Hey again guys.

The moment is finally here. We are obtaining our certifications and in search of jobs. 

Because this market is "new", in a sense, what is the "standard" or ball park pricing we are charging for different services. (Yes there are many). 

We can say it's based upon location, experience, demand. Yes those all play a role. However, at the moment it's hard to justify pricing. Simply because there isn't much in this industry just yet. 

For myself, I'm starting off shooting real estate and exteriors for builders. What did photographers charge who shot out of a helicopter? Or what are you guys, and girls, basing your pricing off of to justify to your clients (in whatever area you may service)? Eventually our competition will be charging so low it'll be insane, but what is the standard at the moment to make the majority of the clients agree?

Any input is appreciated!

-Wash

Edited by Washington
  • Like 1

I  just had a business offer to shoot one of my schools from a Cessna 30 Hi-res jpegs for 249.00 that's 8.30 a shot.

"All photography is done by a pro photographer with our new 50 megapixel camera from a cessna aeroplane. We do NOT use drones." 

Shame they may get better angles. 

• Like 2

"All photography is done by a pro photographer with our new 50 megapixel camera from a cessna aeroplane. We do NOT use drones." 

That's funny. Apparently there's something magical about a photo taken from a Cessna versus one taken from a drone (?)...Who knew??? I must reexamine all those hours I spent flying manned aircraft to find the secret that so far has eluded me...

• Like 3

On 9/3/2016 at 10:13 AM, Marcel Graham said:

Buildings have LITTLE TO NO artistic value from 2000 feet. Hard to get a decent angle to make it look interesting. Excellent photographer maybe but...

The only real practical use of manned aircraft in aerial imaging  is geomap making and surveying. Best real estate/pretty pictures are made by UAVs...

15 minutes ago, Uaviator53 said:

The only real practical use of manned aircraft in aerial imaging  is geomap making and surveying. Best real estate/pretty pictures are made by UAVs...

I agree. However this company was not selling Mapping or surveying. Just Aerial shots. "(Business name) will be conducting Custom Aerial Photography of businesses and homes" (in my area) it goes on to say "Receive more than 30 full colour hi-res jpeg photographs custom shot to order, taken at various angles and delivered digitally on USB drive with full usage rights."

I mean, If I lived on a cliff in California overlooking an ocean maybe, but I live in Illinois VERY FLAT. 

I mean, that's what we buy drones for...the angle we can't get from a plane or the ground right? That and they are fun. LOL

sounds like desperation...most aerial photography businesses using fixed wing and choppers will be dead in less than 10 years...only specialized cinematography where the aircraft is part of the shot will be left...and with CGI that will go away too.

• Like 1

Agreed, it has already gone that way. Almost all of the reality shows use them, Mythbusters has been using them for years befor they went off the air. I guess California is where I need to be. Lol

• Like 1

On 9/1/2016 at 10:20 PM, Washington said:
On 9/1/2016 at 10:20 PM, Washington said:

Because this market is "new", in a sense, what is the "standard" or ball park pricing we are charging for different services. (Yes there are many). 

Hey Washington, I am facing the same issues with pricing. I am almost done building my website for my UAS business, but really have no idea what to charge. I have seen some companies that operate under half and full day rates depending on what they are doing. I don't want to sell myself short and charge too little, but I don't want to get cocky and charge too high potentially scaring away customers. 

Chris 

• Like 1

Im in the same boat.  I have a buddy that will be doing all my post processing through Adobe Premier and he said that he has worked with other sUAS pilots and they are getting $500-700 for all the video and photos.  Now these are primarily high end real-estate fly's but I would think just regular 1 day events you should be comfortable at or around $249-$349 for an hour fly/shoot.  If they want to get super detailed or want extra video maybe then charge $25-$50/hour extra.

I've already had a church offer me $200-300 to fly a car show they are doing and they simply want the video footage and no post processing.

Those are my initial thoughts moving forward in good ole' Oklahoma.

