Tom Leonard

Educational pilot needed for middle school/high school

Dear Pilots,

We are launching an educational UAV course for MS/HS students in the NY metro region. We need a commercial drone pilot who will teach flying skills to the school teacher/students. You will work both in a classroom, gym and school grounds to instruct basic skills. In addition you will have option to teach industry applications as many students may want to consider a career in the commercial industry.

Pay will be negotiable.

Good luck with your program.

We've been doing that here in California for the last three years.  Before the introduction of 107 most of the instruction was STEM related with little hands on experience.  Surprisingly after 107 the class morphed into two parts, teaching students to pass the 107 with considerably more hands on primary flight training and a more application specific curriculum of using drone in industry. 

Its easy to see how this will extend into more about remote sensing and the sorts of problems that can help solve.  Its challenging to find the right balance, high school students get bored really quickly...

On 2/6/2018 at 2:32 PM, Tom Leonard said:

Dear Pilots,

We are launching an educational UAV course for MS/HS students in the NY metro region. We need a commercial drone pilot who will teach flying skills to the school teacher/students. You will work both in a classroom, gym and school grounds to instruct basic skills. In addition you will have option to teach industry applications as many students may want to consider a career in the commercial industry.

Pay will be negotiable.

Hi Tom.  I’m recently retired and I’m in the process of starting up my drone services business in the NY Hudson Valley area (Orange County NY).  I have my Part 107 Remote Pilots license.  As a father of three children and grandfather to two grandchildren I enjoy teaching kids new skills.  I’d like to get more information about the UAV course for MS/HS students in the NY Metro region. 

Kevin, Nice. I may be teaming up to bring Jim Barnes Drone Academy curriculum to schools, so I will be in touch when we discuss. We will be building a team of instructors!

Tom

My Industry credential application already submitted to Ohio Dept of Education. Hope to hear the good news in Spring '18. 

I can start my drone classroom with the IC then move the full blown curriculum for 12 graduation points for SY '19-20.