted aerial drone work, and most recently 3D matterport scans.  Today, we pretty much do all things real estate media related, from virtual capture for multi-housing build projects to oceanfront estates.  

Like yourself, it all began with a humble start.  One important key here, as you obviously already know, is to stay humble despite the success.  It's an attractive trait to most, especially among lofty-minded realtors :)

Thanks for your feedback I have a phantom 3 just for light work and playing around it's a good trainer with little investment, also bought the inspire for better quality later on but it's a lot more intimidating but it's also very graceful and an Osmo for my inside work. But now I have to look into editing equip and not sure how to proceed I thought apple was my best bet since dji software doesn't work the best with android, I need a good starting platform,  become familiar and move up from there. What are your thoughts.

David Corcoran 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, David Corcoran said:

Thanks for your feedback I have a phantom 3 just for light work and playing around it's a good trainer with little investment, also bought the inspire for better quality later on but it's a lot more intimidating but it's also very graceful and an Osmo for my inside work. But now I have to look into editing equip and not sure how to proceed I thought apple was my best bet since dji software doesn't work the best with android, I need a good starting platform,  become familiar and move up from there. What are your thoughts.

David Corcoran 

Personally, I think the Inspire is a bit much for most real estate shoots.  For a large isolated property, yea rock it out.  But when trying to do drone work within a housing development or a condo, the smaller drones are a bit less eye-catching and fit between obstacles a bit easier.  I use a P4A pretty regularly for most projects.

For editing, we primarily used Final Cut PRO (Apple).  It's intuitive, easy to use, and operates efficiently, requiring less system resource tax than others.  Premiere Pro is also on our editor list, but really only when absolutely necessary. 

*** EDIT***

I'd like to add that the past month has been nothing but crash after crash with Premiere Pro.  A quick google search reveals that many are plagued by this nonsense, with no response from Adobe as to a fix or an upcoming update.  This program is a royal pain in the arse for me.

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

Are you using a laptop or tablet for editing

I have an HP with windows 10 and it a nitemare uploading videos sometimes you can't find them and when you do the photo and video software won't let you do much, I even have 2 teenagers in the house that get frustrated with it and they do computer stuff constantly.

David Corcoran 

3 minutes ago, David Corcoran said:

Are you using a laptop or tablet for editing

I have an HP with windows 10 and it a nitemare uploading videos sometimes you can't find them and when you do the photo and video software won't let you do much, I even have 2 teenagers in the house that get frustrated with it and they do computer stuff constantly.

David Corcoran 

Video editing requires a lot of computing power.  We just upgraded our editing machine last winter to a 2017 iMac 5k Retina display with every upgrade available.  As video files become larger, the computers must step up to handle the workload.  I'd suggest you either get a super-computer laptop or jump into desktop editing solutions.

5a9086ce401b6_Screenshot2018-02-2311_25_12.thumb.png.b6d8a79a41bdac6a13ca74c5082c28d6.png

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

Jay will be hosting a show tomorrow night everyone.  Please feel free to drop on by.  Read more about tomorrow night's webinar here https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7447741410847624707  All about picking up gigs in 2018.  Keep in mind that 95% of our gigs are virtual tours and still photos.  We do have two major hotel brands 8000+ hotels asking us about drone packages and pricing so it is coming.  Currently, we have three national accounts that include aerial drone work.  Hope to see you there!

• Like 1