Rours

Looking for Study Guide for FAA Part 107 Knowledge Exam

I'm scheduled to take the FAA Part 107 Knowledge Exam for sUAS Operators License.  Has anyone found good online study materials for this?  Also has any else taken or preparing to take this exam?

You're a few steps ahead of me but when the time come I probably plan to take commercial prep course that Alan offers.  I'm flying blind when it comes to this FAA stuff but I intend to be fully compliant and offer my services to area businesses.  I would be interested in hearing how it goes with you and your thoughts on the exam.

I took the course.  You probably will not pass the test unless you know how to read charts and know about all the rules about flying in different zones and who to contact towers about flights.  Also, need to know about weather and fronts and stuff.  The rest is common sense.  But, definitely wouldn't attempt without training.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the helpful advice.  I have tapped into a number of sources and put together what I think is a pretty good study guide, but we'll see.  I take the test on the 30th.  If needed, I will be coming back to find a good online course.  

I am looking for a good place to study the charts that will be one the part 107 test. Does anyone know a place to find these online?

Edited by Flip

On 8/24/2016 at 2:35 AM, Johng said:

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

How valid are these? These were sent to me when I signed up for the Part 107 test and I am looking for input.

If you don't know how to answer those questions, you'll fail the exam. They're valid :)

Didn't imply that you didn't...that was more of a blanket, rhetorical response for anyone reading this thread :)

I'm just fielding a lot of phone calls and emails from wannabe professional operators who are saying, "This stuff is too hard. Do I really need to learn it? These questions are stupid. I'm only flying a small drone over someone's house. I'm not flying a Cessna."

These questions are geared explicitly by the FAA toward sUAS operators seeking to become certified. More on that in the UAS Airman Certification Standards. A strong sUAS operator understands the airspace around him or her, and knows the national airspace system well enough to understand the difference between controlled and uncontrolled airspace, things to look out for, how to interpret radio communications from other pilots, how to know what happens at and around airports, both towered and un-towered, etc. I'll be the first to criticize the wording / phrasing of some of these questions and generally antiquated approach toward the Aeronautical Knowledge Test, and I have strong opinions about some of this stuff, but this 60-question multiple choice test and these newer, much more sensible Part 107 regulations when compared to what we've had up to this point, it's great news. We're heading in the right direction. The sooner people align themselves with the FAA and turn off their complain brain, the better this industry will become.

OK, rant over :)

So, I am totally new to the whole FAA testing, and I'm not ready to go down that path just yet. I've been flying for about a year now and can see the opportunities, but just not sure how far I want to go. Not looking to start a business as such. But how would I find out where my closet testing facility is? Can I contact my local airport or are there designated sites? I am hearing that the actual test is somewhere around $150, is that correct? I do also understand that some studying is definitely needed. I see that Alan does provide training, and not that it is over-priced, but just trying to understand what the total costs would end up being if an average guy wanted to become certified to be able to fly commercially. 

PSI formally Lasergrade have recently updated their website with lots of information about the rules around testing.  They also provide a phone number 1-800-211-2754 to talk to someone about scheduling a test.   The test is $150.   The following materials should be enough to get you through the test.  

They are also available from the PSI website.

I have used https://dronesafetycorp.bridgeapp.com/learner/courses $245 Course 3 days study+ as thee basis then studied the details in FAA AIM manual and UAs FAA test guidelines and read all part of the final rule numerous time then used http://www.sarahnilsson.org/aviation/uag-test-prep-1/ to pre-9. The best study material FREE online. 

I took the FAA 40 test sample (great way to assess what you know and lookup answers in the FAA study material as Sarah Nilsson web explain.

Notes on FAA sample test questions:

Question 6 (Refer to FAA-CT-8080-2G, Figure 21) Devil's Lake West MOA, east of area 2. How would you find out it the MOA is active?

1. Refer to the legend special use airspace phone number (This information is provided in sectionals by a boxed note in black type. The note provide radio frequency information to get activity status)
  2. This information is available is the Small UAS database (There is no db existing)
  3. In the Military Operation Directory (Not possible only route information is available in the FLIP Department of Defense publication or on the 56 Day NADS no contact information!)

I assumed #1 is the correct answer yet guideline and rules indicate to check for note box on sectional (none on the map provided) and the rules is to check NOTAM or contact FSS or ACT to get information on the activity. Note that the IR644-649 means MOA segments are above 1500ft AGL and you need to fly IFR - Detailed route info is only on the department of defense publication and do not indicate activity status so 3 seems misleading.

