Filming Real Estate

Bert

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any good advice as how to best break into the real estate market and what is expected as a deliverable product. I am sure some of you have experience this. Also wondering how to determine rates. 

Thanks!

Bert

Hi Bert, lots of good pricing threads on this forum. Go to the search bar and type in "pricing."

Had a great conversation with Jason over at http://realtourvision.com today. We're probably going to do a webinar that covers this exact question. In the meantime, I'll make sure  Jason sees this post so someone on his team can hop in and comment.

Hi Bert.

I've been doing aerial photography for real estate for something over 2 years now.  I got into it as an add on to my conventional photography business, and I've expanded from real estate to doing work for a solar company & a variety of other projects.  Starting out you have a fairly long road ahead of you.  As Alan mentioned, look for other threads here. There is a lot of really interesting information.  The first step, of course, is to gain proficiency in maneuvering and positioning your UAV to be able to get the shots you'll need. I think if I were in your situation I'd want to talk to some people already doing real estate photography to get a sense of pricing and maybe partnering with them.  Nothing, though, is more important or useful than a really good portfolio of your work.  Good luck!

Hi Bert,

My company works with photographers who are looking into breaking into the real estate photography field on a daily basis. Realtors and homeowners often have different expectations as to the final product they receive. Some like still images only, while others like a fully interactive multi media presentation (virtual tours) to market their properties with. You can see some examples of virtual tours here: http://www.realtourvision.com/tour-gallery.html 

One of the primary things that help folks break into the industry is networking. You can do a lot with normal marketing but nothing brings in business more than meeting face to face and establishing relationships. Some folks like to do a shoot or two for free or greatly discounted, but others feel that can hurt you in the long run. I will let someone who is doing RE photography on a daily basis speak more on that.

First thing I would do is scout out the competition in my area. What are they charging? Don't be afraid to charge more for your work, if you are able to create a superior product. Selling the value you bring to the table will be important, but if you establish your value early you will find yourself making as much money with less work than those who are undercutting the market. Fstoppers had a great article on this recently: https://fstoppers.com/business/photographers-stop-asking-clients-their-budget-143662 

Aerial photographer is very hot right now and demands a higher price than still images inside the house, but most folks still want the still images as well.

Archived