Ed O'Grady

Important news re waivers and authorizations

This was posted this morning on the FAA site.

The FAA will be launching the FAA DroneZone on January 6, 2018. The forms on this website will not be available once the FAA's DroneZone Portal launches. The FAA DroneZone requires users to create an account to apply for part 107 operational waivers or request to fly in controlled airspace.

FAA has opened DroneZone, but in fact it's already been there. This is the same area that we all used to register our various drones, whether under 107 or 333 or even when hobbyist registration was mandatory.  Same user name and password gets you in (thank God I figured mine out!). After getting in, the site tells me I have no registered UAV's ( I do) and that I have no airspace authorizations ( I do ) and no waivers ( I do ). For the moment, I will assume they mean no waivers or authorizations done through DroneZone and that would be true. But what about UAV registrations. So far there is no place to enter existing a/c registrations that I can see.  For those who have dealt with Federal Government web sites, this will all seem familiar - who designs this stuff? If past experince is any indicator, those using Apple Safari as a browser may run into trouble.  I was told by FAA that they don't support that browser. What?!  Solution, if having a problem, is to use Google Chrome in that case.  More to follow after I do some work on real websites.

@Ed O'Grady thanks for sharing your experience with this.  I’m so burnt out on trying to figure out the various FAA, associated vendor websites and whose responsible for what part of the process, and government websites in general that I tend to filter out any information regarding them unless it comes from a trusted source.  

I consider part 107 as a really good framework to enable the commercial drone industry but the implementation of it has mostly been one failure after another. The failure in execution isn’t related to the drones, operators, or integration into the NAS but the apparent lack of a cohesive policy integrated into a simple website.  How 1990’s!  

Instead the FAA outsources much of the development of the “system” so now we have a myriad of websites all built by companies with their own agendas around vague policies. I get the sense that this is all going to get worse before it gets better.  

While I’m ranting, the FAA seems to be relying more on the ARC committees and one influential common denominator on many of those committiees is DJI.  How can a company who has been banned by the military for lapses in judgement regarding security policy favor influence on these committees. 

In the FAA the inmates are truly running the asylum. 

FRom the Desert Rose Band...

One step forward and two steps back 
Nobody gets too far like that 
One step forward and two steps back 
This kind of dance can never last

Founded by Chris Hillman (formerly of the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers) along with Herb Pedersen and John Jorgenson in 1985.  Showing my music roots here!