Marcel Graham

Part 107 test tomorrow

11 hours ago, Isaac said:

Anyone who took their test on the 30th get their temp yet? 

I haven't gotten mine yet and I took mine on the 30th. Wasn't able to do my IACRA application until the night of the 31st. So, with the holiday weekend I'm not getting my hopes up on receiving it tomorrow. 

Thanks FBD. Just wanted to see if I was being lost in the works. I have been waiting for this for so long I can't stand it! lol Post up when you get it though. I'll do the same. 

22 hours ago, Isaac said:

Anyone who took their test on the 30th get their temp yet? 

I took mine too on the 30th and submitted my application on the 1st but it did state that it would take 2 - 4 days to issue the temporary certificate so I am not expecting it until the middle of next week.

I passed my exam on the 31st and also expect it to be mid-to-late next week due to the holiday before seeing any temporary permit.

But I would gladly accept an earlier surprise email!

Sorry for the delay, there was an issue at the testing center yesterday and I was unable to take the test. They rescheduled me for this morning and I passed!

Yay, so, here are my thoughts...

The supplemental manual that they gave was a poor quality print. It really made it difficult to read the fine print on the sectional charts for frequencies. I believe that I could have asked for larger charts but didn't. I don't feel that it would have change the outcome much. Not sure if anyone else has a problem with this.

Next, the UAVCOACH DRONE PILOT SCHOOL is amazingly thorough.

The Practice tests where accurate to the real experience and I felt amazingly comfortable with the answers. 

I have to had taken the practice exams about 20 times. I believe my highest was a 95 I think and lowest a 73 early morning no caffeine. I ended with an 82% on the FAA test. I feel that I may have done a few points higher with a clearer supplement but in the long run a pass is a pass and it wouldn't have made that much of a difference. If I felt I bombed maybe I would have taken the time to ask.

Having the ability to wait to see how everyone else was doing on the test and Alan updating the course notes was an incredible help. I will be defiantly be telling my friends to enroll.

@Alan Perlman How about giving us an incentive program for referring people to the courses. I would love to take the some of the other courses UAV COACH offers but undoable at the moment. You know tell a friend get $50 off type of thing. Just a thought. :-)

Anyway, thank you to the FOURM and Alan and his team for making this possible. I am an awful online learner and this course, using the multiple learning styles between the lectures and the notes, quizzes after each section, incredible practice tests, and "bonus" lectures and information made learning this completely "new to me" information fun and exciting. 

Thank you all.

• Like 1

Drove over 4 hours to the testing site.  Took about 37 minutes to complete and then drove 4 hours home lol.  I am not a commercial pilot, but did do the ground school through this site.  It was very much helpful and Alan is quick with answering questions one may have.  I scored an 83% and lot of my test was using figures 75-82 so they were new to me.  A lot of mine was knowing what airspace certain towers were at.  

Very few questions on METAR, TAF or anything like that for me.  With the five practice tests that the ground schooled offered i held off on taking the last two until the night prior and I scored 90 and 95% on them.  It really is a crapshoot on the questions that they send your way.  

Good luck to everyone on their exam and we get to do it all over again in two years!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Juggernaught said:

Drove over 4 hours to the testing site.  Took about 37 minutes to complete and then drove 4 hours home lol.  

I scored an 83% and lot of my test was using figures 75-82 so they were new to me.  A lot of mine was knowing what airspace certain towers were at.  

Very few questions on METAR, TAF or anything like that for me. 

That is amazing dedication. I am sorry there was not anything closer. Would have sucked to drive that far and fail. Kinda like going to Vegas and having to fly 4 hours home with no money. 

Congrats on passing. I have found most people using the course are scoring around that range. 82 here. Did you find it hard to read your supplemental or was mine just poor quality?

METAR, TAF questions came up more often for me. Still good information to have. 

WTG! Congrats

1 minute ago, Marcel Graham said:

That is amazing dedication. I am sorry there was not anything closer. Would have sucked to drive that far and fail. Kinda like going to Vegas and having to fly 4 hours home with no money. 

