Dmitry Efremov

Members
  • Posts

    111
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    2

Dmitry Efremov last won the day on May 11

Dmitry Efremov had the most liked content!

1 Follower

About Dmitry Efremov

  • Birthday 11/26/1980

Recent Profile Visitors

549 profile views

Dmitry Efremov's Achievements

Rookie

Rookie (2/14)

  • First Post Rare
  • Collaborator Rare
  • Reacting Well Rare
  • Conversation Starter Rare
  • One Month Later Rare

Recent Badges

5

Reputation

  1. The lighthouse is located on the Saaremaa island, Kuresaare peninsula and helps vessels to pass between islands. In 1954 the concrete lighthouse in height 15 m and 17 m over the sea was established, visibility 9 miles. In 1966 the lighthouse visibility was 8 miles. In 1980 the radio isotope generator of energy worked at the lighthouse. Then the generator was removed, there was no the light on the lighthouse for one year. In 1995 the automated system which worked at solar and wind energy was installed. The visibility of the lighthouse was 7 miles. In 1999 the characteristic of the light was changed: The visibility was just 6 miles. Corporation Tideland Signal Ltd, lamp ML-300.
  2. The beautiful brick lighthouse together with its outbuildings (keeper’s house, staff house, sauna, storage hut, paraffin store, cellar, well) on the Sõrve peninsula on the eastern coast of the island of Saaremaa was built in 1907. The author of the design is generally considered to be the notable military engineer Alexander Yaron who at that time was engaged in lighthouse construction. During World War I, however, it became clear that the chosen location of the lighthouse was insufficient. Thus, in 1916 its apparatus was dismantled and relocated to a wooden lighthouse at Kübassaare. Today, the outbuildings remain in ruins as most of them were demolished already in the 1920s due to the lack of building material. Although the lighthouse has lost its initial function, it is valued as a remarkable piece of architecture with fine dolomite detailing and listed as an architectural monument.
  3. The lighthouse is located on east coast of the island of Saaremaa on the southernmost tip of the peninsula of Kübassaare, helps to be guided with the gulf to the North from the southern mouth of the passage. New wooden 26 m in height lighthouse was established on the peninsula of Kübassaare in time of the First World War in 1916. It was white from above and black from below. In 1921 on the lighthouse was lamp from the acetylene. In 1923 because of a lightning the lighthouse burned down. In 1924 the new concrete lighthouse was established, it was 18 m in height and 2,5 m in diameter. The new lamp was installed, light visibility was 14 miles. The height of light in 1928 and 1932 was 11 m and 17 m over the sea. In 1938 the height of light was 16 m and 22 m. The Kübassaare lighthouse was damaged in World War I by a gun-fire, but it was shortly restored. In 1964 visibility was 14 miles. The lighthouse was equipped with radio equipment which worked to 1980. There was electric generators and batteries. In 1990 the lamp L-500 was worked. In 1995 the new equipment were installed, which was updated in 2001. From old buildings near the lighthouse only cellar and a shed remained. The other buildings was constructed after World War II.
  4. Stāmeriena Palace (Latvian: Stāmerienas muižas pils; German: Schloss Stomersee) is a palace built in Historicist style from 1835 to 1843 in the historical region of Vidzeme, northern Latvia. Its first owner was Johann Gottlieb von Wolff (1756-1817) and subsequently his descendants. In 1905, during the Russian Revolution, the manor was burned down, but was later renewed by Baron Boris von Wolff (1850-1917) in 1908. Although it was rebuilt in different style it is considered one of the brightest architectural achievements of his time in French Neo-Renaissance style in Latvia. Stāmeriena palace was one of the few manors which were not nationalized after Latvian agrarian reforms in 1920s. So the von Wolff family continued to live there through the 1930s until 1939. The palace was presented as a gift to Andrei Pilar von Pilchau, the first - and homosexual - husband of the palace's owner Alexandra von Wolff-Stomersee. The Sicilian writer Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa lived in the Stāmeriena palace for a few years in the 1930s as he married the palace's owner Alexandra von Wolff-Stomersee (1894-1982) in 1932. After the second world war a technical school of agriculture was located in the palace. Later it was used as the administration building of the local state owned farm (sovkhoz). After the 1992 palace stood empty for six years but in 1998 it became a private property and since then the palace and landscape park around it are being restored and are open to visitors.
