Ed O'Grady

Recurrent test ??

Anyone have any clue yet as to what we do about this?? Mine is due up on 30 Aug.

• Valid for 2 years – certificate holders must pass a recurrent knowledge test every two years

I was able to find this from FAA

• The FAA acknowledges, however, the burden associated with in-person testing every two years. As such, the FAA intends to look at (in the Operations of Small      Unmanned Aircraft Over People rule) alternative methods to further reduce this burden without sacrificing the safety benefits afforded by a two-year recurrent knowledge check.

I will TRY to call FSDO ATL tomorrow but I doubt I will get an answer - not sure FAA has made a decision.

Edited by Ed O'Grady

I did place a call to an inspector at FSDO ATL on Friday but nobody home.  Long weekend but did get a call back today.  He double checked but bottom line is no answer.  They hold a weekly teleconference on Thursdays with Washington and he will bring it up.  If he gets any news he will let me know.

@Spitfire76, I don't believe that's anything new. The areas to be covered have been defined and the procedure for Part 61 Certificate holders  has also been defined.  The question is about Part 107 Certificate holders who DO NOT hold a Part 61 certificate.  BTW, the Part 61 holder must be current as well.  I may hear something late tomorrow or early Friday but only if my contact gets an answer in tomorrow's teleconference.  He currently does not think that decisions have been made as yet.

3 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

I don't believe that's anything new.

The FAA just updated their ACS standards today to include more info about the recurrent testing process. Happy to answer any questions if you have them. We'll be sending out a note to our students in a few weeks once we've finished mapping our modules / lessons to each of the items up for the recurrent test.

• Like 1

We both were posting at the same time but you had the news!  And it's bad news in my opinion.  I predicted almost a year ago that if the FAA required recurrent testing at test sites requiring another $150 that I believed that many folks will not retest.  They will just continue on since there is no enforcement action what so ever!  And we will probably never know the real numbers involved.  Thanks very much Alan for getting the "scoop".

• Like 1

I'd prefer a flight check / operations check by an sUAS-rated CFI over another multiple-choice test any day of the week. Wonder if we'll ever head in that direction.

@Spitfire76, my apologies to you.  You were right on the money and I just never read the article in the link that you posted!  You had the scoop all along.  @Alan Perlman, you said you would prefer a flight check/ops check.  I think you know the odds of that happening!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 5:28 PM, Alan Perlman said:

No specifics on # of questions, but I'm thinking it'll be 40 or 50 based on the 90 vs. 120 minute test appointment time.

I'll take a bet that it will be 45 questions as they might simply keep to the 2 mins per question allocation.

Although I did not speak to a live person, I checked the CATS website and there is no indication of this upcoming test.  May take a few weeks for them to get the scheduling up and running.

51 minutes ago, Ed O'Grady said:

Although I did not speak to a live person, I checked the CATS website and there is no indication of this upcoming test.  May take a few weeks for them to get the scheduling up and running.

I noticed this updated ACS does no go into effect until June 11th as its open to comments so maybe we won't see much before then.

"This ACS is available for download from www.faa.gov. Please send comments regarding this document using the following link to the Airman Testing Branch Mailbox. Material in FAA-S-ACS-10A will be effective June 11, 2018"

Edited by Spitfire76

Just checked with CATS/PSI regarding the recurrent test.  The FAA test code is UGR (not UGA-thats the original test) and CATS is not as yet taking registrations for it.