Congrats on passing. I have found most people using the course are scoring around that range. 82 here. Did you find it hard to read your supplemental or was mine just poor quality?

METAR, TAF questions came up more often for me. Still good information to have. 

WTG! Congrats

My suplemental was pristine.  They had overlays to write on instead of the test itself.   

Yes, thankfully I passed or it would have been a very dismal drive home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Juggernaught said:

Drove over 4 hours to the testing site.  Took about 37 minutes to complete and then drove 4 hours home lol.  I am not a commercial pilot, but did do the ground school through this site.  It was very much helpful and Alan is quick with answering questions one may have.  I scored an 83% and lot of my test was using figures 75-82 so they were new to me.  A lot of mine was knowing what airspace certain towers were at.  

Very few questions on METAR, TAF or anything like that for me.  With the five practice tests that the ground schooled offered i held off on taking the last two until the night prior and I scored 90 and 95% on them.  It really is a crapshoot on the questions that they send your way.  

Good luck to everyone on their exam and we get to do it all over again in two years!

Congrats Juggernaught! Great job

-Wash

Wow, great thread, pardon the delayed response, and congratulations to everyone who passed this past week!

@Air One you asked about our course's success rate. I'm cautious to report numbers until we have some more statistically significant data, but our students are passing at a rate north of 95%, and I've confirmed that 143 of our students passed their test the first week. I'm really happy about that and expect our students to continue performing strongly.

To you, and to @Uaviator53, @Washington, @Spitfire76, @Isaac, @Steve Cole, @Marcel Graham, and others I may have missed...thank you for your feedback! Glad to hear you had a good student experience.

No, I don't have a traditional background in aviation. And I'm by no means an expert in all things sUAS. You should see what people write about me and our company in other forums! If I had a nickel...

But I love to teach, and our team carefully built and vetted our curriculum with a CFI / chief pilot of a Part 141 school, and we're wholeheartedly committed to our students. I feel really good about what we're doing...not just us, but this whole forum, all of you, how we're all doing our small part to push the industry forward. It's exciting.

@Isaac, to answer your question...yes, we're about to add a lot more practice questions!

@Marcel Graham, we do have a referral program. You can learn more at http://dronepilotgroundschool.com/partner

• Like 1

Here's a question I haven't heard asked. How strict is the FAA on prior DUI offenses? I got one 17 years ago and one 8+ years ago. As far as I know the first one drops off after 10 years so the second was counted as a first offense. I haven't had a drink in 6 years now and I'm hoping the DUIs don't  present a major roadblock for me. Anyone have any idea what my chances are?

46 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Here's a question I haven't heard asked. How strict is the FAA on prior DUI offenses? I got one 17 years ago and one 8+ years ago. As far as I know the first one drops off after 10 years so the second was counted as a first offense. I haven't had a drink in 6 years now and I'm hoping the DUIs don't  present a major roadblock for me. Anyone have any idea what my chances are?

My gut tells me you'll be fine. I don't have an official FAA or TSA response for you, but I really don't think this would be an issue.

Alan you said it wonderfully.

No, I don't have a traditional background in aviation. And I'm by no means an expert in all things sUAS. You should see what people write about me and our company in other forums! If I had a nickel...

But I love to teach, and our team carefully built and vetted our curriculum with a CFI / chief pilot of a Part 141 school, and we're wholeheartedly committed to our students. I feel really good about what we're doing...not just us, but this whole forum, all of you, how we're all doing our small part to push the industry forward. It's exciting.

You and your team put together a great course and you are always there to answers questions to all that take any of your courses as well as here on the forum. again GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Like 2

On 9/5/2016 at 8:33 PM, Isaac said:

Isaac - Here is the webpage for the FAA background check qualifications. Drug and alcohol record is a 2 year history check.

http://info.natacs.aero/id-and-badging/background-checks

BTW - A BIG CONGRATULATIONS! Six years and counting = awesome hard work on your part.

