Spitfire76

sUAV Registration - Hobby to Commercial ?

I must have missed in the FAQs and so was under the impression that my existing registration for hobby use was also valid for commercial use but that's not the case. Unlike hobby use which covers all UAVs owned by the registrant each UAV has to be registered for commercial use. But does that mean I can't use them for both or can I just switch FA numbers ?

"Unmanned aircraft flown for work or business must be registered individually, and each registration costs $5. Registrants must supply their name, address, and email address, in addition to the make, model, and serial number (if available) for each UAS they want to fly"

Edited by Spitfire76

Thanks @Alan Perlman I already had registered last December but of course under the model aircraft account which covers all the model aircraft that I own. What I did not know is that I have to register again but for each UAV that I want to fly commercially. I don't have an issue with that but my concern is that once an UAV is registered for commercial use does it mean it can't be flown for recreational purposes and how does that effect the AMA insurance coverage. I'll guess I need to pose this question to the AMA.

AMA insurance only covers hobby flying. Of course, you can use your commercial aircraft for hobby flying, just ensure you are operating under the correct rules.

On 8/26/2016 at 11:14 AM, Spitfire76 said:

my concern is that once an UAV is registered for commercial use does it mean it can't be flown for recreational purposes and how does that effect the AMA insurance coverage.

I'm not familiar with the AMA fine print, but I was always under the impression that their insurance only applied when flying recreationally, on AMA-sanctioned fields.

Even if an sUAS is registered commercially, you can still operate recreationally. I don't have a particular statute to reference there, but I recall hearing this from multiple people. Directly from the FAA as well.

Quote from the top right of the AMA membership page.

"And you're covered whether you choose to fly at an AMA club field, park, backyard or wherever."

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1