JTE

stubborn P4 lens cover

I had to send my P4 in for repair.  I got it back but can't unscrew the lens cover.  I've tried elbow grease, rubber band, and lid removal plastic gizmo - won't budge .  Anybody have any ideas?  I've called DJI Tech Service (Philippines) 4 times but they are clueless.  It wasn't this difficult when I got it new but it's jammed on there good now.  Thank you DJI repair.

This can be tricky, the material is very thin so if you grip it your actually squeezing it tighter onto the thread, try using your palm on the front of the camera and twist. 

You need to grip the lens with out actually squeezing it into the thread. 

I had a similar problem with the P3Pro, I don't have a P4.

It was very difficult to get the original filter off the lens to install ND filters.  As @Mad_Angler1 said the harder to grip the the ring the more difficult it is to get the lens off.

In my case there was a small O-ring that was not installed correctly and was acting like lock tight on the threads.  I ended up carefully heating the bezel and it eventually came off.  I did damage the original lens but once I installed the O-ring correctly I never had any issues with the ND filters.  

Thanks everyone - I took it out of the box (was going to send it back to DJI) and just tried a thick rubber band with no hand pressure.  That did the trick.

so now I have segued to another issue - the drone beeps when I'm flying below 20 feet.  Anyone had this problem before?

1 hour ago, JTE said:

so now I have segued to another issue - the drone beeps when I'm flying below 20 feet.  Anyone had this problem before?

Is the drone beeping, controller or app ? 

The P4 has object avoidance are you not hearing the warning picking up something  in view ? 

Whats the radar showing ? 

The controller is beeping.  I'm flying on the side of my house in an area that I've always flown for test flights.  I wondering if DJI didn't upgrade the sensor object distance on the front or something while they had it.  I'll check the radar after recharging.  

Just try calibrating your RC sticks before you do anything not forgetting the camera tilt knob as well.  

You do this from with in DJI Go, if it’s still beeping try turning off object avoidance and the radar they are two different setting and see if it stops and go from there.  

Usually RC beeping is stick calibration but it could be picking something up from radar but the App usually makes the noises for that not the actual RC.  

Thanks for that - a lot of useful information - much more than I got from DJI that's for sure.  One thing I noticed getting the drone back was the IMU calibration is different now.  You actually tilt the drone on each side then upside down when prompted.  Maybe that will help with the gimbal roll/horizon issue I'm always had with P4s.

Yes this process was updated and changed with the introduction of the Mavic and P4 Pro series and DJI have made it the standard method now.