Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm proud (and nervous and excited) to share a new training course I've been working on.

It's called Drone Pilot Ground School, and it'll soon become our flagship training course for commercial drone operators in the United States. As the FAA regulations mature and Part 107 replaces the Section 333 Exemption for the vast majority of low-risk sUAS flight operations, our team looks at Drone Pilot Ground School as a leading industry training course.

Our goal? To help our students learn about sUAS operations so they can pass the Part 107 Aeronautical Knowledge Exam / Drone Written Test, but more importantly to help new drone pilots gain the training and confidence needed to operate at a commercial level.

You can sign up for our pre-enrollment list by clicking any of the "Enroll in Training" buttons on our home page:

http://dronepilotgroundschool.com

We're shooting for a launch sometime in July.

Your questions and feedback are both welcome!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, George Fitzgerald said:

what will the fee be?

$300, but we'll be doing a launch promotion to the community. Additionally, existing Boot Camp students will be given a discount as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alan, I am interested to know more about the training modules and details.

FYI, i am just starting a drone community/business in Malaysia, most people(future clients, especially in high risk industry) have asked me that if my PILOTs are trained and CERTIFIED?

Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hans said:

Hi Alan, I am interested to know more about the training modules and details.

FYI, i am just starting a drone community/business in Malaysia, most people(future clients, especially in high risk industry) have asked me that if my PILOTs are trained and CERTIFIED?

Any advice?

Hey there @Hans.

The curriculum for the course is here: http://dronepilotgroundschool.com/curriculum

For pilot training, it's really on you to decide what's most appropriate for your pilots. I highly recommend a formal training program, whether or not you conduct the training yourself or put people through an online course like ours.

Since each country's airspace is managed differently, you have to look at local regulations. Here are the drone laws in Malaysia to better understand what it means to be an officially certified drone pilot:

http://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-malaysia/

Hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Alan Perlman,

Thanks for the response.

By the way, I have come across a guideline from Llyod's Register on "Guidance Notes for UAV (Inspection Services)".Refer attached. And in the guideline, it recommends that the UAS system have a two man team (as per below info)

"7.2 In-Flight Operations
7.2.1 Flight Team Size It is recommended that all UAS operations include a minimum of two personnel:

• Pilot (responsible for control of the UAS device).

• Camera/payload operator (responsible for control of any attached inspection equipment). 


It is recommended that the Inspection Data End-User reviews live video feeds to enable real-time suggestion and direction to the pilot.Any personnel involved or in proximity to the flight team should  avoid causing any unnecessary distraction to the pilot (e.g. communication, movement)."

Let me know what is your position on this. As i know some pilots that doesn't prefer others to have control over their camera.

Thanks in advance!

 

Hans


 

Guidance_Notes_for_Unmanned_Aircraft_Systems_Mar_2016.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2016 at 3:57 AM, Hans said:

Let me know what is your position on this. As i know some pilots that doesn't prefer others to have control over their camera.

Why do some pilots not prefer someone else to be controlling the camera? I do think a two-man team is MUCH stronger re: safety and working in a commercial environment than a single operator.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad enrollment is finally here.  I had registered my email,  for pre enrollment or notification  i guess, and it said I would be getting $50 discount for doing so.  It looks like I need a coupon code to get my discount, could I get that emailed to me?  I am anxious to get started.  Sorry if this is not an appropriate place to ask, but I don't see any way to directly email.  Thanks.

Edited by Bradley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

I am glad enrollment is finally here.  I had registered my email,  for pre enrollment or notification  i guess, and it said I would be getting $50 discount for doing so.  It looks like I need a coupon code to get my discount, could I get that emailed to me?  I am anxious to get started.  Sorry if this is not an appropriate place to ask, but I don't see any way to directly email.  Thanks.

Hey Bradley, I'll shoot you an email right now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alan,

I'm going to be in the US from tomorrow (Sept 16) until Oct 2. Is this enough time to complete your drone pilot course and sit the FAA test? I understand it may depend on availability of places at FAA test centers (I'll be in the LA area towards the end of my trip), but in general do you think that two weeks is long enough?

My other question is will the FAA certify a foreign national (l'm from New Zealand)? The training is important to me, but I'd also like to have the FAA certificate.

 

Thanks in Advance

Dave Mitchell

Geomatic Consulting International

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Saigondave said:

Hi Alan,

I'm going to be in the US from tomorrow (Sept 16) until Oct 2. Is this enough time to complete your drone pilot course and sit the FAA test? I understand it may depend on availability of places at FAA test centers (I'll be in the LA area towards the end of my trip), but in general do you think that two weeks is long enough?

My other question is will the FAA certify a foreign national (l'm from New Zealand)? The training is important to me, but I'd also like to have the FAA certificate.

 

Thanks in Advance

Dave Mitchell

Geomatic Consulting International

Hey Dave, while most students take 15-20 hours over 2-3 weeks to get through the course, we've had a few students cram over a much shorter period of time and pass their test. It'll be tough, but it's not impossible!

Yes, you can get certified as a foreign national. Make sure to review the identification requirements here: http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/testing_matrix.pdf

And here's some text from the FAA's website FAQ re: aircraft registration:

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?

If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: at this time, the FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the United States or its territories or possessions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Welcome to UCCF.

    The UAV Coach Community Forum is actively moderated by the UAV Coach team and offered to help serve those in the UAV industry. Use this space to meet and greet, to ask and answer questions, to share what you're working on, etc. Have fun, play nice, and fly safe! :)

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      3,163
    • Total Posts
      15,848