RicardoGray

Intoduction-Hello Fellow Flyers!

Just wanted to say hello. I have been flying a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced for just short of a year now. Have had a great time learning and flying. I have quite a collection of pics & videos that I just couldn't have imagined before I bought this. I am kind of interested about getting certified as a drone user, but not wanting to really start a business. I am just a hobbyist right now and enjoy sharing my pictures with friends and such. This is such a great sport, and one can only imagine what is to come with all of the technologies out there.

Hello! Welcome. 

Getting your Part 107 isn't a bad idea. Knowledge of the FAA and the airspace around is always good information to have. With that said you, don't have to get one. with part 107 the FAA is making a very clear distinction between the Hobby/recreational flyer and people using their aircraft for gain.

However, the FAA will start cracking down on people they may perceive to be flying for money. In most cases, for example, shooting a friends house for a real-estate listing for free is not considered recreational or a hobby as your friend will profit from the photo you have taken. You would have to check with a drone lawyer to make sure everything is on the up and up.

A Part 107 airman certification will cost you 150.00 to take the test. If you choose an online study course like the Drone Ground Pilot Course that uavcoach.com offers you are in to the whole thing for 450.00 total with the FAA test. 

You can continue to fly for free without certification, however the knowledge that I have gained by taking the course was well worth the 300.00 price tag even if I don't take the FAA test.

Remember, MORE KNOWLEDGE IS NEVER BAD.

I leave you with this article I read the other day. Not sure how true it is, I didn't follow up on all the facts but I found it fascinating. Just remember most FAA fines are around 1100.00 for drone infractions. 

http://dailysignal.com/2016/06/12/he-flew-a-drone-to-take-photos-for-a-friend-now-hes-facing-55k-in-government-fines/

Have a great day!

• Like 1

I really appreciate the information. Certainty good stuff!!! I will for sure look some more into that. Yeah, I think going forward there will be some changes for sure, and it is better to be prepared. Have a good one!

• Like 1

Hello,

im also new to flying drones...located in Jax,Fl

i was wondering if the $450 course is interactive or is it just reading material? Also where can i find this course?

57 minutes ago, Chagito85 said:

Hello,

im also new to flying drones...located in Jax,Fl

i was wondering if the $450 course is interactive or is it just reading material? Also where can i find this course?

You can find us over at http://dronepilotgroundschool.com.

We have 30+ videos, and you get direct one-on-one support from me along the way. Hope to see you as a student!

Just joined the forum from Prescott, AZ.  I fly a P4 and rated under part 107.  I simply added it to my ATP/CFI ratings.  The P4 stability is amazing.  Video shots are rock steady.  Do members find that 60 fps slows things to good effect for buildings?  Or just shoot standard frame rates and pan slowly?  What video editing software for dummies is suggested?  Mostly just need to clip and crop.  Thanks for any replies and have a great Turkey Day.

Edited by flightlogic
spelling
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 11:27 AM, flightlogic said:

Just joined the forum from Prescott, AZ.  I fly a P4 and rated under part 107.  I simply added it to my ATP/CFI ratings.  The P4 stability is amazing.  Video shots are rock steady.  Do members find that 60 fps slows things to good effect for buildings?  Or just shoot standard frame rates and pan slowly?  What video editing software for dummies is suggested?  Mostly just need to clip and crop.  Thanks for any replies and have a great Turkey Day.

I'd recommend Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere.