Spitfire76

2017 DIY Drones Year in Review

Chris is the master of spin but good or bad he has had a remarkable amount of influence on this industry.  

with eHang the latest to leave and most others cutting prices dramatically as DJI's Mavic proves a hit.  (3DR was one of the first to leave the consumer market, last making Solo in 2015, which is a decision I'm happier about every day

To @Av8Chucks point;  not many are proud to be on the leading edge of failure.

CA does seem to have a Teflon suit but he is extremely articulate, intelligent and has the ability to make a difference, regardless of the final success of the product or company it’s hard not to admire both his personal success and what he has managed to achieve even if it did not last. 

I don’t think anyone could not call him a good guy overall, I think he is not a great CEO or business guy though, he needs a Tim Cook type of person like Steve Jobs did later at Apple to make the business end work. 

Edited by Mad_Angler1

@Dave Pitman that’s amazing isn’t it.  In an ill advised move 3DR launches the SOLO head-to-head with the Phantom, gets crushed and then a year later Chris is spinning it like they meant to do that.  

I think Chris deserves a lot of credit for what he and Jordy accomplished in the early days of DIY and 3DR, but so do a lot of people in Ardupilot.  I think what Chris is glossing over is that Ardupilot is continueing to grow in spite of the hardships associated with the failure of the SOLO.  

55 minutes ago, Mad_Angler1 said:

CA does seem to have a Teflon suit but he is extremely articulate, intelligent and has the ability to make a difference, regardless of the final success of the product or company it’s hard not to admire both his personal success and what he has managed to achieve even if it did not last. 

I don’t think anyone could not call him a good guy overall, I think he is not a great CEO or business guy though, he needs a Tim Cook type of person like Steve Jobs did later at Apple to make the business end work. 

Funny you should mention that.  I’m sure your aware of the trouble Apple is getting into in context of the battery issues of the iPhone.  At first it seemed to be glossed over, but now many of its most ardent supporters are really speaking out against and offering alternatives. 

Maybe Tim Cook can get a job at 3DR...

I'm kind of surprised that any Apple FBs are remotely surprised by Apples battery shenanigans as "we know better than you what you want and need" has always been the mantra hasn't it?

Yea they got that wrong, I’m a big Apple guy but why not just put up a warning and state it’s gooing to enter that lower performance mode and sugest getting the battery replace, well that’s how it will go now I guess, not sure how much TC would have know but Apple tend to close down in these situations then wait a bit before deciding their next move. 

But not handled well as many things often are not  

While talking CEOs and sorry for the digression but did anyone see the Intel CEO thing, if anyone has not noticed it appears Most CPUs are affected by this method of pre loading the CPU  and these 2 specific issues that are now known but Intel were pushing it more than the others to gain performance benefits, anyhoo the Intel CEO in November sold every dime of stock he was allowed to and left him self the absolute minimum he was allowed in law to be a ceo, how is this not insider trading ? 

Just something hat caught my eye. 

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/19/intels-ceo-just-sold-a-lot-of-stock.aspx

anyway sorry for the OT can’t type well due to an accident yesterday so I wish all a great weekend.

Edited by Mad_Angler1