With high regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks Michael! I received my temporary certificate today! Couldn't be happier! Thanks again to Alans hard work on the course. Really paid off for him it appears and for my part well worth the money. Looking forward to other courses in the future! 

53 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Thanks Michael! I received my temporary certificate today! Couldn't be happier! Thanks again to Alans hard work on the course. Really paid off for him it appears and for my part well worth the money. Looking forward to other courses in the future! 

I'm still waiting on my number! Doh. This is what my IACRA account looks like:

applicant-console.thumb.png.78e090905db8

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Perlman said:

1 hour ago, Alan Perlman said:

Is the temporary certificate not valid without a number? I figured the number would be on the permanent. Why would they let you print it out if it wasn't valid?

1 hour ago, Washington said:

I'm standing still as well. Waiting on the temp! 

How are you still waiting? Does your IACRA account look just like Alans? Did your click on the "temporary certificate" button? I don't think you have to wait ion the certificate number. I looked it up and found that  a certified flight instructors temporary certificate says the same thing in block III "certificate number pending", but it is valid. Print them out!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Isaac said:

How are you still waiting? Does your IACRA account look just like Alans? Did your click on the "temporary certificate" button? I don't think you have to wait ion the certificate number. I looked it up and found that  a certified flight instructors temporary certificate says the same thing in block III "certificate number pending", but it is valid. Print them out!!!

Heading to the site now!

Update: 

Jeeez! Yup that was the case. I wonder why the Certificate numeber is pending however. hmmm

Edited by Washington

I'm thinking on the same lines as Isaac on this. It makes sense that they wouldn't give you a number until your background check is approved and the permanent certificate is issued. The temp cert seems to just be something you can carry and show that you've passed the test and applied for the permanent.

Edited by FlyByDroning

Seems like it is a valid certificate. "A.     Duration. Temporary airman certificates are valid for 120 days after the date of issuance. This time period is based on the workload of the Airmen Certification Branch, AFS‑760, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma."

Here is a quote I copied from a pilot forum-

"On the IACRA homepage I've been following the progress - which basically shows nothing happening - status is "Received by registry" and has been like that for two months now. My tempo license will expire end of this month. "

There is this from the FAA-

"A confirmation email will be sent when an applicant has completed the TSA security background check. This email will provide instructions for printing a copy of the temporary remote pilot certificate from IACRA." 

But there is also this in the IACRA help and information page pertaining to remote pilot applications- 

• Sign and Complete
    • You should now sign the Pilots Bill of Rights Acknowledgement form.
    • Sign and complete your application.
    • Your application is now complete and will be automatically sent to the Airman Registry.
    • After about 7 days, your temporary certificate will be available in IACRA. You will also receive an email reminder.
    • Your permanent certificate will arrive by mail...

Not sure if they could be much more confusing. LOL Perhaps they mean 7 days from when it shows, "received by registry" in the status bar? In that case I really won't get a temp till the 13th or later since mine was received by registry on the 6th? AAAAAARRRGH! I sent an email to the FAA help desk asking about it too. Wonder what new and interesting things they will tell me... 

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

"A.     Duration. Temporary airman certificates are valid for 120 days after the date of issuance. This time period is based on the workload of the Airmen Certification Branch, AFS‑760, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma."

Anyone know if you are able to apply for a waiver without an airman certificate number? Do we just put pending? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Logged in this morning to IACRA and woo-hoo my temporary certificate was waiting for me!!!!!!

FYI - I have yet to receive any email notifications so for those still waiting just keep logging in until you see the status change so you can download/print your temporary certification!

Up, Up and Away!!!!!

In case anyone else besides me had any doubt about the temporary certificate we are able to print 7 days after we applied is valid, I can say that it is. I emailed FAA help desk and they said -

"Your Remote Pilot Temporary Certificate is ready to be printed for Application #*******. Log into IACRA, then from your Applicant Console click the green "Temporary Certificate" button.

The temporary certificate gives you the authority to operate as a Remote Pilot for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) until your permanent certificate arrives. You are required to carry your certificate with you at all times when you are operating as a Remote Pilot."

• Like 1