  5. Yeah last time I tried fly slower and it looks much more dramatic! Thanks!
  6. Varakļāni palace was designed by the Italian architect Vincenzo Macotti at the request of the estate's owner, Count Michael Johann von der Borch. Construction was begun in 1783 and completed in 1789. The palace was one of the first buildings in the classicism style in Latvia. It is an architectural monument of national importance consisting of 3 parts, which are connected by galleries. In the central part of it, there is a tower with a gallery, which burned down at the beginning of the 20th century. The palace has two storeys in the middle part of it and in the wings of it. The building housed the Varakļāni secondary school from 1921 to 1960. The palace and grounds are currently administered by the town of Varakļāni.
  7. The nature reserve was created in 1982. Its purpose is to protect the eponymous bog, one of the largest in Latvia and the Baltic states. The nature reserve covers an area of 19,779 ha (48,870 acres), of which 13,681 ha (33,810 acres) is composed of Teiči bog. In this wet area, veritable little lakes have formed in places and there are in total 18 such lakes within the area, but in other places raised patches of firmer ground form little islands in the bog. The reserve is home to a number of rare or threatened species, including 38 protected species of flowering plants and ferns and 24 protected species of moss. It is an important habitat also for animals, including invertebrates. It is an internationally important locale for both migratory and sedentary birds. Specimen of most of the birds known to inhabit Latvian wetlands can be found here, some in large numbers — for example cranes and geese. On one of the islands in the nature reserve, Siksala, a small group of Old Believers live. Ethnic Russians, they arrived on Siksala island in the 17th century, escaping religious persecution, and still maintain their village.
  8. The surrounding area of Nogale historically belonged to the episcopal diocese of Courland, in what was once called Erwahlen. The last bishop, Herzog Magnus, also acted as a feudal lord. At the beginning of the 17th century, the manor of Nogale belonged to the district administrator Friedrich von Brunnow. The family acted as key landholders for approximately 100 years, until the property was sold to Magnus Georg von Fircks by Niklas Georg von Brunnow in 1710. The von Fircks barony then owned Norgale Manor for almost 200 years. The widow of the Baron Ernst von Fircks, born as Baroness Marie Behr, then sold the property to Otto von Transehe, who owned the manor until 1910. The Baroness Marie von Nolcken then took over the property until it was expropriated in 1920. The mansion designed by the architect Theodor Seiler in the Neoclassical style, and is set in the middle of a scenic landscape. Due to the heavily-wooded and game-rich surrounds, it was also known as the hunting lodge of Baron von Fircks. Furthermore, its magnificent structure and features meant the mansion was also called “the Rundale of Courland”, in reference to its likeness to the stately Baroque palace. The two-storey, 12-axled house stands on a high base level and has an imposing ionic portico on the park side. Also extending to the park is a small pavilion. The courtyard-facing side features a 3-axled portal with columns and gives an unusual visual effect due to the separate uniaxial façade of the left side. The interior of the house is still remarkable today, most likely due to the restoration that was first undertaken in the 1980s. Neo-Baroque paintings cover the walls and ceiling, with Majolica ceramics, ornately decorated fireplaces and stoves also featured. From the garden terrace you have a spectacular view of the lake, which covers over 2 hectares and is over 20 m deep. In the approximately 3-hectare sized park, the centuries-old oak trees are particularly noteworthy.
  9. Each autumn and spring one can see an exciting phenomenon here, as the fish try to clear the rapid by jumping over it. About 300 years ago, Jacob, the Duke of Courland, invented a way to catch with baskets placed along the rapid the fish that came upstream to breed and jumped across the rapid. Due to these fishing devices invented by Duke Jacob, Kuldīga used to be called to be a town where you can catch salmon in the air. One could catch as many as 80—100 salmon a day.
