Dmitry Efremov

Members
  • Content Count

    90
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by Dmitry Efremov

  1. Haapsalu Castle is an architectural gem built in the 13th century, which until the end of the 17th century was the seat of power of the local authorities. This is one of the best-preserved castles in Estonia and home to the most famous ghost in Estonia – the White Lady! There is a museum on medieval history in the main castle, through which you can also get to the southern cathedral, first mentioned in writing in 1279. There is a children’s playground inspired by the Middle Ages in the moat.
  2. Watching tower near Parnu, Estonia. Tower built near the Baltic Sea on the national wildlife park. Not far from tower you can see some wild cows!
  3. Laupa manor is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of 20th century Estonian manor architecture; it was completed in 1914 and it is one of the most prominent examples of the retro trend in Art Nouveau style in Estonia. Since 1922, the manor has been used as a school building; currently, it is occupied by Laupa Basic School. The school belongs to the Järvamaa Mõisakoolide Ühing (Järvamaa Manor School Society). The manor park was re-modelled and extended at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century.
  4. Happy to hear! Yeah, I think Chicago and just few other lakes in the world got a lighthouses on it. Need to google it
  5. Thank You! Anyway each lighthouse, at least old lighthouse, got its own, interesting story. I love to found it and share with others. Have a great day!
  6. The railway terminus with its intriguingly grand station building, constructed in the early 20th century to service the bustling resort town of Haapsalu, invites you to take a virtual journey back in time, accompanied by steam engine noises, to learn about the evolution of railways in Estonia spanning almost a century and a half. Here you can also see different methods of communicating information, from early telegraph and telephone devices to the wireless communications and television. Old locomotives and carriages made their final stop here and you can also come across a polite stationmaster
  7. The Tahkuna peninsula at the northern tip of Hiiumaa is the site of Estonia's tallest cast-iron lighthouse. The 43-meter high, state-of-the-art white tower with a green cupola was assembled in 1875 from parts manufactured in France. The slender, distinctively square-patterned lighthouse's various floors host exhibitions and installations, and the facility is used for theater performances and concerts. The lantern room and balcony are accessible via an elegant, characteristically French spiral staircase. A seaside hiking trail leads from the lighthouse to another landmark, the Tahkuna greatston
  8. This wooden copy of the famous French tower with a height of 31 m is one of the most controversial sights of Estonia. At its top, there are two flags waving: Estonian and French. The tower was built by a local resident Jaan Alliksoo at his yard, and it quickly became one of the most visited attractions of the island.
  9. At the western tip of Hiiumaa, close to the Kõpu beacon, is the bright red Ristna lighthouse. The tower consists of two metal cylinders placed one on top of another, with a spiral staircase inside; its distinguishing features include eight wrought-iron support pillars and a five-meter service room extending outwards from the top of the tower, with the lantern room on top of that. There is also a small eatery next to the tower. The nearby Kõpu lighthouse was frequently obscured by fog, so it was decided to build a new lighthouse at the tip of the peninsula. The new structure also had an extra j
  10. Suur Munamägi, 318 metres from the sea level, is the highest point of the Baltics. The observation tower on Suur Munamägi provides its visitors with a splendid 50 km range view of the Estonian nature. The current tower, the sixth in line, was constructed in 1939, and reconstructed in 1969. A total of 29.1 metres in height, it was renovated once more in 2005 and an elevator was built into the back of the tower. Interesting facts: A person standing on top of the tower is standing 346.7 metres above the sea level; The first tower was built in 1812. The height of Suur Munamä
  11. Palace - The representation rooms in the eastern wing of the palace – the Gilt Hall, the White Hall, and the Great Gallery – are open to the public. The central block accommodates the Duke's suite with reception parlours and private rooms, and the eastern block – a fully restored suite of Duchess's rooms. Park - The regular French style park with its rose garden, the Green Theatre, ornamental parterres and the fountain, are open for the public. In summers, the park becomes the venue for the Garden Festival. A Baroque palace cannot be imagined without the French garden, an elaborat
  12. The history of the oldest lighthouse not only in Estonia, but anywhere in the Baltic States and indeed on the Baltic Sea, stretches back 500 years, when landmarks were needed to guide ships in the Hanseatic League. The most important east-west trade route in Northern Europe passed the island of Hiiumaa and merchants complained of ships being lost on the Baltic Sea. This led to the construction of the lighthouse at Kõpu to warn ships of the low waters off the island. The lighthouse was built at 67 metres above sea level at the highest point on Hiiumaa. It stands 36 metres above the ground, mean
