Was listening to this last night. I enjoyed Jason Calacanis' book, Angel and have been listening to a lot of his episodes recently. Skydio's hypothesis and approach are interesting. I wish I could snap my fingers to see where this is all going. Need some time to evaluate their technology to understand how much better it is than what's out there / where I think it could be used outside of rock climbing, snowboarding, etc. Given how bad GoPro is doing right now, I wouldn't want to mimic their model and market approach. Curious what other use cases emerge and how they'll continue to justify the high price point.

1 hour ago, Alan Perlman said:

I enjoyed Jason Calacanis' book, Angel and have been listening to a lot of his episodes recently.

I haven't purchased Jason's book yet but This week in startups is one of my favorite podcasts. 

5 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

I haven't purchased Jason's book yet but This week in startups is one of my favorite podcasts. 

Mine too. What else do you listen to? I like Pat Flynn's SPI podcast. I like Tim Ferriss and Mark Maron for their long-form interviews.

2 minutes ago, Alan Perlman said:

Mine too. What else do you listen to? I like Pat Flynn's SPI podcast. I like Tim Ferriss and Mark Maron for their long-form interviews.

All my others are more drone related.

A recent firmware update to their R1 now makes it follow vehicles 

1479932728445-v0ch3x?e=1527775200&v=beta

Edited by Spitfire76

Hey @Spitfire76, your image / link doesn't seem to be loading.

Here's an article I was reading this morning: https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/30/skydios-self-flying-drone-can-now-track-down-cars/

Love the autonomous tech and future implications behind Skydio, but following people and cars? Not a compelling marketing strategy / positioning.

I'm a huge fan of their team and technology and hope they can find product / market fit. What's happening behind the scenes is quite remarkable compared to everything else on the market.

But in the meantime, the price point and use cases being shared aren't doing anything for me. Waiting for them to find traction and don't think it's going to be with consumers.

3 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

Love the autonomous tech and future implications behind Skydio, but following people and cars? Not a compelling marketing strategy / positioning.

I agree and it takes the fun out of flying but like you I do admire their technology. Here is a repost of the link.

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1

Gary's guest on his weekly "Drone Stuff This Week" is Kyle from Skydio. The R1 has a temporary price drop from $2500 to $1999 for Father's day so I must let my kids know :)

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1