Please post thoughts.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Orangutan39 said:

Hey Washington, I am facing the same issues with pricing. I am almost done building my website for my UAS business, but really have no idea what to charge. I have seen some companies that operate under half and full day rates depending on what they are doing. I don't want to sell myself short and charge too little, but I don't want to get cocky and charge too high potentially scaring away customers. 

Chris 

Chris,

That's exactly it. I have a couple real estate shoots coming up. I will pitch the drone shots and see if they grab. I'm going to in a sense wing it. After all we go through, not only to provide the images, but research everything we need in the background will be justifying the price. 

Hopefully if the the agent grabs I'll be back with my own personal info. 

-Wash 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BDR Jake said:

I've already had a church offer me $200-300 to fly a car show they are doing and they simply want the video footage and no post processing.

Those are my initial thoughts moving forward in good ole' Oklahoma.

Please post thoughts.

That's great in my eyes. No post processing, only flight time. I'd grab onto that! 

I was was fortunate enough to work with a few buddies on a commercial for a "Spartan" type race. Where we each got paid $1000. For a half day of shooting. Happily I did not have to edit but it was a great entrance into this industry. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2016 at 0:11 PM, Washington said:

That's great in my eyes. No post processing, only flight time. I'd grab onto that! 

I was was fortunate enough to work with a few buddies on a commercial for a "Spartan" type race. Where we each got paid $1000. For a half day of shooting. Happily I did not have to edit but it was a great entrance into this industry. 

How many batteries do you carry on a shoot? Just wondering. 

• Like 1

I have 3 on me all the time.  For that specific shoot, I figured a half day shoot for that race wouldn't need more than an hour or so of footage (it's really the same thing occurring over and over).  

But I was able to have one battery on the charger rotating. 

On 9/6/2016 at 1:06 PM, Washington said:

Chris,

That's exactly it. I have a couple real estate shoots coming up. I will pitch the drone shots and see if they grab. I'm going to in a sense wing it. After all we go through, not only to provide the images, but research everything we need in the background will be justifying the price. 

Hopefully if the the agent grabs I'll be back with my own personal info. 

-Wash 

Keep us posted 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2016 at 3:17 PM, Washington said:

I have 3 on me all the time.  For that specific shoot, I figured a half day shoot for that race wouldn't need more than an hour or so of footage (it's really the same thing occurring over and over).  

But I was able to have one battery on the charger rotating. 

Just my two sense, but I wouldn't be too aggressive on rotating the batteries. Most manufacturers recommend that you do not charge immediately after usage and that you don't use a battery immediately after it's been charged. If the battery is still warm, it's best to wait it out. Otherwise you're looking at shorter overall battery life.

That being said, this is tough to do when you're on site at a shoot. I rotate with 4 on my Venom charger at my sites. It will actually charge all 4 Phantom 3 batteries at the same time. By the time I get to the 4th battery, the 1st one is done charging and already cooling. Honestly, I probably should get 2 more batteries just to make sure that I can wait the right amount of time in between usage. Not sure what the recommended wait time is...Probably worth looking into.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FlyByDroning said:

Just my two sense, but I wouldn't be too aggressive on rotating the batteries. Most manufacturers recommend that you do not charge immediately after usage and that you don't use a battery immediately after it's been charged. If the battery is still warm, it's best to wait it out. Otherwise you're looking at shorter overall battery life.

That being said, this is tough to do when you're on site at a shoot. I rotate with 4 on my Venom charger at my sites. It will actually charge all 4 Phantom 3 batteries at the same time. By the time I get to the 4th battery, the 1st one is done charging and already cooling. Honestly, I probably should get 2 more batteries just to make sure that I can wait the right amount of time in between usage. Not sure what the recommended wait time is...Probably worth looking into.

I definitely agree with that and I should have noted that. My understanding is being aggressive with any lipo batteries will cause damage over time with out a doubt.  For that specific shoot I didn't have to rotate more than once and I did let it cool down before placing back on the charger. I do also check the cells within the DJI app to check in on the batteries.

i have yet to look in depth at the manual for the P3 when it pertains to their batteries. 

Thank you for mentioning this because it is very important