  13. The stone castle started to appear on the place of the former Estonian stronghold in 1224. The fortress got its final shape and size in the beginning of the 16th century and was one of the distinguished fortresses in Estonia and Latvia. Due to wars between Sweden, Poland and Russia all that is left from the entire order castle today are just a few stone walls. Already in the beginning of the last century the ruins of the fortress and the park around it turned into a recreational area for the residents of Viljandi. In order to access the castle hills from town a rope bridge was build from the K
  14. Viljandi (Estonian pronunciation: [ˈʋilʲˑjɑnʲˑdi]; German: Fellin) is a town and municipality in southern Estonia with a population of 17,407 in 2019. It is the capital of Viljandi County and is geographically located between two major Estonian cities, Pärnu and Tartu. The town was first mentioned in 1283, upon being granted its town charter by Wilhelm von Endorpe. The town became a member of the Hanseatic League at the beginning of the 14th century, and is one of five Estonian towns and cities in the league. The once influential Estonian newspaper Sakala was founded in Viljandi in 1878.
  15. First time experience low storage on SD Card issue. After switching to internal memory smoothness of video was gone. Frame rate dropped to 19 f/s.
  16. It's one year since I owe a DJI Mavic Air! A bit of statistics: 🚀 Total flight time: 14h 46m 🚀 Total distance: 159.019m 🚀 Total flights: 116 🚀 Top Speed: 70.1 km/h
  17. Complex of this manor developed at the Medieval castle that has not preserved. Ludvig Butlar got this estate as feud in 1506. This was his family heirloom for 190 years. Next proprietors were von Brincken house. As they were not so good managers, this estate was put on auction sale in 1722. Lieutenant Fridrich Kasimyr von Brucken became the proprietor of this estate in 1723. His daughter married for the third time on Jochan Fridrich von Medem in 1767. He was managing the manor complex after her decease in 1780. In 1799 he gained the title of count. In 1880 the manor was completely rebuilt so
  18. Bauska Castle is situated on a picturesque spit of land where the Mūsa and Mēmele rivers converge into the Lielupe. The Bauska Castle ensemble consists of two sections. Livonian Order Castle, built in the middle of the 15th century, is the oldest one - with only ruins remaining. A more recent part of the ensemble, built in the late 16th century, is the residence of the Kettlers, the Dukes of Courland. The oldest part of Bauska Castle is the Livonian Order Fortress, built specially for the use of firearms. It is a characteristic example of Latvia’s 15th-17th century military constru
  19. Nurmuiža Castle built at the end of the 16th century to head development of the local agriculture. The rooms of Nurmuiza castle are to be considered as one of the most effective interiors in Neoclassicism manner in the castles of Latvia. The building complex of the estate consists of several 18th–19th century buildings completed with a landscape park. Currently significant heritage preservation work takes place in the castle, all complex of the estate and the park. Private property, but open to public. Neoclassical interior. Ongoing extensive renovations.
  20. Estate known as Jaunmokas was first mentioned in documents in 1544. The Neo-Gothic style structure with Art Nouveau elements was designed by architect Wilhelm Ludwig Nicholas Bockslaff (1858-1945), and built in 1901 as a hunting lodge for Mayor of Riga George Armitstead (1847-1912). George Armitstead owned the manor until 1904 when it was sold to Brinken family. In 1910 it was again sold and became property of von Ungern-Sternberg family who owned manor until 1918. During Latvian agrarian reforms in the 1920s manor was nationalized and its lands partitioned. In 1926 children sanatorium w
  21. After repeated requests of local fishermen, a lighthouse was built in the headland of Kurmrags in 1923 as the landmark location between the ports of Ainazhi and Riga. Originally, it stood in the meadow next to the steep slope of the coastline. During a tornado in 1967, the lighthouse was destroyed and the light was turned off. The next tornado in 2005 flushed the lighthouse into the sea, leaving it all warped in the sea couple of metres away from the shore. The Ķurmrags lighthouse is popularly styled as the Smugglers Lighthouse, and the near bay – as the Smugglers Bay, because at the early 192
  22. Likteņdārzs is a symbol created in nature. It indicates continuous recovery and growth of the nation — this is where both human and state history, the present and future meet. Likteņdārzs, not unlike the Monument of Freedom, is created thanks to donations. It has been planned as a gift from the nation for the centenary of the Latvian Republic.
  23. Can't find any more info on that. Seems it was built during USSR times across the country.