Steve Bennett

Skyward explains how instant airspace approval will happen

On 10/24/2017 at 2:40 PM, Steve Bennett said:

This recent blog post by skyward shows how they see instant approvals happening.

https://skyward.io/today-laanc-tomorrow-utm

What's great is that it looks like there will be an option for pilots to use the free version of their platform to make these requests. yeah!

So my take from the webinar this afternoon was that the big roll-out will occur April-May of 18 with more airports being added as the FAA releases them. The current participating airport list was expanded to include the Anchorage area and Miami. The current trial is actually working fairly well with a few bugs that are being worked out. Authorization will be short-term (12 hours or less) and will only be issued if you are 90 days or less from time of flight. Longer term authorization will still be through the conventional methods (online portal). Instant approval (they tout seconds) for any airspace that has a posted altitude in the box. Boxes with 0 altitudes nearer to airports will be reviewed by a person and will take longer to receive. Skyward offers a free pilot account that will enable anyone to utilize the service and also an enterprise account for larger corporate users that is not free.

• Like 1

One thing I learned from the webinar is that even if you have a Daylight Operations waiver, you can't couple that with LAANC authorization. A few weird edge cases I hadn't thought about before that were covered well during the webinar.

On 11/10/2017 at 9:03 PM, Alan Perlman said:

One thing I learned from the webinar is that even if you have a Daylight Operations waiver, you can't couple that with LAANC authorization. A few weird edge cases I hadn't thought about before that were covered well during the webinar.

Forgot that. Waiver holders still need to go through the online portal.