Hi fellow pilots,

I'm excited to get started with this community and get to know y'all. If the previous sentence didn't clue ya in too much, I'm from and am currently living in Texas. I flew Army helicopters for just shy of a decade and got into drone piloting because I love gadgets and technology and am embracing the chance to stay in the air while simultaneously relaxing on the ground. I got certified because I want more opportunities to fly and want to see my contributions within the drone community benefit as many walks of life as I can reach. I don't know a lot about the professional/commercial side of UAS, but am diving in as deep as I can manage. I can't wait to see where all drones are currently being used that I hadn't thought of, how to integrate drones into more areas, and how to make myself a better pilot. From hobbyists to experts, I look forward to hearing from y'all!

Wishing all y'all clear skies and calm winds! Good to meet ya.

~Rob

Where in Texas?  

I spent the last two years of my time in the Army flying Uh-1’s at Fort hood in the CAP 6th ACCB.  

Operating drones is nothing like flying a helicopter but I love all things aviation and like you trying to figure out how to use UAV’s to make a difference.  

Welcome to the forum.

@Av8Chuck , I'm currently in San Antonio. Small world, I flew UH-60's at Fort Hood with 1st Air Cavalry Brigade, 3rd Btn. I agree, it's a totally different world but still one I greatly enjoy. I can see a world of advantages for sUAS versus traditional manned systems, but there is no replacing a manned helicopter in many situations.

I'm glad I found this forum and am looking forward to getting to know y'all.

Edited by Hawk2DroneDriver

@Av8Chuck, and @Hawk2DroneDriver. I'd like to thank you both for serving our country. I have great respect to you guy's who give up a lot to fight and serve those you don't know. My deepest gratitude. I salute you guy's. I thought about going into the army and becoming a helicopter pilot. I got my hands on a drone first and found a nice girl to keep me here, on the ground. Not that's where I always want to be. Anyways, Thank you both and safe flying ! whatever it is.

I'd like to say that I joined the Army for all of the reasons that people seem to ascribe to our service but the truth is I just needed to change my life and I thought the Army would do that.

It certainly did, but not how I thought it would at the time.  It wasn't until much later after getting out of the Army that I began to realize how profound the change had been.

I'd like to say I meant to do that.  I'd like to take credit for all the kind words people write about veterans.  But I don't.  It was just something I did then.  Absolutely loved it, I'd certainly do it again of I had the chance.  It provided a lifetime of funny stories. 

Beside, I got to travel to foreign lands, meet new people and kill them.. 

I never said the Army gave me a good sense of humor...  

Well, I still respect you guy's for whatever reason it was that you enlisted. you still had to leave your families and friends. I couldn't do that. I have a brother in law that join the marines, but he hates it. He's not a person that likes to be told what to do. I don't even know why he joined. But I'm still thankful  for him and thank him for his service.