Brian

My pretty good, mostly DJI, DIY, UAV

12 hours ago, Brian said:

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for asking. The features are hat I can take pictures with this drone. It has a small fixed camera that I use as a first person view  (FPV) perspective when I fly it. Then I have a GoPro 4 mounted on a gimble (DJI Zenmuse H4-3D) that I can tilt up and down to capture the best shot. I can switch between the cameras with a switch on my radio. The video is streamed to a monitor (Black Pearl) fixed to the radio by a transmitter on the drone (DJI AVL 58). Then there is an on screen display that superimposes telemetry to the video screen (DJI iOSD Mark II). This tells me lots of information about where the drone is, the status of the battery, how far away it is, etc. it also has folding arms and retracting landing gear that allows me to carry it in a Pelican gun case.

12 hours ago, Brian said:

Here are some photos. Note, the previous photos in this thread was a design I abondonded because it was too unstable. This design works much better.

97B059D0-B1BB-46D5-B592-0FD6389E894D.jpeg

FA345C8F-67B6-442B-8141-0D3C4565F3AE.jpeg

whoaaaa that's an incredible build :D and i do agree the first picture is a much more neat design. is that a gps tracker at the top of it? and it's legs, can it stretch out like that? :o 

On 4/19/2018 at 12:56 PM, Eric Morgan said:

I believe you can. but it may affect your drone's stability depending on the tracker's weight.

isn't there a light gps tracker? 

On 4/19/2018 at 12:56 PM, Eric Morgan said:

I believe you can. but it may affect your drone's stability depending on the tracker's weight.

On 4/17/2018 at 10:27 PM, ryanolivas said:

Can you attach a gps tracker into this? 

You can, it looks like there are several on the market. So far, I have not felt he need for a GPS tracker as the on screen display `gives me distance, direction, attitude, as well as a visual from the drone. I have intstalled a DJI 2.4 Data Link and Ground Station. That is not only a GPS tracker but allows for programmed flight. I used it once not taking into consideration the tree between it and the waypoint I asked it to go to. After hitting the tree, 3 motors burned up trying to reach that way point. So, I have been waiting for time, good weather, and wide open space to try out this feature again. I also have a Tile (blue tooth) attached to the drone. If it does go down, and I am within 10 meters it will give me a distance and a sound with which to find it.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:36 AM, Brian said:

You can, it looks like there are several on the market. So far, I have not felt he need for a GPS tracker as the on screen display `gives me distance, direction, attitude, as well as a visual from the drone. I have intstalled a DJI 2.4 Data Link and Ground Station. That is not only a GPS tracker but allows for programmed flight. I used it once not taking into consideration the tree between it and the waypoint I asked it to go to. After hitting the tree, 3 motors burned up trying to reach that way point. So, I have been waiting for time, good weather, and wide open space to try out this feature again. I also have a Tile (blue tooth) attached to the drone. If it does go down, and I am within 10 meters it will give me a distance and a sound with which to find it.

soo you need to replace the motors?

14 minutes ago, Donna Eastman said:

soo you need to replace the motors?

Yep, motors were replaced and it flies great now.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:20 PM, ryanolivas said:

actually there is. the trackimo guardian tracker. it's one of the lightest tracking device so far

On 4/21/2018 at 1:36 AM, Brian said:

Thanks for sharing. do you have any advice for a good gps tracker? i'm a beginner btw :)

On 4/23/2018 at 1:07 PM, Brian said:

Yep, motors were replaced and it flies great now.

is there a video regarding the flight of your drone? would be interested :)

On 4/24/2018 at 12:56 PM, ryanolivas said:

Thanks for sharing. do you have any advice for a good gps tracker? i'm a beginner btw :)

try searching for Marco Polo and Trackimo. both have their pros and cons. 

23 hours ago, Eric Morgan said:

try searching for Marco Polo and Trackimo. both have their pros and cons. 

looks like the MPolo is a bit bigger compared to the trackimo

On 4/26/2018 at 1:23 PM, ryanolivas said:

looks like the MPolo is a bit bigger compared to the trackimo

Yes it is. both work perfectly but the trackimo is much lighter compared to Mpolo

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric Morgan said:

Yes it is. both work perfectly but the trackimo is much lighter compared to Mpolo

Good to know Eric. thanks! 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 1:04 PM, ryanolivas said:

Good to know Eric. thanks! 

You're welcome :) Feel free to ask more questions. I'd be glad to help. 

• Like 1