Jason Clark

Video of Superload I recently shot for my Employer

I would appreciate any feedback you guys have. This is the 5th or so project I filmed with the company drone. I got my license last year after training through  dronepilotgroundschool.com. I'm loving the experience so far. I hope to get my own drone soon so I can do freelance work on the side.

• Like 1

Cool truck!  

But I can hear the GPS now -- "recalculating... do a U-turn in 180' turn left on there's no way your going to make it."

Nice video.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The words go by very fast, sometimes too fast to read.  Cute use of parallax, as mentioned before.  I like the 90 degree turn.  But, I'm sure the GPS had a big problem with that turn as mentioned. I have a friend who was a (really) big rig truck driver, now in his 80's, whose main  job was to drive trucks with very huge loads.  Like this one.  He'll like the video, I'm sure.

• Like 1

Premiere Pro CC. I taught myself how to use it after I got the drone. For this particular one, I had to use After Effects for the camera tracking and parallax titles. YouTube has almost been my best friend over the last year. LOL

Good job on the composition and use of speed-up for some dramatic shots. But (yes), too many 360''s around the rig.  I would have shot several of those, and some that complete the move by slowing and stopping on a shot, then transition out to the next.  Now, if you could have flown lower from one end to the other would have been awesome.  Good job!

Nice overview of project, Jason.  I think the 360s kept interest and certainly context clear.  In fact, I noticed I wanted to skip through a good amount of the middle section that simply showed straight-on shots moving down the highway.  With such a "solid" product, even adding 2-3 mini interview-statements from project-involved employees could be cool.  In the interest of, "For what purpose will this be used?"  You might want to use an initial subtitle for each showing.  (Marketing?)  "Taylor...Tackling your gargantuan move with precision and local environmental respect."  Maybe adding voice to the conclusion could "sell" the viewer on "what's next" whether a contract or company pride at a corporate meeting.  You have great options to use this as a foundation for many opportunities.  Go for it!

Great job on your overall production!  You are definitely mastering your skills in flight if this was your starting point!  Question: Were you out all 65-days recording?   

On 11/4/2017 at 4:42 PM, FlyingRaider said:

Great job on your overall production!  You are definitely mastering your skills in flight if this was your starting point!  Question: Were you out all 65-days recording?   

Thank you! This was probably the 4th video I shot and edited. I started with no cinematography experience at all and only a bit of amateur photography experience. I've definitely come a long way, but I still have a ways to go. :)

I was only able to shoot on three occasions. Since this was such a long job and videography is only a small part of my duties, I was only able to film when it was in Tulsa. So of the 4 beams, I shot the first beam at the turn for the first shoot, and then the fourth beam at the turn for the second shoot, and finally, the fourth beam turning into our yard for the third shoot. Those last two shoots were on the same day but several hours apart. The pictures were all taken by my boss. 

On 10/30/2017 at 11:24 AM, Robert Kim said:

Good job on the composition and use of speed-up for some dramatic shots. But (yes), too many 360''s around the rig.  I would have shot several of those, and some that complete the move by slowing and stopping on a shot, then transition out to the next.  Now, if you could have flown lower from one end to the other would have been awesome.  Good job!

Thank you! I was afraid of that. I thought I might have had too many of the 360s. I did quite a bit of trimming to get down to that point, but I should have cut a shot or two more. I did shoot a few lower shots that go down the length of the beam, but none of them looked as good as I had hoped and they took far too long. I tried speeding them up, but of course, then they started to look too jerky and busy. 

On 10/30/2017 at 3:40 PM, AeroKate said:

Nice overview of project, Jason.  I think the 360s kept interest and certainly context clear.  In fact, I noticed I wanted to skip through a good amount of the middle section that simply showed straight-on shots moving down the highway.  With such a "solid" product, even adding 2-3 mini interview-statements from project-involved employees could be cool.  In the interest of, "For what purpose will this be used?"  You might want to use an initial subtitle for each showing.  (Marketing?)  "Taylor...Tackling your gargantuan move with precision and local environmental respect."  Maybe adding voice to the conclusion could "sell" the viewer on "what's next" whether a contract or company pride at a corporate meeting.  You have great options to use this as a foundation for many opportunities.  Go for it!

Thank you! I had thought about using interview statements as a voice over, but many of our employees are uncomfortable with the individual attention. I hadn't considered just doing the voiceover myself, though. That's definitely a good idea for next time.