Hi,

My name is Bob, I'm from the UK and have been looking at the Drone industry for a while and I am interestedf from a work and pleasure perspective.

1. Work. -  My job involves surveying propery of all natures, buildings Civil engineering projects etc., and a lot of the time they are high rise and there are areas of projects not easily accessable.

So a drone would make a very useful tool to my tool kit where I can access and visually inspect areas much easier than otherwise would be the case. So thats the work element in brief.

2. Pleasure - It appears obvious to me that one can gain a lot of pleasure and interest out of flying a drone in whatever capacity one chooses. Obviousely to be done in the right way, i.e. observation of all safety rules and regulations etc.,

So,  I have not purchased a drone as yet and have no experience of flying one. I with any subject prefer to spend some time stuying it and once feeling comfortable with it Jump in.

If anone can offer words of advice i would be appreciateive of any pointers.

Thanks and regards to everyone.

Bob.

21 hours ago, Robert Gronow said:

So,  I have not purchased a drone as yet and have no experience of flying one. I with any subject prefer to spend some time studying it and once feeling comfortable with it Jump in.

If anone can offer words of advice i would be appreciateive of any pointers.

Thanks and regards to everyone.

Bob.

Good method to your madness. Get licensed first to fly and continue researching the drones you would be interested in (and can afford) that could possibly fulfill the role you intend to use it for. DJI is probably the most readily available but the most problematic to fly. Yuneec makes a great product as do a few others.

Next think about the camera. Precise work calls for a good camera. For general mapping purposes the absolute minimum would be a 12 megapixel camera which will do the job roughly at less than 120 ft AGL. A better choice would be something in the range of 20 megapixels or you could always design a system around a Sony A7Rii if you can afford it.

Pixel count equates to image detail and also allows you to fly at a higher altitude capturing more data per picture and covering more ground which decreases flight time or increases area covered per battery. The newer units fly with a dual-battery setup that may give 25 minutes of flight time under ideal temperatures and battery condition. Single battery aircraft (DJI) can be reasonably be expected to fly about 15 minutes per battery. Batteries run (for my aircraft) roughly $200US each (although I did just purchase 5 TB48 5700 mAh batteries with my government discount for $832 US). I fly small to medium sized job sites (2-47 acres). I have six batteries on hand with five more shipping.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased a higher end UAS and paid the price up front instead of my current situation which is now trying to justify purchasing a $20,000 US aircraft to do the job that my $3,000 US aircraft does. Bottom line: take your time and be able to justify your decision before you leap blindly or at least half-cocked into the UAS business. Identify your needs for the service you intend to provide and then find an airframe that will cover those expectations. Also build some redundancy into you needs. Think strategically five years ahead of what you not only need at the moment but what you need to cover other possible aspects of a project (IR roof inspection as an example).

• Like 2