BrentMackay

Selfie Drone Advice ?

I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to give me your recommendations for the following:

What "Selfie Drone" would you recommend ?

My "Wants" are:
1.)  Inexpensive
2.)  As Small As Possible
3.)  Pictures Saved To My Phone and Not To An SD Card That Has To Be Downloded (If There Is One That Does That ?)

Do you know of any Selfie Drones that would fit the bill ?

1 hour ago, BrentMackay said:

I don't have one of these (yet) but thought it might be what you are looking for....checkout FliteTest's reviews in this post.

Edited by Spitfire76

Love that the Tello is programmable. Great for STEM use and likely a lot more durable than some of the other sub-$100 options out there.

• Like 1

Yes I was thinking exactly the same thing as Alan.  The Tello is your drone. It has excellent flight stability.  Stores video and pictures directly to your phone no SD cards.   

The flight time for the drone is also really good for the price.

DroneBlocks has an app on the App Store too that you can program the drone to complete simple or complex flight missions using logic blocks 

On 3/29/2018 at 12:38 PM, BrentMackay said:
I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to give me your recommendations for the following:

What "Selfie Drone" would you recommend ?

My "Wants" are:
1.)  Inexpensive
2.)  As Small As Possible
3.)  Pictures Saved To My Phone and Not To An SD Card That Has To Be Downloded (If There Is One That Does That ?)

Spitfire76 is correct. Check out the Tello. It does everything on your list. Pictures aren’t great, but just OK. I wish the gimbal was tiltable, but it is quite stable indoors and even outdoors (assuming there is essentially no wind). 

YUNEEC Breeze is a good one. Small, portable, Takes 4K pictures and videos too. it's props fold up to a smaller dimension. It steams all pictures and footage straight to your phone. I Have it's big brother the Typhoon H with the intel realsense and it is amazing. YUNEEC is a good brand and I have no Problems with them. (In this video they price it at 399$ but you can get it at walmart or amazon for 150$)

On 4/7/2018 at 11:27 AM, Alan Perlman said:

Love that the Tello is programmable. Great for STEM use and likely a lot more durable than some of the other sub-$100 options out there.

Yes haha! I've seen a video of it that a Tello drone is programmed to mimic a cat's 'meow' after it flips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just got the Breeze. It's is really small and portable, I carry it in around in my backpack. You can get a controller for it also for around 40$. I got it at Walmart for 150$ plus I got 2 batteries for 40$ It have GPS, so it won't blow away in light to medium winds. I say it was a good buy.

23 hours ago, Lauren Holloway said:

Yes haha! I've seen a video of it that a Tello drone is programmed to mimic a cat's 'meow' after it flips.

i've seen it too. it's somehow impressive & entertaining at the same time lol.

4 hours ago, ryanolivas said:

i've seen it too. it's somehow impressive & entertaining at the same time lol.

It will be mostly to those who have programming background. It's nice to see how drones get adaptive from time to time :)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 5:25 PM, Lauren Holloway said:

It will be mostly to those who have programming background. It's nice to see how drones get adaptive from time to time :)

i think its basically just python language. anyone can learn it. but it takes a dedicated person to be good at it. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 12:49 PM, ryanolivas said:

i think its basically just python language. anyone can learn it. but it takes a dedicated person to be good at it. 

yeah anyone can learn it... For yearsss

2 hours ago, Eric Morgan said:

Well, it depends on the person how dedicated he is. But the simplicity of the drone is not that hard to train yourself with I believe.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:43 PM, Eric Morgan said:

months maybe but not years. if you're truly dedicated and passionate, you probably might finish it in days...

Programming the Tello is pretty straightforward.  You can use Scratch combined with an API provided by Ryze.  Once you have everything installed, you can create "programs" by dragging and dropping blocks.  My 7 yo uses Scratch in her computer class at school and was actually able to create simple Tello programs.  The challenge is that the drone is not nearly as precise as some other ground-based vehicles -- getting accurate repeatable performance is a challenge.  Nevertheless, it is still a fun distraction.

I am going to attempt to include a screenshot of the development environment.

TelloProgramming.png

• Like 2

In the event that anyone is interested in programming Tello with Scratch... Ryze has published a PDF that walks you through what you need to install and what you need to do to make it all work. Sorry, probably should have tossed that into my previous reply.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:21 PM, Paul7of8 said:

Programming the Tello is pretty straightforward.  You can use Scratch combined with an API provided by Ryze.  Once you have everything installed, you can create "programs" by dragging and dropping blocks.  My 7 yo uses Scratch in her computer class at school and was actually able to create simple Tello programs.  The challenge is that the drone is not nearly as precise as some other ground-based vehicles -- getting accurate repeatable performance is a challenge.  Nevertheless, it is still a fun distraction.

I am going to attempt to include a screenshot of the development environment.

TelloProgramming.png

this is actually just a basic algorithm(Flow chart). is there any software that you could write codes and implement it into the drone? 

Actually, you can drag-and-drop these blocks to create more complicated programs.  The screenshot I included only shows the Tello-specific functions.  There are, however, other, more traditional, programming constructs (i.e. for loops, if-then-else) that you can include -- you would find those in the other sections (i.e. Events, Control, Sensing, ...).  Think of it as drag-and-drop programming.

From what I have seen so far, you can only send commands to the drone.  I have not seen any mechanism to query the drone's sensors or get feedback from the drone (i.e. "maneuver completed").

For a toy drone I think it is pretty good.  After several attempts we were able to successfully have the drone take off and fly a pre-defined route around the kitchen and living room -- complete with changes in altitude and orientation.  Once saved, so long as you take off from the same position and orientation, the flight path is pretty repeatable, but certainly not perfect.

My kids enjoy seeing the physical connection -- In the code I tell the drone to take off and then rotate and then I actually see it take off and rotate. 😀

Edited by Paul7of8

Get a DJI Spark. The Quick Shot features are awesome. A selfie with a drone is called a dronie by the way. I know it records to a SD card; but, you can download to your smartphone as well. I like to keep two recordings should I have an issue with the SD card or phone after downloading. Also, it has palm launch. I only buy DJI products; so, #BuyDJI .. thanks! I'm not a paid sponsor of DJI; but, they are welcome to send me free products for testing purposes of course. Get the Tello as it is also a DJI product and cost is minimal as far as how drones go.

Edited by T2DP