Question 25 (Refer to FAA-CT-8080-2G, Figure 26-Area 4) You have been hired to inspect the tower under construction at 46.N and 98.W, near Jamestown (JMS). What must you receive prior to flying your unmanned aircraft in this area?

1. Authorization from the military 
  2. Authorization from ATC
  3. Authorization from the National Park Service.

Well you cannot find any tower at the coordinate indicated in the map provided since it is the wrong one. The sectional chart in reference is WRONG. you can lookup the coordinate here . https://skyvector.com/ The towers are N46°9 W98°6 about 3NM SW of OAKES Airport (Non Towered) a class E airspace. Because you are within 3NM you need to contact and notify this airport to get authorization to fly there. So ATC number 2 should be the correct response but HARD to know with the wrong map!

Also Question 35 Low-level temperature inversion with high relative humidity? creates a condition with light wind shear, poor visibility, haze and light rain and NOT "Smooth air, poor visibility, fog, haze, or low clouds" as indicated in Sarah Nilsson website in the Question/Answer section. 

Wind shear is a change in wind speed and/or direction over a short distance. It can occur either horizontally or vertically and is most often associated with temperature inversions or density gradients. Wind shear can occur at high or low altitude. Wind shear may also be associated with a thunderstorm, a low-level temperature inversion. Low level wind shear can affect aircraft airspeed during take off and landing.

Good luck to all of you taking the test Monday - mine is scheduled Tuesday. I aim to score 100%. Will see ;-)

Edited by Dominique G

I took three on line courses.  Alan's UAV Coach was the best.  It seemed like each covered areas that the other didn't.  ASA and Dauntless were pretty good.  The plus for duantless was that it was app based and asked me lots of questions, so over time I learned the material or at least the questions by repeatedly answering them.  ASA was pretty much an on line test exam series as well.  I guess I took four(!),  I also took a course from CTI which was okay.  The instructor was really good and thoughtful with some helpful flying hints but the material when I took it was dated...apparently in one version of the rules we could fly to 500AGL.   Again, Alan's was the best.

But if you are looking for FREE, how about from the FAA?  http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf Came out to late to do me any good.  I passed on August 31st (first day it was available in my town and the second person to take it, according to the testing manager, in my city. 

What ever you study, good luck to you!

• Like 2

I passed the Part 107 with top grade on the 30th Princeton Airport. I really enjoyed studying and best was to me the FlyRobotic class I took back in Feb 2016. I read a tone of FAA material and pilot handbook - particularly interesting and motivating when what you learn is practical and applicable in real flight. Still have a lot to learn... I found this reference very helpful for anyone who get started - practical. Passing is good yet what is great is applying in daily operation the fondamentals learned. For aeronautic symbology charts reading I suggest this https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

Thank you for sharing. 

Edited by Dominique G
  • Like 1

Thanks to you also Bob N. I appreciate the info. I have plenty of time since I haven't actually scheduled a data for the test. I'm not against spending a few bucks for training at all, just trying to be reasonable because I have no intentions of starting a business, so if I can do some looking around and educate myself that will work for me. I'm sure if I decide to pay for training it would be with Alan. Glad to hear you guys are passing! Enjoy.

Here's my experience preparing for the exam.  I didn't want to spend $200 to $300 to pass the UAG Exam.  Knowing there were plenty of low cost and event free online tutorials. In my case, I used a I watched a few YouTube videos on METARS, TAFS and Sectionals and then found this really neat GooglePlay app call UAS107 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uas107.openrobotix.labs&hl=en) . Used the for 70% of my prep for the exam; and the app only cost me $5. Passed on my 1st try with an 85%.  My total cost to pass the exam:

$5 for UAS107 app
$150 for the test exam fee
———————————–
$155.00

On 8/22/2016 at 2:27 PM, Rours said:

I'm scheduled to take the FAA Part 107 Knowledge Exam for sUAS Operators License.  Has anyone found good online study materials for this?  Also has any else taken or preparing to take this exam?

I took the course back in July of 16. I spent probably two weeks of total time on the prep and then too the test in Sept 16.  Think I made an 87 or so. Alan's course is laid out well. It covers exactly what you need to know to pass the test and get you started in the UAS world. Once you finish the course you will have a good understanding of 14 CFR 107.

All you need after that is everything else. NTSB accident reporting requirements, state and local laws and ordinances, ect... Getting licensed is just the start of the journey....