xpressoes

Don´t have GoPro to Yuneec Drone Typhoon G

Hello, my name is Fernando, i´m from portugal.

i was thinking to buy the Yuneec Drone Typhoon G , but i have one question,

I don´t have GoPro to atached the drone, can i use another camera?

Thanks

Fernando Viana

I have the Typhoon Q500+ it has it's own 1080p camera that works very well.

If your not planning on buying a GoPro something to keep in mind. I found this on one site. 

This would only work with that camera if it has the same footprint and HDMI output connection style as the Go Pro. There are holes for the gopro to press the start recording button and a hole for the connection cable to go through the frame. It would have to be exactly like the Gopro to fit without modification.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2016 at 6:10 AM, xpressoes said:

Hello, my name is Fernando, i´m from portugal.

i was thinking to buy the Yuneec Drone Typhoon G , but i have one question,

I don´t have GoPro to atached the drone, can i use another camera?

Thanks

Fernando Viana

Fernando. I'm also a newbie here but from what I understand the Typhoon G  is built specifically for the GoPro because of the gimbal mount. Don't quote me on that because I could be wrong. .

Edited by Snobird

If you look over in the pilots lounge section I posted some links on the Eken H8 action cam as a much cheaper ($60) alternative to a GoPro but although its the same size as the Hero 4 it does not have the same A/V out on its USB connector, only via its micro HDMI connector so you would need to check if this is compatible with your UAV. I have ordered one of these cameras for my home built UAV and will be installing it into a gimbal designed for the GoPro H4 so will be able to provide more information once it arrives and I've had a chance to test it out. Also one other thing that I recently learnt about GP style cameras (thanks to @Silk Purse) is that they typically have wide angle lenses which causes distortion called "barrel effect" which especially is not desirable for taking video or photos of buildings as they appear bent. I understand there is post processing software that can remove this but this is extra time spent and maybe not always provide a complete correction to the distortion. It looks like the higher end UAVs that come with their own cameras are fitted with lenses that have a narrow field of view which avoids this type of distortion.

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1