Roger Davis

Where in LA Area (San Pedro / Whittier) can I fly?

I just got a Hubsan X4 502S, but finding a good place to fly it in the L A area (San Pedro and Whittier especially desired) seems difficult.  The local park has large areas with no people most of the time, but I'm unsure of legality.  It's a long ways from any airports.  I really don't want to drive 20 or 30 miles in city traffic to fly.  This is a hobby, no business involved.  I might could get a professional license if that would help me.

Among the needed info : 
- Altitude limit = 400 ft above terrain or buildings, etc.
- How far out from launch can I fly?  Limited to field size, or line of sight (there are mods that allow VERY long range that I haven’t' done), or just not over roads, people, 5 miles of airports, etc.?
- How strict is enforcement as to flying location, distance, etc.  I can imagine that in the middle of the desert, no one would likely care, but if I miss the parameters a bit (but not the critical points above) in the launch areas here, what can I expect?

Can you offer any information?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey @Roger Davis, what local park or parks do you have in mind?

I'm not too familiar with the particular airspace in either San Pedro or Whittier and will have to do a bit of research. Much easier for me to check by location, and then to work backwards to explain why you can or can't fly in that location and to teach you a bit about the rules that way.

So can you provide 2-3 locations for me to look up? I'll be using a combination of AirMap and VFRMap to help explain.

Thanks!

The best place to find that answer is probably the AMA.  If your not flying commercially you don’t need to be 107 and you have a lot more options to fly if you follow the guidelines on the AMA website.  

We have several parks near us, if I’m going to fly a Phantom or MAVIC I just fly as a hobbyists. Occasionally I’ll have some guy who used to be the hall monitor in high school will ask what I’m doing.  If they’re that stupid that they have to ask I pretty much ignore them and if they persist I just leave.  

If your just enjoying yourself its probably a bad idea to tell anyone you have a 107.  This is a pretty typical sign you find at a lot of parks. It’s not legal to state that RC is permitted in designated areas or time without posting when and where.  

AE71DB63-E078-4B20-9559-398644E65476.jpeg

1 hour ago, Alan Perlman said:

Hey @Roger Davis, what local park or parks do you have in mind?

I'm not too familiar with the particular airspace in either San Pedro or Whittier and will have to do a bit of research. Much easier for me to check by location, and then to work backwards to explain why you can or can't fly in that location and to teach you a bit about the rules that way.

So can you provide 2-3 locations for me to look up? I'll be using a combination of AirMap and VFRMap to help explain.

Thanks!

Generally any park in the L.A. County area, but I've talked to one (Field of Dreams, San Pedro).  They say flying is against the law in L.A. County.  Another park with wide open spaces is Friendship park in San Pedro.  Others are the area bounded by MaryMount hiking trail and Palos Verdes Dr. E. (don't know what this area is, but has the hiking trail...), La 'Bonita Park in La Habra, La Mirada Park, La Mirada ... I'm just looking at Google Earth for most of these places, near where I am from time to time.,