Alan Perlman

Search and Rescue Drones | How To Make It Work

Loved this post from Flight Evolved:

http://flight-evolved.com/search-and-rescue-drones/

Excerpt:

There are several things that make a search and rescue job different from the industrial inspection, mapping, and videography jobs we normally do. In our discussions we came up with three UAV types that should be considered for search and rescue drone operations. We ranked each platform on a set of characteristics that we consider the vital considerations for search and rescue drones.

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing Alan this is something that I have been considering to offer to my local Fire and Rescue but need the XT ....:(

• Like 1

I have discovered that when calling the FAA about government contracts, they become very silent. And you come to realize that when flying for fun or related to a business, sometimes, people forget about safety, theirs and others on the ground. Keeping in mind the basic rules that the FAA has imposed, when you work for government request, the safety factor is heightened. Here are some examples, Car accident, the road on which the accident took place is closed by law enforcement, so if there is a drone mishap the only damage occurs to the drone and the ground. Emergency management, after a hurricane, send in the drone to check damage to structures and roadways. Once again, the general public is not present. Safety, safety, safety 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2016 at 2:15 PM, Alan Perlman said:

Loved this post from Flight Evolved:

http://flight-evolved.com/search-and-rescue-drones/

Excerpt:

There are several things that make a search and rescue job different from the industrial inspection, mapping, and videography jobs we normally do. In our discussions we came up with three UAV types that should be considered for search and rescue drone operations. We ranked each platform on a set of characteristics that we consider the vital considerations for search and rescue drones.

There are so many manufacturers of military grade RPAS that don't get the spotlight because they don't need to.  I've been on the research trail for the last 5 years looking for a versatile platform for SAR.  I'm in law enforcement and land searches in difficult terrain is something I am very familiar with.  I would highly recommend anyone seriously looking at a platform for SAR to look into Draganflyer.  Draganflyer have been building and perfecting their multirotors for 17 plus years.  Their Commander unit, recently released, would be my choice by far.

• Like 2

I think all cities should have an experienced pilot ready with a S&R on standby.  Does it necessarily have to be law enforcement?  That would certainly be out of budget for lots of small towns.  Hopefully, they can work alongside passionate pilots who are civilians with the right equipment.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2016 at 9:29 PM, Alan Perlman said:

Have heard great things about Draganflyer @Merlin. Thanks for sharing.

For those of you too lazy to search... :)

http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicopter/draganflyer-commander/index.php

Anyone knows what the basic Draganfly model goes for? Just a guess, $5k 10k, 50k...

I am speaking to my county's police chiefs on April 19, a friendly audience ( I'm a retired chief) on the capabilities of modern UAVs and tips for their cops on how to respond to "drone" complaints and what documentation to ask for. I will have a display of my DJI Phantom 3 Pro and Inspire 1 Pro (hate that name, why couldn' it be the Warrior, the Centurion, the Flying Deathhead.... "Inspire" sounds too Zen-like for a bunch of old cops, but I digress...) so the chiefs can see a sampling of what's available. I'm hoping to convince at least one chief to pursue a public COA and get his/her department airborne so others can follow.

• Like 2

Thanks Alan. I'd like to have some numbers in advance to anticipate questions.

Every time I say Phantom out loud  my mind envisions an F-4, black smoke pouring out those two J79s rolling into a bomb run over the dense jungle...but when I say Inspire out loud my mind goes to a forest full of rainbows and unicorns:/

• Like 2

Hahaha "too zen" xDxD When it comes to SAR if you are familiar with the DJI platform (Wich I think is one of the most usser friendly) You should try with a Matrice 100 or 600.

• Like 1

I'm new to all this.not really sure what is all out there in play but could a small speaker BE placed on a drone and used in forest fire rescue... 14 lost lives in tenn.with the latest fires and a bird's eye view of the only way out and a speaker on the drone so you can give warning..... again new to all this some of you thats been in this awhile would know if that would be helpful. 

3 hours ago, BAMANUT said:

I'm new to all this.not really sure what is all out there in play but could a small speaker BE placed on a drone and used in forest fire rescue... 14 lost lives in tenn.with the latest fires and a bird's eye view of the only way out and a speaker on the drone so you can give warning..... again new to all this some of you thats been in this awhile would know if that would be helpful. 

Interesting idea, @BAMANUT. I'm too well-versed in speaker technology, but wouldn't that small speaker need to be incredibly loud to get anyone's attention? Particularly if most people are going to be indoors, watching TV or taking a shower or something. Not sure how practical this idea is, but like where your head is at. #dronesforgood

Would be easy to add a 100 db siren to the drone land out front of the home sound the  siren once the door opens start the EMERGENCY  BROADCAST....

On 1/23/2016 at 10:29 PM, Alan Perlman said:

Have heard great things about Draganflyer @Merlin. Thanks for sharing.

For those of you too lazy to search... :)

http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicopter/draganflyer-commander/index.php

I received a quote from Lockheed Martin for their Indago 2 UAV (http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/procerus/indago-uas.html) with a 40x zoom payload. A tidy sum of $85K. Not unlike throwing a Corvette out of an airplane. Needless to say it was a tad out of our budget. Sweet unit though.

Edited by Droning On
  • Like 1

We have done a lot with first responders, probably more than most drone manufacturers.  But we decided to not continue our support because of their business model.  In CA they are generally funded by state, local and federal grants.  Your ability to win business is not so much about having the right solution.

Don't get me wrong, we have a great relationship with the people who had the hands on need.  We worked major wildfires, search and rescue, radiological and biomedical hazards entering harbors, but you have to be a large DoD contractor to win enough business to provide serious solutions.

Our drones are easy to reconfigure to meet the needs of most missions, can fly 36lbs AUW for about 30 minutes, we have integrated camera systems with zoom lenses that can provide a very good standoff capability and we're no where near the $50K to $85K of the systems mentioned.

we had a great time working with first responders and learned a ton of great things that we've been able to incorporate into our products.  

Here's a video of a bomb on a boat scenario in the LA Harbor and working with LA City and County FD to detect nuclear material smuggled into a navy base on a ship.

We did this sort of thing for two years and had a lot of fun.

_D6A5335-Edit.jpg

• Like 2