  10. The complex contains three buildings. Large Sphere building was used depending on the day and event time as a dinning place, movie Theatre, place for disco or conference center. Second one was used as a hotel and a third, large building used to be a brilliant hotel for a soviet people, but seems it was never finished. Near the complex, you may find a ski track. Seems it was a pretty nice place, until it gets abandoned after the of USSR.
  11. The complex consists of the Swedish Gate, Priekule Manor building and the manor viewing tower. Korff barons ruled in Priekule since the 15th century. At that time the manor itself and the manor fortifications were built to defend against pillagers. The drive-through Swedish Gate was built in 1688 and its central part was decorated with the Korff Family coat-of-arms, silver bullet and maskaron carved in Gotland sandstone. Two threatening stone guards stood in the niches built in both sides of the passageway of Priekule manor gate. There was a belief before World War II – those kissing the gate guard’s bellybutton will be happy in the future. Today the Swedish Gate is guarded by wooden soldiers made by a local craftsman, but the belief about kissing the bellybutton still exists. Priekule manor was built in the 18th century and experienced extensive reconstruction in the second half of 19th century supervised by the famous architect Paul Max Berchi; parade stairs, second floor hall exit-balcony and the manor viewing tower were built within the reconstruction. In 2014, during the Fest of Icarus, “The Genealogy tree of barons von Korff 15th–20th century” was opened in the gateway of the Swedish Gates. Today the manor is the home of Priekule Secondary School.
  12. Lielauce manor in 17th century was owned by Duke of Courland and Semigallia Friedrich Kettler who in 1624 together with all his court lived in the manor. Current manor building is built in the beginning of 19th century when it was bought by von Medem family. At the end of the 19th. century property was bought by count von Pahlen as his summer residence. During Christmas of 1900 manor building was heavily damaged by fire. In 1901 restoration works started. As a result building got more Neo - Classical appearance. After Latvian agrarian reforms of 1920 manor building was used as a school. Today building is owned by Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies. Interiors are preserved in several rooms.
  13. According to myth, the Bay of Paleopkastrista is where Odysseus first encountered Nausicaa, the beautiful young princess of the island. The beautiful, heart-shaped bay is certainly an appropriate meeting-place for the pair, as many scholars believe the couple represents one of the earliest depictions of unrequited love in literature. Odysseus is drawn to the beautiful woman, and she even states that she would like to have a husband like the Greek warrior, yet never expresses any interest in Odysseus himself. Despite her father’s approval of a potential marriage between the two, they never have a romantic relationship, and Nausicaa is the only woman that Odysseus never tells his wife, Penelope, about when they are finally reunited. In addition to its Homeric history, the village of Paleokastritsa also features a 13th-century monastery, which now houses a museum. Located 25 km (15 miles) northwest of the island’s major town, Paleokastritsa one of the best-known sites on cosmopolitan Corfu, due to its history and unparalleled natural beauty.
  14. Porto Timoni is a unique beach, hidden and not very known, below Agios Georgios Pagi village and Afionas. Actuallly, there are two different beaches which are separated by a small strip of land. The small one is Limni and the big one is Porto Timoni. As a matter of fact, this location is wonderful as grassy, dense hills end on these two beaches, one with reqgular blue waters and the second with deep blue waters. These coves as you will find out have distinctive water temperatures. To go to Porto Timoni you have to follow the path that, starts from the small square of Afionas. The duration of the passage until the shore finish in around 20 minutes but, it is necessary be cautious as the road, even though it is a walk, is brusque and in many spots craggy. The three things you will discover in Porto Timoni are the closed bays, very clear waters and a few bathers. Clearly this is a quite unknown beach and thus you need to have a bottle of water and all the necessities in order to stay there. You could stay on the path towards the lip of the peninsula that, reaches to the church of Agios Stylianos which is built in a small cave.