Hello everyone,

I'm excited to be joining the community.  I'm both new to forums and new to drones.  

I am not; however, new to aviation.  I've got a degree in Aeronautics and worked as an A&P mechanic before I started flight instructing.  I continued on that career path for a few years before I lost my medical certificate.  Currently, I'm in a long and complicated paperwork battle with the FAA to get my medical reinstated...

With all that being said, I'm considering a slight career change from manned aircraft to UAS.  Not sure exactly what direction I want to go with UAS, but I love flying and I love aviation.

I've got my 107 certificate but no drone.

Any advice for a new drone pilot on where to go from here?  

Thanks!  I'm excited to learn!

• Like 1

Welcome to both UAS and the world of forums.  They can both be quite exciting.  

A couple of things you should keep in mind.  

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

With all that being said, I'm considering a slight career change from manned aircraft to UAS.  Not sure exactly what direction I want to go with UAS, but I love flying and I love aviation.

I too am a pilot and love to fly, I’ve been flying for about 35 years.  I don’t really consider UAV’s to be in the “aviation” industry nor do I consider operators “Pilots.”  That’s not to say that your experience in the aviation industry wouldn’t give you a huge competitive advantage in the commercial UAV industry but I think you’ll find that the transition is much more than a slight career change.  

That’s not intended to be a negative statement, I’m just trying to seperate the issue of your love of aviation and your expressed need to make a career change.   If you leverage your experience to become a great operator, like most of the other people on forums, that probably won’t lead to a successful/profitable career in commercial UAV’s.  Although drones can be considered an enabling technology, success in this industry actually has little to do with the drone (product fit) and more to do with application fit.  

That being said, I find that if you leverage your experience correctly you can be successful in the commercial UAS industry and its the combination of your experience and the passion you have for aviation that will set you apart from the majority of people who think this industry is about flying drones. 

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

I’m excited to be joining the community.  I'm both new to forums and new to drones.  

I’d recommend reading several different forums until you can get a sense of the regular contributors and whether you think you can trust the conversations you have with them.   

Just like there is no one size fits all drone, there’s no one size fits all forum.  Most of the forums are targeted at hobbyists who are either DIY or trying to transition to commercial and are generally dominated by “fanboys” of different manufacturers.  

On FaceBook there’s probably as many different forums as there are people in them so it can be challenging to develop the filters you need to get to the information that’s most relevant for you.  

Forums can be a real time suck so it’s important to find a manageable number that can provide timely and meaningful feedback to help you with the exploration of your new career choices.  

Good luck.  As biased as this is, I’d strongly recommend this forum be on your short list...

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply!   

Do you have any recommendations for other helpful forums in the UAS industry?  I definitely want to keep the number of forums I follow to a minimum.

Hey Josh, welcome to the forum! Looking forward to your expertise and to hopefully seeing some of your footage down the road.

Lots of Facebook groups. Lots of forums. Lots of industry newsletters. It can be a bit of a firehose if you subscribe to all of them, but that's what I try to do.

Here are some other leads for you:

https://dronelife.com/2017/06/05/a-guide-to-the-top-drone-forums-and-facebook-groups/

http://thedronegirl.com/2017/04/28/online-drone-communities-worth-joining/

Hope that helps!