Hey everyone, 

I was just curious how the Part 61 pilots in the forum are getting or planning on getting their temporary flight certificates. Are people going to go to their local FSDO or contact a designated pilot examiner (DPE) to have it done? I saw that CFIs can help submit the paperwork, but cannot issue temporary certificates. I have a call in to a DPE, but he has not called me back yet. I have my recent BFR and the Online UAS course done for UAS for Part 61 pilots. 

Thanks, 

Chris 

Ok I got it all figured out. I got issued my temporary flight certificate yesterday from a designated pilot examiner (DPE). I got his number from calling the flight school I rent manned aircraft from and asking who they used as the DPE. A CFI can do it too, but they cannot issue a temporary flight certificate and you will have to wait for the FAA to send you your certificate. The DPE met me at the flight school and went over all my paperwork. Once he was satisfied that it was complete he issued my temporary flight certificate. The DPE's do charge for their services, but I only paid $25.00 for him to push the paperwork through. The price may vary between DPEs though. 

I am now good to go start making money with UAS on my own!!!! YAY!!! 

Hope this helps anyone with a Part 61 rating. 

Chris  

• Like 1
On 9/5/2016 at 4:05 PM, Orangutan39 said:

A CFI can do it too, but they cannot issue a temporary flight certificate and you will have to wait for the FAA to send you your certificate.

Congrats, Chris! Glad to hear you got your cert!

This part that you wrote about a CFI actually isn't correct. I'm a Part 61 commercial pilot and a CFI, plus I just got my Part 107 sUAS certificate through a fellow CFI just last week, so I'm very familiar with the FAA's certification process. Existing and current Part 61 pilots actually can get their sUAV temporary certificates issued by going to a local CFI. As most certificated pilots now know, all new certificate applications are created and submitted through the FAA's online IACRA system. Once you, as a pilot applicant, log into IACRA and submit your 8710 application, you can go to the CFI of your choice. He can review your pilot documentation, course completion paperwork, and verify your flight review status is current, then the CFI can log into IACRA and sign and submit your application as the recommending instructor.

Once that is complete, when you log in to IACRA again, you will find a button labeled "temporary certificate" listed under the "Your Existing Applications" section (see attached screenshot of my IACRA page). Click that button, and it takes you to your temporary certificate, which you can print and sign. In general, a local CFI is more likely to charge less (in my case, I got it free) and their schedules tend to be more open than a DPE.

Screenshot (1).png

Edited by AirmetTango
  • Like 1