• Announcements

Dustin Wise

Class E Airspace Clarification: Paso Robles, CA

Hey guys,  I was recently looking into the neighboring town of Paso Robles, CA (I live in San Luis Obispo).  As we know that magenta circle represents the Class E airspace in Paso Robles, CA which start at the surface for that circle but upon further inspection AirMap's site tells us that it's actually broken into 4 quadrants where the airspace varies for drone operators.  I attached some screenshots or it can be seen looking at Paso Robles, California on AirMap's site.  So is it true that flight is indeed permissable at those heights listed or would you still need FAA authorization.  It could be a situation of AirMap just pulling in facility map data which can give you guidance on what you should / shouldn't ask for in your airspace authorization application.  I figured I'd throw it here for any insight.  Cheers.

Images attached.  

-Dustin

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 1.35.54 PM.png

2 hours ago, Dustin Wise said:

So is it true that flight is indeed permissable at those heights listed or would you still need FAA authorization.

It looks like those lines within the circle are indeed derived from the FAA UAS facility maps and they have simply grouped together the same grid upper limit and of course you will still need to request FAA authorization to fly commercially at or below those limits.

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information.  I guess that's less confusing in retrospect but the wording of permissible to me is initially confusing because to me that means allowed.  For those that are curious on a more thorough understanding of this, here is a response I received from AirMap. 

The altitude restrictions you see for US airports in controlled airspace are simply a guide to use when requesting authorization from the FAA. The FAA may be more likely to approve flights under those stated altitudes. That is why the language (provided directly from the FAA) states the flight is permissible (when authorized) under that altitude, rather than outright permitted. You must still apply for authorization.

As of today, automated authorization through the AirMap app is available at these FAA Prototype airports using the AirMap mobile app. Airports will be added in the future as they are authorized by the FAA.

For all other airports, you must continue to use the traditional process of requesting approval through the FAA Web Portal.
I hope this information helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always available to assist.

Interesting, thanks for posting here. Airmap could do a better job of teaching that right within the app. It's not displayed as well as it could be and leaves too much room for interpretation.

On 12/18/2017 at 6:11 PM, Dustin Wise said:

...here is a response I received from AirMap. 
The altitude restrictions you see for US airports in controlled airspace are simply a guide to use when requesting authorization from the FAA. The FAA may be more likely to approve flights under those stated altitudes. That is why the language (provided directly from the FAA) states the flight is permissible (when authorized) under that altitude, rather than outright permitted. You must still apply for authorization.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always available to assist.

@Dustin Wise Great job forwarding the information from AirMap.  What AirMap has done on their site will confuse everyone out there.  You've done a great thing here by helping to improve our community by making this information available to the rest of us.  Thanks