ArchAngel

Drones with up to 2 hours of flight wo a charge

Here's a interesting good one for the team.  I have a bid for a contract that part of the requirement of the contract is that the company provide a on call drone for emergency services that is CFR Part 107 compliant (55 lbs max) but that has a continuous flight time of up to 2 hours without landing or recharging batteries.  Need some help from the crew out there.  They also want the drone to have IR and Night Vision capability.  It is a government bid and they say they will obtain all the required waivers.  Any one know of what Drone systems would fly for 2 hours at a time and is Part 107 complaint?  

We have two hybrid drones that can fly 5 pounds for 75 minutes and 10 pounds for ~2:30 minutes and you can put whatever payload you’d like.

1 hour ago, ArchAngel said:

Here's a interesting good one for the team.  I have a bid for a contract that part of the requirement of the contract is that the company provide a on call drone for emergency services that is CFR Part 107 compliant (55 lbs max) but that has a continuous flight time of up to 2 hours without landing or recharging batteries.  Need some help from the crew out there.  They also want the drone to have IR and Night Vision capability.  It is a government bid and they say they will obtain all the required waivers.  Any one know of what Drone systems would fly for 2 hours at a time and is Part 107 complaint?  

Perhaps a tethered setup?

Edited by Dave Pitman

On 2/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, ArchAngel said:

continuous flight time of up to 2 hours without landing or recharging batteries

To get that length of flight duration you might want to look at a fixed wing solution. I don't own one of these so I can't say how good it is.........

https://www.autelrobotics.com/kestrel

17 minutes ago, Dave Pitman said:

Is the Kestrel a concept?  There isn't much info about it on that page and nothing in their store.

Although Autel have produced some decent multi-rotor drones in the past with the X-Star they do have a tendency to announce new products at a CES and nothing comes of it. It looks like the Kestrel was announced at CES 2016 and last year they announced new cameras for the X-Star that were never produced. I hope that's not the case with the Evo that they announced at this year's CES. I was really only using the Kestrel as an example of a fixed wing drone for @ArchAngel requirement of a 2 hour flight duration.

1 hour ago, Dave Pitman said:

Well, it looks like a nice concept.  Too bad it is vaporware currently.

Maybe these guys are a bit further ahead with their Edge platform. 

https://www.flightwave.aero

Looks like they also plan on selling a drone powered with a hydrogen cell to get up to 2 hours flight duration. 

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Pitman said:

Well, it looks like a nice concept.  Too bad it is vaporware currently.

It’s been vaporware for three years.  I also blog they OEM’d it.  

14 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

It’s been vaporware for three years.  I also blog they OEM’d it.  

Looks like you are correct in that Autelrobotics are not the original manufacture of the Kestrel and were planing on reselling this company's drones.

https://www.suasnews.com/2017/10/quantum-systems-releases-trinity-uav/

https://www.quantum-systems.com

Edited by Spitfire76

Guys it appears there isn't a quadcopter that comes close to 2 hours of flight time, I will need to go fixed wing with the models folks have listed here.

Our Y6 flies for approximately 2.5 hours with a 10 pound payload.  If you replace payload with fuel you’ll get almost double the flight time.  It’s not for sale quite yet, should be showing it at AUVSI in Denver.  

3 hours ago, ArchAngel said:

thank you Spitfire76

You are welcome but I don't know if the Wingtra will operate for up to 2 hours but you could of course contact them. I believe this is one of the guys behind its development and although its a couple of years old this Ted Talk is interesting.

Edited by Spitfire76

On 2/12/2018 at 8:15 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Our Y6 flies for approximately 2.5 hours with a 10 pound payload.  If you replace payload with fuel you’ll get almost double the flight time.  It’s not for sale quite yet, should be showing it at AUVSI in Denver.  

Is this the AUVSI event ?

http://www.auvsi.org/xbuild