Sign in to follow this  
JBgroovesUAV

Research before execution

Hello all,

JB here in Cali, the South Bay. I am a total beginner, to both Drones and video photography, but opportunity is looking at me in the face so I better say hello. Two models, each have some features I wish the other had too the MAVIC pro platinum or the Phantom 4 pro what do you think is the one to get? Am I missing out on a better drone for the job, what do you suggest?

Opportunity think high end real estate, also agricultural and inspection uses but mostly outdoor and indoor  private events, so adaptability of equipment is a consideration, and size and noise might be an issue, so might low light levels, I can see cool uses of terrain following ability, I'm a novice so ease of use in both flight and camera a must, and I'm lazy so size and weight of drone and extra gear also a consideration.

I'm here to learn how to do the work smarter not harder, help me out please.

Hi @JBgroovesUAV, welcome to the forum.  You may want to work smarter not harder but with drones it’s about working safer which in the beginning will require you to do both. Everyone will have an opinion on which drone is better, this is a forum. That and 15 minutes will save you 15% on your insurance..

8 hours ago, JBgroovesUAV said:

Opportunity think high end real estate, also agricultural and inspection

Depends on how you difine high end, for a higher end look the P4 is a better choice, the MAVIC has a terrible camera. Neither works well in low light.

8 hours ago, JBgroovesUAV said:

and indoor  private events,

The idea of flying indoors potientially around people professionally is a bit unrealistic.  Indoors can mean a lot of things, you’d get better advice if you elaborated a bit on what your trying to accomplish. 

You'd probably be better served by a MACIC Air until you have enough experience to make a more informed decision.  Neither of the MAVIC’s would be accurate enough for industrial inspection. 

I'm aware of how a forum works, that everyone will have an opinion, and some an attitude, but there may be one or two out there that will provide insight  you can't get elsewhere.

You let me worry about filtering out the self indulgent bs some call helpful. I'm pretty good at it been doing it for years. You never know how useful seemingly random bits information suspended in everyones "opinion" might become, that is until it does. That's why I'm here isn't it.    

Flight practice drone is ordered, legal issues under review, insurance under consideration, as well as llc formation. I don't walk in to anything blind, this ain't my first rodeo. 

Let me elaborate indoors would either be in a venue with 100+ foot ceilings, and at no time would I be flying over people, or through a crowd. These are establishing a setting, providing a bit of drama to a story line. Other indoor shots would be sans people, with various room size and light conditions, basic real estate shots.

Easy quick change camera, and battery packs, advanced, and upgradable software, powerful, smooth operation of both flight an data transfer. The best machine to perform all tasks well, not some great and others poorly, for less than 2k as a starter benchmark.

2 hours ago, JBgroovesUAV said:

Easy quick change camera, and battery packs, advanced, and upgradable software, powerful, smooth operation of both flight an data transfer. The best machine to perform all tasks well, not some great and others poorly, for less than 2k as a starter benchmark.

P4P, Yuneec Typhoon H or possibly a Parrot BeBop 2 though I would look at it really hard before pulling the trigger. For under 2K you are not going to find a great camera....probably around 12 MP at best which should be fine to start. DJI has reliable products for the most part but they have some software/app issues that are undesirable. Best case would be the Typhoon if it meets your requirements. A P4P if not.

Look at Autel's X-Star Premium too.

Edited by R Martin
Added Autel