GMillsNC

Litchi v. Autopilot app

Creeping past Newbie status putting more hours in - so much fun.  I've become familiar and more confident with my DJI P3A features like Follow, POI etc

I'm enjoying videography and pictures, but also have an eye to more pragmatic subject areas that @Alan Perlman posted about.

In turn this lead me to research on waypoint setting apps like Autopilot and Litchi 

Looking for wisdom on these 2 apps, or others, from this elite group of experts. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I use Autopilot in my operations with my DJI Inspires.  Can't do without it.  It has a high learning curve, but once you have it, it starts to make sense.  You can program all kinds of mission types, including very complicated waypoint missions.  You can create flight paths and focal strategies before you even get to your shoot site.  Once you get to your site, you can just launch, engage autopilot and the bird autonomously flies and videos the mission.  I suggest you take all the tutorials that are offered and read the manuals thoroughly several times.  Just do a google search for autopilot (especially youtube).  Autoflight Logic (creators of Autopilot) has very good video tutorials on their product.  They keep adding more functionality to the app, so you need to keep up with the updates.  This is a very advanced autonomous application...as I mentioned earlier, do your homework with the manual and the videos and you will start to feel a lot more comfortable using Autopilot.  Their support is by email only...not set up for telephone support yet and they have been very helpful to me with certain issues I was having.  I chose Autopilot over Litchi because of all the advanced pre-programming you can do, both with flight creation and focal strategy.  When I say focal strategy, that means you program what the camera is going to do while flying the autonomous waypoint mission.

• Like 1

Thanks Hawkeye Aerial. My research also came to the same conclusion - very powerful but a very steep learning curve. One appealing aspect of litchi is it's downloaded to the UAV and not just code added to the app on the controller. As I understand it that means it can continue its flight plan even if communication with the controller is lost. I'm wondering if Autopilot might be too complicated for me at this point.  On the other hand starting with one then moving to the other might be tricky as well.

Thanks for your detailed reply. Hopefully someone with similar Litchi experience will reply too.

There is an option to continue a mission if communication with the controller is lost.  It does give you a warning, but you can continue.  You choose the option when you create the mission.  One nice thing about Autopilot is you can create all the missions you want (Orbit, Pano, Waypoint, etc) and save each individual mission directly to your device.  You can create an account with Autopilot and save them to your account.  If you are using an iPhone or iPad, they can then be shared on any IOS device that you may own.  This is really nice since I use multiple IOS devices with my aircraft.